[NINJAM] Jazz / Space-rock / ??

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

20120923-1454-edit01-pljones-poro-tea-T_rex-ninjaz-Helio-Gaz-DirtyDeeds [stream]
Nearly ten minutes of some interesting jazz / space-rock mix. poro on various weird noises, ninjaz on wind controller, tea on lead and T-rex (sorry "-" becomes "_" in my link) on bass. There are some great build ups that get very intense before sudden changes that leave you in free-fall briefly, to be caught in the next gravity well... or something.

(Helio, Gaz and DirtyDeeds hadn't turned up at the point of this edit.)

Some details.

As ever with NINJAM, all non-local tracks (i.e. not the drumming) were originally captured by NINJAM from OGG chunks flying around the internet and then lined up against nicely before being played for me to listen to (same for everyone else hearing me and each other). These got loaded up into Reaper for mixing. Here I took a very "light touch" approach. Per-track compression to tidy up any "surprising" peaks without losing the dynamics and also per-track amplification to -6dB, to get a level basis to start from. In Reaper, I then very slightly dropped my drums and T-Rex's bass as the seemed to be filling too much of the track. I also slightly panned left and right tea and ninjaz to provide a little separation. (poro wasn't suitable for panning, using the stereo space quite a lot; T-rex was on bass and I understand there's little point panning it; my drums are pretty wide in stereo, too, so I left them alone.) After mixing, I usually check in Audacity to see if any further compression or amplification is needed. Here, the track looked fine and was already feeling LOUD, so I left well enough alone.

Comments, as ever, welcome! :)

Interesting indeed! Verrrrrrry free form? This is a pleasure. Nice to hear a varity on KVR.

Nnnniiiiicccceeeee! O-@

Nice Pete, but u forgot to mention nskit_7 :)

:dog:
Well, it goes without saying... (I think, on my own site, I've got that documented! :hihi:) I've actually started trying to use NI-AR-L60DF and Analogue Drums' RockStock a bit more, lately. Certainly with the Abbey Road kit, I think there's a lot of potential there; although there's less depth, practice on my part would help get the best from it. RockStock, of course, remains a bit of a one-trick-pony (as it's intended) but even so, getting better at playing it does take practice. I also added the ns_kit7 funk kit to my NINJAM set up last weekend, so it's to hand if I need it (same as the Rock kit with a different snare: the snare is definitely more expressive... but I prefer the 14" sound on the Rock kit to the 12" on the Funk). I do need to start watching my write-ups in case I forget to credit the right samples...

The drums here were ns_kit7, Rock kit, sticks, snares on, 13" ("dream") hi-hats, played from my AlternateMode TrapKAT 3.

Oh - I just noticed - I also forgot to mention I did run a couple of the other guys' tracks through denoising in Audacity, just to give more space for their sound... (-60dB noise floor on a -24dB peak signal? Um, it needed help... I don't like doing it, though, as it does change the sound; but that much noise makes mixing hard.)

Nice, fresh and organic.

Lot of space in the mix :tu:
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Thanks!

Not that interesting otherwise (and not a good mix) but here's the ns_kit7 Funk Kit, so you can compare the snare: [MP3] (stream)

DirtyDeeds arrives quite loudly during this edit and takes a little while to get into the jam (well, OK, he arrived well before... ;)).

Return to “Music Cafe”