Trying to match the synth from Kelis - Milkshake

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi.

I'm a little new to vsti/samples and such and I am currently trying to match the synth-bass from kelis - milkshake

I have traced the sound down to the Korg Triton (the producers were neptune after all :-) )

Does anyone know a ready-made sample/patch or an vsti-preset capable of making this sound? (prefereably for logic/kontakt)

Thanks in advance - any help would really be appriciated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AwXKJoKJz4

I've heard similar sounds out of Alchemy.. just about every virtual analog can do it... sounds like a mono style bass... layered... some small amount of legato.. wet analog fart bass sound...

But its Neptunes... Im sure that bass was ran through some million dollar Gucci outboard.

get Alchemy player.... in the meantime... when i get some spare time I will try to remember to find the midi file to that bassline and see if i can get a close if not almost spot on bass sound out of alchemy.

whatever sound it is its layered and detuned.

digitalbeatsyndrome wrote:whatever sound it is its layered and detuned.
Ok, I did the best I could with Camel Audio Alchemy.

basic factory waves initial patch, i started browsing through hundreds of patches but instead started from scratch... that sound is a very basic layered sound.
Please dont take my example as what the synth can do... Alchemy can do some very wild stuff.

ANyway, 3 examples, each example is 4 bars long... the last one is aggressive, I detuned one of the four oscillators down a whole octave.

http://soundcloud.com/digitalbeatsyndro ... shake-bass

ANd if you decide to buy any alchemy product please use my friend link.. you will get 10% off and I get a 10% coupon too.. thanks.

http://www.camelaudio.com/?CcID=bqqynfvufx

You guys seriously don't know what that is?

Its a very slow-downed Hoover.

djshire wrote:You guys seriously don't know what that is?

or any Juno synth.

StudioTime wrote:
djshire wrote:You guys seriously don't know what that is?

or any Juno synth.
Real Hoovers have an overdose of slide IMO, try playing that riff with that amount of slide in "Dominator".

If he knew it was a slowed down hoover BTW, he wouldn't have asked.

I haven't tried Alchemy yet but I think the hoover sound comes from the chorus and PWM of a Juno and it's square, pulse, and saw oscillators. Maybe someone more knowledgeable could say. But if you pitch down a sampled hoover you get a slower ptichbend anyway, think a lot of old school hardcore basslines, and with effects it's hard to tell.

You could get similar sounds easily out of Tal U No LX
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/tal-u-n ... audio-line

Or Rob Papen Predator has a nice raspy bass.
Last edited by StudioTime on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hoover came from an Alpha Juno. Beltram stated he sampled it, brought to a friends house and added some more to it... but he wont give up the details. At that time I'm thinking it couldve been EMU SP, MPC 60, or Roland D-50.

I created one from scratch on Alchemy but I wanna stay on topic here.

Can do a hoover sound with any synth. Not too difficult. And the most interesting thing about that sound to me isn't on the original track, but how it was used all throughout the 90s on tech step records just by putting it through effects chains.

The bass sound on Milkshake does sound very Juno to me though, most synths usually come with Juno patches.

digitalbeatsyndrome wrote:
If he knew it was a slowed down hoover BTW, he wouldn't have asked.
I meant the people responding to the OP, not the OP.

I'm not sure of a kontakt sample (but that can't be too hard to find) or something for say ES2, but there are free patches (well, one is a patch and the other an ensemble) for Massive and Reaktor.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”