Unison Effect, any good one?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi hat friends,

Been looking for a decent unison effect that simulates real hardware ones but no luck, do you suggest any?
:)
Thanks

Figure out how it's done by the hardware, then you can look for software solutions. What specific hardware module do you have in mind?

Some approach I know of:
* Chorus, which is a small delay modulating the delay time resulting in a small pitch wobble. Plenty of these available.
* Pitch up & down a few cents. Plenty of pitch shifters available, you might need a couple at the same time.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Something like Yamaha AN1x. That gives the abilty to:
Selecting how many (layers)
Panning. Spread
Detuning against each layer
Dry/wet control
Sub oscillator parameter

You need this
http://www.tone2.com/html/warmverb_vst_ ... nthes.html
The "Superstrings" fx simulate lot's of unison oscillators.

3 high-end quality Reverbs
Vocoder and Vocoder L-R
Delay, Ping pong delay, Filtered Ping pong
Chorus, Ensemble
Flanger, Stereo Flanger
Superstrings
Phaser, Stereo phaser
LFO Low pass, Band pass and High pass
Talkbox
Tubeamp, Transistor, Presence, Hardclip
Bitcrush, Waveshape
Rotary
Dolby Prologic II surround encoding
Tremelo
Autopanning
Stereo enhancing
Stereoizer
Equalizer
Ringmod
Trancegate
Early reflections (3 different types)
Pitch shifter
Feedback module
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

If used on midi stuff you can basically delay/copy each note and vary velocity a little.

Then duplicate to liking.

It will usually increase cpu a bit on that synth runnings more voices though.

There are midi plugins that do this.

In Reaper you can use midi_note_repeater in series with MIDI_Tool to duplicate and then choose how much randomize you want on velocity - transpose etc.

Spawn about 10 instances of the instrument, put a random lfo in +-10 cents range on the master tuning knob, randomize note start a bit, pan them all around = huge sound.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote:Spawn about 10 instances of the instrument, put a random lfo in +-10 cents range on the master tuning knob, randomize note start a bit, pan them all around = huge sound.
Yeah very nice idea i was using with motif xs. But no VST currently does the same thing apparently :(

phreaque wrote:
Mutant wrote:Spawn about 10 instances of the instrument, put a random lfo in +-10 cents range on the master tuning knob, randomize note start a bit, pan them all around = huge sound.
Yeah very nice idea i was using with motif xs. But no VST currently does the same thing apparently :(
Huh ?
I don't understand.
I am often using this exact technique with many softsynths, even freebies like Synth1 and Voyager too.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

phreaque wrote:
not true-look at MeldaMChorus...etcetc

Guys you're doing the raw method, why we would do such thing like layering multiple instance of instruments & do unison, why don't we have a VST effect to do that job? A simple one. Suppose I'm dealing with pre recorded track & want to apply unison upon it? Do I have to massively duplicate such long track to get the effect?

phreaque wrote:Guys you're doing the raw method, why we would do such thing like layering multiple instance of instruments & do unison, why don't we have a VST effect to do that job? A simple one. Suppose I'm dealing with pre recorded track & want to apply unison upon it? Do I have to massively duplicate such long track to get the effect?
Do i have to repete my self :?

You need this
http://www.tone2.com/html/warmverb_vst_ ... ynthes.htm l
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

phreaque wrote:Guys you're doing the raw method, why we would do such thing like layering multiple instance of instruments & do unison, why don't we have a VST effect to do that job? A simple one. Suppose I'm dealing with pre recorded track & want to apply unison upon it? Do I have to massively duplicate such long track to get the effect?
That would not be a true unison though.
It is like with having a solo singer vs a whole choir - sure you can apply one of many choir/doubler effects to the solo singer to make it kinda sound like a choir, but it won't be as good as using a real choir.

The main difference here is that you can spawn more instances of a synth without spending any money while you can't spawn a new choir member without paying him or her.

OFC In your case with an already recorded audio file the above method will not work though, so maybe try one of these "solo to choir" effects (not talking about a simple classic chorus effect here).
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

olepro wrote:

You need this
No mate you don't have to repeat yourself, I consider it, but this effect is way too complex. All I need is a simple one... Thought you guys have something :$

if your on windows then mayhaps:

http://delamancha.co.uk/octav8r.htm

phreaque wrote:
olepro wrote:

You need this
No mate you don't have to repeat yourself, I consider it, but this effect is way too complex. All I need is a simple one... Thought you guys have something :$
It really does a lot more than unison yes, but it's not complex at all and the price is good. Why not try the demo ?
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Return to “Effects”