What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

My Old Band Re-Issued

Official support for: dangerousbear.com

Moderators: dnekm, Bassballjg

Bassballjg
KVRAF

2260 posts since 7 Nov, 2003, from DC

Postby Bassballjg; Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:18 am My Old Band Re-Issued

Off-topic from dBu sample libraries, but I thought my friends here at KVR would like to know that one of my projects from the 80's has been released on Ektro Records from Finland. The band is Mission For Christ and the style is Punk.

More info here:

http://www.ektrorecords.com

Review here:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/arti ... a-mid-80s/

Thanks for your indulgence of this personal matter. Be back soon with more on samples and such.

John Gibson
jPod
KVRist

226 posts since 22 Apr, 2004, from Vancouver

Postby jPod; Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:24 am

Very interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you think of the review? Music reviewers sometimes attribute artistic associations or intentions based more on their own listening history than actual history so as one of the main people being written about I'm curious if you think that it's an accurate assesment of where you were at artistically at the time.
Bassballjg
KVRAF

2260 posts since 7 Nov, 2003, from DC

Postby Bassballjg; Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:26 pm

jPod wrote:Very interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you think of the review? Music reviewers sometimes attribute artistic associations or intentions based more on their own listening history than actual history so as one of the main people being written about I'm curious if you think that it's an accurate assesment of where you were at artistically at the time.

Thanks for your interest. We were all over the map musically, so the review is pretty accurate, except that we did play out of town. The personnel in MFC were a diverse lot with diverse tastes. The band was kind of a mash-up of all those influences shoehorned into a punk format.

The original version of the band was a side-project of my band the Psychotics a funk-reggae-rock band and the Static Disruptors, later to become Outrage, a Go-Go-Rock band. We figured let's do a punk band, and that's what came out. The second version of the band was some college buddies of mine and I having a good time. But in both cases, the aesthetic was ecclectic and indeed not tied to any punk orthodoxy.

A good example is the time we played a gig in Stamford Ct., and pulled up to the venue blasting Miles Davis on the car stereo. The punks looked on with WTF expressions on their faces.

As for the specific bands referenced in the article, they're all pretty cool, but we didn't have anyone in particular in mind to emulate. If that's what the music reminds him of, that's OK with me. But when it was time to hang out listening to music, in the second lineup, we were as likely to listen to Steely Dan, or Miles, or The Fall as we would, say, Dead Kennedys or even our own DC bretheren like Minor Threat. We were in the scene but not of it, in a sense.
jPod
KVRist

226 posts since 22 Apr, 2004, from Vancouver

Postby jPod; Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:28 am

Cool. Thanks John.

Bassballjg wrote:A good example is the time we played a gig in Stamford Ct., and pulled up to the venue blasting Miles Davis on the car stereo. The punks looked on with WTF expressions on their faces.

I think Miles had that effect on a lot of people over the years. 8)

Moderators: dnekm, Bassballjg

Return to Dangerous Bear Underground