So this dude asked me to write a demo track for electronisounds.com-this is what I came up with?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I get this email from this dude that owns a sample site called http://electronisounds.com/?

I have no idea who he/they are or where they're from but they say they like my music and they ask me: would I put together a demo track using only their 'DROP THE HOUSE' sample set that they sent me (it's for sale on their site).

And so I said: "why not? " Well. I'm not a HOUSE music sorta guy BUT-what the heck?

Actually I was a wee bit apprehensive. You know? What if the quality of the samples are shit-which there certainly is no shortage of?

It turns out I actually like much of the sample set. I dropped the samples I liked into Ableton's Simpler/Sampler and this is what I came up with? :)

(As always my midi controller is a Fender Stratocaster guitar with Roland's GR-3 synth pick up mounted on it.)

http://ia601500.us.archive.org/1/items/ ... nicity.mp3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Sbs6G7W ... e=youtu.be

Very catchy Chuck, sounds great! 8)

I'd love to go down the midi guitar road... some day...
Image Image

Yo! Chuck is in da HOUSE. Cool sounds and a nice tune. I'm thinking that this sounds like tatsama meets Dr.Wu. It has a nice deep vibe that was really good to relax with a couple of times.

Good work :)

Hey guys thanks for posting and your support! :)

For the record I did NOT use loops on this (although some of them are pretty nice?} Except for just a bit of the drums-I cut up the loops and made my own grooves...

Other than that I used Ableton's Sampler for Bass etc etc-it's all original-just in case someone thinks I'm 'cheating'?

You know? I wasn't sure what to think? I had all these samples from electronisounds.com. I told the guy (Now I know his name-June Bug-which I'm doing more demos for etc) I would compose a demo? For example in the folder labeled pads there are just samples of one note-of a synth i guess that he sampled? so I dropped it in Simpler/Sampler in Ableton and I was like-yeah man- that's pretty darn cool. I could play chords or whatever and the tone is cool...and then I can manipulate the samples with the sampler too? I can play chords or whatever and it didn't sound mickey mousey?You know what I'm saying bruvs? And I didn't have to do much EQing to get things to jell? And so I learned something about samplers? Dah?

I know-I'm a total n00b.

Yeah Matt....I am definitely loving the pick up GR-3 that enables me to use my guitar as a midi controller-not soooo big on the GR-20 guitar synth though-what a bummer....it just sounds so cheesy to me and there's really no way to tweak..etc etc...BUT it does enable me to trigger vsts and stuff with my guitar....one has to be very precise though..and still...I have to clean up my performances...but when I can I don't quantize to help give the music a human element...you no dobt would have muchos fun with it...

Yeah Tim....later on when I can catch up on my KVR listening and have a glass of wine or 10 I'll give Tatsama a check. And Dr Wu (Hans)and I are good friends-i see him daily on facebook which is hugely fun-friend me if you want guys! 'Tis really quite fun!
Last edited by any1particular on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey all -
i'm "the dude" from electronisounds ;)
chuck did a pretty good job with that demo track, dontcha think?
:)

JUNEBUG
electronisounds.com

Very nice. Enjoyed it all, but really liked the section right at the end, from around 3 minutes, after the main track appears to have ended.

Always seem to like your bass parts. All sounds good.

fateamenabletochange wrote:Always seem to like your bass parts. All sounds good.
I agree, and especially seeing as how he thinks he's a noob!
I'm totally diggin' this vibe!
:)
JUNEBUG

Awesome track. Everything in its right place.
stunning mix-out

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and reply you guys.

any1particular wrote:Hey guys thanks for posting and your support! :)

For the record I did NOT use loops on this (although some of them are pretty nice?} Except for just a bit of the drums-I cut up the loops and made my own grooves...

Other than that I used Ableton's Sampler for Bass etc etc-it's all original-just in case someone thinks I'm 'cheating'?
In general, I don't think that most "producers" have as many hangups about this as more traditional musicians seem to have. If a sample library comes with loops then I prefer that a demo includes those loops. In fact, that's what I want to hear, I want the demos to show them off so I know what I'm getting. If producers think that using loops is cheating, then why would they be interested in a library that features loops?

Personally, I didn't like your track. It sounds fine, of course, and I have no criticism of the music at all outside of the context that it's being presented. Since the library producer is here commenting and soliciting feedback, however, then I think that the context is as on topic as the music itself. In fact, going out on a limb here and with respect to your comment above, I think that you would have produced a better demo if you had used the loops.

If I'm looking to pick up a sample set for "house", I really expect to hear how someone with experience in the genre is using the samples within that genre. What I'm saying is, it's pretty obvious that you aren't "really a house guy", in fact, you didn't really need to say that. Please don't be offended, you are clearly a talented musician. To my ears, however, your track sounds like so many 90s rompler "techno demos", clearly composed by Jazz/Fusion guys.

My only basis for legitimacy here is that I do spend money on sample libraries for house music. I'm not sure that I would listen to that demo past the beat if I were shopping, and I know that I would turn it off as soon as it got to the "lead." To be clear, my criticism here is less about the music and more about whether I think that the music is a useful vehicle to sell a "house" music sample library. So, I apologize for cluttering up your music cafe thread, but, in essence, the sample set producer has invited my opinion.

The second demo that you have on that page is not at ALL what I want to hear; it sounds very dated to my ears. I'm not trying to be an ass, that comes naturally, but when presented in this context I think that it's important to be honest about the effect on potential customers. If that track were the first demo, I wouldn't even go back to the web page a second time; for a house music demo, it's completely incompetent. Again, I'm not saying anything about the music, per se, other than it is not house, nor does it represent anything that I've heard as really relevant to house over the last fifteen years or so. For the (sample set) producer, this is important; they would lose me as a customer instantly upon presenting that demo because it screams "I'm a producer/dev who doesn't understand the genre that I'm trying to convince you that this sample set is useful for." If it weren't for this thread, I would have stopped there and not bothered with the rest of the demos. To me, it's that bad.

The vocal samples in the set sound interesting and useful. I might purchase the library just for that, but the other demos highlighted those much better than your demos did. In particular, the demo by Von Haulshoven shows off the variety nicely.

Based on the description and the demo by the set's producer, I'm not really sure what the focus of this sample set is. I might classify it as more of a progressive house sample set than either pure house or trance, but I can't really tell. I'd also say that, other than the vocal samples, I don't get a good sense of the variety or quality of samples. With the beats in particular, either the demos don't highlight the beats well, or the beats simply aren't that good. I think the demos by Von Haulshoven and SampleScience are probably the most appropriate, but, I would not purchase this library based on these demos, unless I really wanted the vocal samples. I probably would purchase the vocal samples separately if they were priced competitively.

There's some true in what you're saying ghettosynth, I agree with some of your comments.

The demo I prefer for this library is the one mabe by Junebug, the developper himself. It sound clear & it well mixed.

Based on your comment, maybe he should rename the library "Eclectic House"! :wink:

As for the thread poster, I really dig his tracks, amazing music! Maybe not well suited for the soundlib, but still, good stuff!! :love:

Well thank you for taking the time to post your thoughtful critique you guys. Much appreciated. 0-@

There's a funk night around here and I can totally imagine this being mixed there, people vibing out to it. I heard this via the music cafe playlist, and really dug it, so it's hilarious to me to see all this hubbub about the sample pack stuff.

to weigh in on that: :) I think one demo composed mostly of loops is good for a preview, and then a track like this where you drop the loops in a sampler and go crazy is cool to show off what you can do creatively with them 8)

Nice song!
Massive, Serum. Diva, Repro-1, HIVE, Spire presets, Reason ReFills more! https://NewLoops.com

Return to “Music Cafe”