Problem with SR-202 not accepting samples

Official support for: muon-software.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,

I recently picked up the free Muon SR-202 drum machine (and step sequencer) software vsti from the Computer Music dvd, having looked extensively through internet for any free drum machines that are simple to use and where you can load your own samples but the few that I found were either buggy or not working at all. I thought SR-202 would finally be the answer but unfortunately it refused to accept any sort of samples I threw at it (and I have tonnes).

Basically, as the user manual describes, the vsti will only accept 16bit and mono samples! Which seems very backward! However, if some samples nowadays can be 16bit or higher, definitely all are stereo. On that basis none would work for me on SR-202. I found out later that this is a very old software (like over 10 years) and there's no more support for it.

Are others that have used the vsti finding the same problem?

I'm wondering if there's a possibility to convert samples easily from mono to stereo? I think the 'bits' can be done in almost any DAW but what about stereo/mono conversion?

Also I realise that it's hardly worth the effort to change all my samples, so would anybody be able to suggest another drum machine that's also a step sequencer? Seeing as I got this one from a CM dvd, I'm sure they must offer another similar type of plug-in software, as they usually release loads.
Would anybody happen to know of another CM drum machine vsti?

Thanks in advance.

Max

I believe when you emailed the same enquiry to me just a few days ago, I suggested Audacity as a free sample editor that would do what you needed. I also suggested Wavelab and Audition as commercial alternatives, no doubt there are many many more.

...and of course, ten year old software appears backwards now. SR202 was created in the days of Pentium III processors, Windows 98, Mac G4 and OS8. No doubt it seems laughably clunky now :lol:

you can use wavosaur to convert all your samples at once. I am having this problem myself, looking for a good drum sampler... one of the drawbacks from quitting protrekkr... I have to find all new solutions that are fast for using samples.

You could go on over to the AMG website and check out Drum Producer (I think it's called, used to be called One), for only $50, if you already have a ton of samples then you don't need the library. It seems like a good total drum solution, it can do loop FSU as well. It has a sequencer. As far as bang for buck you can't beat it. I'll be grabbing it as soon as I have the extra cash. The included sample browser makes it a no brainer for me. Like I say i'm looking for something that I can put together kits fast and this is it. You can also like AMG on facebook and get the "solo" version for free... it can handle your loops but in apple loops format. I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to recognize all my loops I convert, there must be tags I'm not using or something. Dave, any thoughts on this?
In the future there will be robots!

SR 202 didnt have a sequencer did it?

No sequencer in there. I seem to remember loading samples into it a couple of years ago on my old XP machine.

I just loaded a snare wav into SR-202 that I generated in EnergyXT a couple of minutes ago. The wav file must be mono and 16-bit.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to recognize all my loops I convert, there must be tags I'm not using or something. Dave, any thoughts on this?
There are two key limitations to the Apple Loop import in Beat Producer - first we can only load AIFF format Apple Loops, not the newer CAF format ones. Thankfully there is no software I can think of that can author CAF format Apple Loops and only Apple themselves seem to use them in the newer versions of Garageband. If you use the Apple Loop Utility it still outputs AIFF format so its not that much of a limitation.

The second limitation is on the number of slices. Since we map each slice to a MIDI note, there can only be a maxium of 128 slices in a loop.

In terms of tags we pull out genre, type and subtype. If the loop doesn't have a genre it'll show up in the "Not specified" section of the browser menu so I'd say it's best all your Apple Loops have the genre tag as a minimum.

Hope this helps
Dave
Muon Software Ltd
http://www.muon-software.com
http://www.facebook.com/muonsoftware
http://muonsoftware.blogspot.com

Thanks for the advice :)

Trying to get Loop Utility now... hoping there's a windows version. I've never used AIFF before so all this is new territory for me.
In the future there will be robots!

Hey Dave hows it going?

Poor old SR-202 seeming a bit clunky. I think laughably is a bit strong though ;)

*sigh. Those were the days.

Red

*sigh. Those were the days.
Oh yes, it was grand in its time but technology moves on so fast that I can't think of anything now that ages faster than software.

A large part of my job for the last decade has simply keeping up with Apple, Microsoft, Steinberg, Digidesign etc. and whatever havoc they wreak on their APIs each year :-o

Muon Software Ltd wrote:Oh yes, it was grand in its time but technology moves on so fast that I can't think of anything now that ages faster than software.

A large part of my job for the last decade has simply keeping up with Apple, Microsoft, Steinberg, Digidesign etc. and whatever havoc they wreak on their APIs each year :-o

SR-202 is still grand, even though CM has sadly now put the CM Studio (and the SR-202) out to pasture in favor of all cross-platform Plugins.

Is it possible to change the note assignments of the pads?

They're currently assigned from C1 through D#2. Can a pad be assigned to B0 in order to play the acoustic bass drum in the GM mapping?

Even better, could the pads be assigned to start at E2, so that two instances of SR-202 set to the same MIDI channel could cover twice as much keyboard range?

Is it possible to change the note assignments of the pads?
No, SR202 does not support this feature I'm sorry to say.

Kind regards
Dave

Return to “Muon Software”