Modular Synths Question

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What other synths are there along the lines of KarmaFX' modular system? I know the Tassman, but that's not stable on my system. I tried SyncModular standalone, now free, but it's intensely involved in parts (just look into a reverb module...)

I'm not familiar with the cabling style (U-he style) and others like KX-Modular and the free EFM's Modular. Anyone know of good tuts for these types also?

sonigen modular beta is free.

resistors are futile you will be simulated
Soundcloud
T4M

Whatch some video of the first modular moog in action and see what the most parameter refear to!

All the synth have the same (basic) controls!

Xil3 and Xils3 LE ( Xils3 Lite Edition is still fully modular and is awfully cheap 39$)
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Debutante wrote:What other synths are there along the lines of KarmaFX' modular system?
I'll take 'along the lines of' to mean the couple of things that differentiate KarmaFX from other 'types' of modular environments, ie self-contained 'modules' like you'd expect on a hardware modular (ie with no 'lower' level customisation), but not a fixed/limited number or layout of modules...

so pretty much just VazModular and Tassman that I can think of. Or Nord Modular hardware (G1 or G2)

Everything else I can think of either has a means of building new modules in a lower-level environment (Reaktor, Sync Modular etc) or a limit on the number/layout of modules (XILS, Zebra, ACE, Moog Modular etc)
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

There's modular (build-it-yourself) software like SynCModular and Reaktor; and there's modular synths that emulate the original patching-modules-together scheme like Karma and the Arturia Moog and Arp 2600 emulations.

I like Reaktor and SynC - it's not too much of a problem to bung in an extra oscillator, LFO or envelope for programming more complex modulations.

A lot of the newer VSTi synths have lots and lots of modulation routings, making them very powerful programming tools indeed and with the digital/MIDI hybridization, pretty good near-dammit semi modular synths.

A good depth of modulation routings is the key. I like Massive.

But I still build synths in Reaktor.

SODDI wrote:There's modular (build-it-yourself) software like SynCModular and Reaktor; and there's modular synths that emulate the original patching-modules-together scheme like Karma and the Arturia Moog and Arp 2600 emulations.

I like Reaktor and SynC - it's not too much of a problem to bung in an extra oscillator, LFO or envelope for programming more complex modulations.
What's often missing from these discussions, and is really a benefit with Reaktor is that you can as easily remove and simplify as you can add. You can, for example add a complex lfo and then set most of the controls as not visible. This might make for a more playable synth. You don't get this kind of flexibility with the simpler modulars.

You can also easily borrow from other synths.

As suggested by the dev - MUX. The cute thing about it is that you can use any VST as a module.

[quote="ghettosynth"][quote="SODDI"]I like Reaktor and SynC - it's not too much of a problem to bung in an extra oscillator, LFO or envelope for programming more complex modulations.
[/quote]

What's often missing from these discussions, and is really a benefit with Reaktor is that you can as easily remove and simplify as you can add. You can, for example add a complex lfo and then set most of the controls as not visible. This might make for a more playable synth. You don't get this kind of flexibility with the simpler modulars.

You can also easily borrow from other synths.[/quote]

I have entire synths I created for myself with the magic of Swipe-O-Rama.

And I just removed the pitch-scaling function from some factory macro ADSRs - didn't want it, out it went. If I did wrong, I'll just wire some back in.

I kind of like to invent things too - I just did a pretty functional emulation of the old Moog trigger delay (heard on the sequences in Tangerine Dream's "Stratosfear" and Donna Summers' "I Feel Love".)I've never seen it implemented before in Reaktor.

http://moogarchives.com/m911a.htm

It's a real easy build and I could post the macro if you like. Or you could read the spec in the link and probably come up with something completely different and probably better.

Also, you CAN do complex AM synthesis in Reaktor where you couldn't in SynC - try feeding an oscillator's output ito the "A" input of another oscillator.

Best thing about these modulars - you can f*ck up but you can't break it.

Return to “Instruments”