What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Virtual instrument similar to Kaossilator?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

ZioKiller
KVRian

1284 posts since 17 Aug, 2003, from Italy

Postby ZioKiller; Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:29 pm Virtual instrument similar to Kaossilator?

Hello everybody,
I'm now in a electro-duo (maybe trio!) project where electronic instruments will be used for improvisations and some real time looping/sequencing... some of the stuff I've never used before!

We're after something that could be used like the iKaossilator app on the iPad, something that can create grooves and modify them in real time by simply acting on an XY pad. The reason why we can't use just the iOS app is that we need to sync it to a sequencer, so the choice are 1) buy the real Kaossilator pro or 2) find a plugin/standalone that has similar functions.

Any help?

Thanks,
Guido.

PS: No, I'm not going to program this myself! ;)
Karmacomposer
KVRAF

6042 posts since 7 Nov, 2005, from Florida

Postby Karmacomposer; Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:26 pm

ipad kaossilator. just awesome!

Mike
gabebrunogarza1021
Banned

Postby gabebrunogarza1021; Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:58 pm

Karmacomposer wrote:ipad kaossilator. just awesome!

Mike

iKaossilator doesn't support MIDI out which the OP was looking for.

If you want to export audio as individual tracks from iKaossilator to your DAW you can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHe5zTjjK00
gamecat666
KVRian

887 posts since 16 Feb, 2010

Postby gamecat666; Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:53 pm

ive been after a similar thing for a while, I havent found anything suitable.

One of these days im going to have to learn Reaktor and just try it myself...
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

21387 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:35 am

gabebrunogarza1021 wrote:iKaossilator doesn't support MIDI out which the OP was looking for.

...and yet the OP doesnt mention MIDI out....
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
Numanoid
KVRAF

8648 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:31 am

On another note:

Is there a Kaossilator-like VST for Windows, that let you use the regular touchpad on a laptop as control interface?
gabebrunogarza1021
Banned

Postby gabebrunogarza1021; Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:38 am

ZioKiller wrote:The reason why we can't use just the iOS app is that we need to sync it to a sequencer, so the choice are 1) buy the real Kaossilator pro or 2) find a plugin/standalone that has similar functions.

whyterabbyt wrote:...and yet the OP doesnt mention MIDI out....

In order to "sync" you'll need some sort of MIDI out functionality.

The Kaossilator Pro has that
http://www.korg.com/kaossilatorpro

USB + MIDI provides versatility and compatibility
The KAOSSILATOR PRO offers standard MIDI IN/OUT connectors. In addition, the USB connector lets you use your computer to back up the loop recording data, or even drop loops into your favorite DAW. The KAOSSILATOR PRO can also control your software applications or an external MIDI device. The KAOSSILATOR PRO can send or receive MIDI clock.

The iKaossilator doesn't.
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

Postby whyterabbyt; Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:53 am

gabebrunogarza1021 wrote:
ZioKiller wrote:The reason why we can't use just the iOS app is that we need to sync it to a sequencer, so the choice are 1) buy the real Kaossilator pro or 2) find a plugin/standalone that has similar functions.

read it again.

especially the bit I highlighted.

He needs the plugin to sync to the sequencer. MIDI out will only send information from the plugin. It will not help receive any information.

How will the ack of the ability to send information from the plugin (or a Kaossilator) via a MIDI OUT have any affect on the plugin (or a Kaossilator) receiving sync information?
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
Karmacomposer
KVRAF

6042 posts since 7 Nov, 2005, from Florida

Postby Karmacomposer; Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:57 am

When the OP first wrote this thread, the second paragraph did not yet exist.

Mike
gabebrunogarza1021
Banned

Postby gabebrunogarza1021; Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:02 am

Karmacomposer wrote:When the OP first wrote this thread, the second paragraph did not yet exist.

Mike

My bad to you Mike.
gabebrunogarza1021
Banned

Postby gabebrunogarza1021; Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:06 am

whyterabbyt wrote:
gabebrunogarza1021 wrote:

read it again.

especially the bit I highlighted.

He needs the plugin to sync to the sequencer. MIDI out will only send information from the plugin. It will not help receive any information.

How will the ack of the ability to send information from the plugin (or a Kaossilator) via a MIDI OUT have any affect on the plugin (or a Kaossilator) receiving sync information?

Sorry, I meant to say MIDI IN/OUT not just OUT.
The Kaossilator Pro supports both ways.

The iKaossilator doesn't support MIDI IN/OUT.
Other iPad apps like the ThumbJam, AniMoog support both MIDI IN/OUT.

I think too that the OP may have just wanted that, MIDI IN/OUT.
I'm not sure he wanted syncing as in MMC controlling, but I could be wrong as well.
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

Postby whyterabbyt; Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:08 am

Numanoid wrote:On another note:

Is there a Kaossilator-like VST for Windows, that let you use the regular touchpad on a laptop as control interface?

http://www.livelab.dk/touchpad2midi.php
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth

Postby whyterabbyt; Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:26 am

gabebrunogarza1021 wrote:Sorry, I meant to say MIDI IN/OUT not just OUT.
The Kaossilator Pro supports both ways.

The iKaossilator doesn't support MIDI IN/OUT.
Other iPad apps like the ThumbJam, AniMoog support both MIDI IN/OUT.

I think too that the OP may have just wanted that, MIDI IN/OUT.
I'm not sure he wanted syncing as in MMC controlling, but I could be wrong as well.

Okay, but the OP asked 'is there a plugin I can use instead of the iKaossilator because it doesnt sync' and your reply is 'the iKaossilator doesnt sync' :?: :?: :shrug:
Numanoid
KVRAF

Postby Numanoid; Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:42 am

whyterabbyt wrote:
Numanoid wrote:On another note:

http://www.livelab.dk/touchpad2midi.php

Thanks, but the download link seems unfortunately not to work?
Numanoid
KVRAF

Postby Numanoid; Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:43 am

whyterabbyt wrote:Okay, but the OP asked 'is there a plugin I can use instead of the iKaossilator because it doesnt sync' and your reply is 'the iKaossilator doesnt sync' :?: :?: :shrug:

Can't ya fix it with iRig or something?
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments