Dark Zebra - Amazona says Best Buy!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all, I'm Dan Nigrin, the developer behind Audio Plugin Player (APP). Breeze is correct, in that APP is built using Cycling 74's Max, and so I am dependent on the plugin hosting functionality within Max. The VST window resizing problem that's been mentioned here is dependent on this.

For multi-AU-within-one-component-file problem - thanks for the report; Urs, I do think that you're one of the few developers out there doing this, and APP definitely doesn't handle it well currently. That said, Cycling *does* provide a way to get at all those AU's, but I am not using it within my program, as I was trying to build it such that I would not violate Apple's new sandbox rules, so I could continue selling APP on the App Store. That said, I've now encountered *another* problem that's sandbox-related, so in the end I may not be able to continue selling via the App Store anyway. We shall see.

I'll do my best to address the problem moving forward.
Dan Nigrin / Defective Records
Fauxmo: a Fizmo editor / Cyclic, M185 & Klee Sequencers / DSX, MC-4 & MC-202 Hack
https://www.defectiverecords.com

Thanks Dan!

Good luck with it! - I'll check APP out, it seems to fill a gap.

It does fill a gap! I've never heard of APP before, but I might check it out. Been using AUlab up until now, but APP seems much nicer.
I really like being able to do some sound designing without the distractions of a DAW getting in the way. I like what NI does in this regard, you just get standalone apps, ideal for this purpose.
Anyway, sorry for the OT!

Quick question (sorry if it's been asked already): will the Dark Zebra (or Zebra HZ) load regular zebra patches?
Thanks!
Ben

benj3737 wrote:Quick question (sorry if it's been asked already): will the Dark Zebra (or Zebra HZ) load regular zebra patches?
Thanks!
Ben
Yep! It loads regular Zebra patches :)

Cheers
Dennis

benj3737 wrote:Quick question (sorry if it's been asked already): will the Dark Zebra (or Zebra HZ) load regular zebra patches?
Thanks!
Ben
Yes. http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 24#5023924

Hi,

Didn't go through this long thread. But have a question :

Does 'Dark Knight Zebra' use the exact same synth engine, including same filters of 'Zebra 2' ?

My first impression was that 'Dark Knight Zebra' has a dark GUI, with custom presets, but exactly the same as 'Zebra 2' as far as the Synth, and Filter architecture.

Would appreciate some clarification on this detail.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Muziksculp wrote:Hi,

Does 'Dark Knight Zebra' use the exact same synth engine, including same filters of 'Zebra 2' ?

My first impression was that 'Dark Knight Zebra' has a dark GUI, with custom presets, but exactly the same as 'Zebra 2' as far as the Synth, and Filter architecture.

Thanks,
Muziksculp
About 350 presets use the exact same synth engine as Zebra2.

About 50 presets use some additions to it that were requested by Hans Zimmer. This "expansion" to Zebra is included in the download, in form of an extra plugin called "ZebraHZ" that plays all 400 presets. This is a version of Zebra that has a darker skin and contains those additions.

To preempt misunderstandings, The Dark Zebra does not include a serial number for ZebraHZ. One needs a license for Zebra V2.x to run ZebraHZ and to use the presets.

Cheers,

;) Urs

Urs wrote:
Muziksculp wrote:Hi,

Thanks,
Muziksculp
About 350 presets use the exact same synth engine as Zebra2.

About 50 presets use some additions to it that were requested by Hans Zimmer. This "expansion" to Zebra is included in the download, in form of an extra plugin called "ZebraHZ" that plays all 400 presets. This is a version of Zebra that has a darker skin and contains those additions.

To preempt misunderstandings, The Dark Zebra does not include a serial number for ZebraHZ. One needs a license for Zebra V2.x to run ZebraHZ and to use the presets.

Cheers,

;) Urs
Hi Urs,

Thanks for the feedback.

I have a Zebra2 License, If I purchase Dark Zebra, I get ZebraHZ as well. Which will run via the Zebra2 license.

Did I get this right ? Price of Dark Zebra is $99. (I will most likely buy it) :D

Would love to see Zebra2 get some new filter options, either Diva Filters, or something very similar to those filters.

Your products ROCK !

Cheers,
Muziksculp

zebra hz includes some diva filters ;)

Muziksculp wrote:I have a Zebra2 License, If I purchase Dark Zebra, I get ZebraHZ as well. Which will run via the Zebra2 license.

Did I get this right ? Price of Dark Zebra is $99. (I will most likely buy it) :D
That's correct!

As for Diva filters, they are present in ZebraHZ. We are in a conceptual stage for a major Zebra update, and we're thinking of deploying teh technology used in Diva, but not the exact same filters. They have to be stereo for Zebra, the must not use too much CPU and they don't need to be close emulations. So we're hoping to get faster filters with similar impact at the price of less authenticity.

Also, we haven't officially announced this, but owners of Zebra 2.x and The Dark Zebra get a free update of Zebra 3.0, whenever this happens (I find it more and more difficult to believe in a Q1/2013 release)

Urs wrote:
Muziksculp wrote:I have a Zebra2 License, If I purchase Dark Zebra, I get ZebraHZ as well. Which will run via the Zebra2 license.

That's correct!

As for Diva filters, they are present in ZebraHZ. We are in a conceptual stage for a major Zebra update, and we're thinking of deploying teh technology used in Diva, but not the exact same filters. They have to be stereo for Zebra, the must not use too much CPU and they don't need to be close emulations. So we're hoping to get faster filters with similar impact at the price of less authenticity.

Also, we haven't officially announced this, but owners of Zebra 2.x and The Dark Zebra get a free update of Zebra 3.0, whenever this happens (I find it more and more difficult to believe in a Q1/2013 release)
Hello Urs,

Thanks for the feedback.

It's wonderful to know that you are working on a Zebra update, with new filters, and Zebra 3.0 next year would be a big treat !

Oh... I just purchased 'The Dark Zebra' . (Couldn't Resist the Temptation) :D

I also have Diva :)

Note: When clicking on the Price icon to purchase, using Chrome browser, I got to a strange message instead of the store. I then switched to Firefox, and it had no issues getting me to the store. Just wanted to give you a bit of feedback that might be useful, just in case other customers have a problem when using Chrome. You might want to look into this.

All The Best,
Muziksculp

Urs wrote:

That's correct!

Urs, just out of curiosity, will the new Diva-like filters in Zebra 3 be new types under the XMF module like 'Analog', 'Eco', 'XMF', etc?

Urs wrote: Also, we haven't officially announced this, but owners of Zebra 2.x and The Dark Zebra get a free update of Zebra 3.0.
Sold!
:)

EDIT:
Muziksculp wrote: Note: When clicking on the Price icon to purchase, using Chrome browser, I got to a strange message instead of the store. I then switched to Firefox, and it had no issues getting me to the store. Just wanted to give you a bit of feedback that might be useful, just in case other customers have a problem when using Chrome. You might want to look into this.
No problems ordering through Chrome here.

Cheers.

EDIT2:

However, when I downloaded the installer I got this warning in Chrome:

I scanned with AVG - no issues found.
I trust you :P

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Urs, just out of curiosity, will the new Diva-like filters in Zebra 3 be new types under the XMF module like 'Analog', 'Eco', 'XMF', etc?
I favour the idea to integrate them in VCF/XMF modules. No final decision though, we're still merely collecting ideas and making concepts.

Return to “Instruments”