Puzzled over key mapping

Official support for: chineekong.com & kongaudio.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi lightpanther,

About using QIN RV in Fruity: it's not a "problem" per se, it's about the way to use multitimbral VSTi in Fruity in general. If you have used any multi-timbral instruments in Fruity before, then you'll have no trouble using QIN RV. (But if you have never used any such VSTi before, then it will probably take some time to dig into it.)

You can also export your project's QIN v1.0 plugins' presets as fxp, then replace QIN v1.0 with QRV, and then import the fxp for each MIDI track (you will have to use QIN's inbuilt FXP manager though), and all the instrument settings can be retained.

Regarding the pitch bend: The default settings "2" means 200 cents. Just left-click on it and pick a new numeric.

lightpanther wrote: I haven't ran the upgrade yet (is there a time limit on it?). The reason for this is that I'm in the middle of making a track featuring several of the Kong instruments.
You can add the update on top of your existing Qin 1.0 plugins, they will still load first (In my case, i downloaded the whole library and engine, not the separate updates).

You might want to test the keyswitch programs and see if you can get a better slide key program that do the wider slide range for you as naturally recorded.
In that way, velocity matters less, where pressing the specific key to switch the program becomes crucial then.
The newer Qin 2.0 presets are a bit different for some instruments but this is because the polyphony for some instruments has been enabled (where legato kicked in when pressing two notes at the same time with the 1.0 engine).

1200 cents is a full octave. 200 cents is a whole tone (two semitones).

I think lightpanther suggests here that even though his pitch bend range is set to 200 cents in QIN (2 semitones), the pitch wheel on the GUI moves only a fraction of its range, whereas in reality, he has to move his pitch wheel all the way to get 200 cents bend. If that is the case, it's a visual bug and should be remedied - the GUI pitchwheel should show exactly the same motion as the pitch bend wheel in real life (pretty much all virtual instrument GUIs with pitchwheels on them behave this way).

EvilDragon wrote:1200 cents is a full octave. 200 cents is a whole tone (two semitones).

I think lightpanther suggests here that even though his pitch bend range is set to 200 cents in QIN (2 semitones), the pitch wheel on the GUI moves only a fraction of its range, whereas in reality, he has to move his pitch wheel all the way to get 200 cents bend. If that is the case, it's a visual bug and should be remedied - the GUI pitchwheel should show exactly the same motion as the pitch bend wheel in real life (pretty much all virtual instrument GUIs with pitchwheels on them behave this way).
Evil, you're right on the figures, my bad.

However, that's not exactly what's happening for me. I've been experimenting around, and what follows is *exactly* the behavior I am getting...

1) When I manipulate the pitch bend wheel *on the GUI* (with the mouse) it behaves as I would expect it to behave. 2 semis bends a tone either way. 12 bends an octave. The pitch wheel on the gui moves all the way/.

2) When I manipulate it with the pitch bend wheel on the controller (M Audio Oxygen 61) it does *not* behave as expected...

-- Even though I move the pitch wheel the full range, the GUI wheel moves only a fraction of its range AND when set on "2" semis (i.e set on the gui, as above), it bends only a fraction of a tone (at a guess, about 20 cents)

-- In order to get it to bend a whole tone, I have to set the instrument to "12" on bend (i.e. a whole octave), which is obviously not right, either on the instrument or the way the oxygen is communicating with it.

-- This behavior is not occurring with other VSTs I own that also have pitchwheels on their GUI with settings adjustable.

Most Important - where I want to get to is to be able to automate the pitch bend on the instrument using automation clips (preferably), or (second preference) to have such bends recorded live. I am not understanding how to do this at present. The Qin instruments pitch bend wheel does not show up as a "last Tweaked" in FL.

Change the "Pitch Knob Range" in FL's Channel Settings to 48 and see if that helps. IIRC, fruity's pitch bending works differently from other hosts, and adjusting this parameter is necessary for it to work as one would usually expected.

BTW, it does not only happen to QIN. As far as I remember, most, is not all, VSTis require FL users to change this Pitch Knob Range in order to work properly (in the sense that one would expect pitch bend to work) in FL, and this special design of FL has been there for ages...
Last edited by sosayweall on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yeah, I hate that about FL, along with tons of other things. I'm happy with Reaper now, as it doesn't pose such ridiculous things in my workflow :)

I'm a huge fan of Fruity and I think gol is a super-genius...it's just that there are a few little weird things like this would leave me scratching my head. Still, once you know how to work around it, it's not really an issue anymore. :)

BTW, lightpanther, linking the Channel Pitch knob to an Automation Clip probably would be what you are looking for.

sosayweall wrote:BTW, lightpanther, linking the Channel Pitch knob to an Automation Clip probably would be what you are looking for.
The trouble with that is that it is extremely difficult to get the bend exact without a calculator nearby, because the pitch knob reports in "percentages" (not "cents") as does the automation clip. Recording the bends live is working best for me, though I don't usually do it that way.

So just about everything has been solved...except how to connect the mod wheel to the instruments ;)

lightpanther wrote: So just about everything has been solved...except how to connect the mod wheel to the instruments ;)
Hi lightpanther, there's a full chapter in Fruity's Help file explaining how to do hardware controller linking. Search "Modwheel" in the Help file and you'll find a step-by-step explanation on the subject. *Please be sure to link modwheel to MIDI #CC1.

Return to “Kong Audio”