Phonec Updated to v1.1

Official support for: psychicmodulation.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Phonec has been updated to v1.1.

Here's what's new in this version:
  • Pitchwheel now works properly
    New LFO targets: Osc 1&2 Level, Sub, Noise, and Echoshifter Detune
    Added Phase controls to LFOs (Phase acts as glide with Random; acts as pulsewidth with Pulse)
    Added previous/next buttons to patch display for ease of use
    Added 2x switch to filter: switches to 2-stage, 4-pole, 24db filter
    Melt hidden panel now ignores patch change
    Various minor GUI fixes
Read more about phonec and download a demo version here:
http://www.psychicmodulation.com/phonec.html

Existing customers:
If you have not received an email regarding the new version, send me a PM and I'll get it to you.
Last edited by jack [psychicmodulation] on Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nice! The new LFO targets and 4-pole filter should be interesting.

Cool :) Already ordered, as promised in the 1.0 thread :)

fluffy_little_something wrote:Cool :) Already ordered, as promised in the 1.0 thread :)
Hope your happy with the updates :)

Yes, I like it a lot, well done :)

One thing that is a bit annoying is that with so many presets the volume is set to max by default, which is way too loud in my view.

The default patch for instance shoots right into the red as soon as more than one key is pressed, which however is how most people program sounds, for chords.
Even with bass sounds two consecutive notes often overlap for a brief moment, which causes spikes.
75% of the volume scale seems a more appropriate default level in my view. I am not even sure the volume pot is linear, the increase beyond 70 or 80% is quite strong.

fluffy_little_something wrote:One thing that is a bit annoying is that with so many presets the volume is set to max by default, which is way too loud in my view.

The default patch for instance shoots right into the red as soon as more than one key is pressed, which however is how most people program sounds, for chords.
Even with bass sounds two consecutive notes often overlap for a brief moment, which causes spikes.
75% of the volume scale seems a more appropriate default level in my view. I am not even sure the volume pot is linear, the increase beyond 70 or 80% is quite strong.
I'm getting a clip with five notes on the default patch, but it really doesnt seem any louder than most other synths that I've compared levels with. I can make the volume default at 75% in the next update though. But I do see what you mean about the increase after 80%, I'll see what I can do.

It may also have to do with the DAW used. Usually I use Mixcraft, but I also tried it in Mulab, same thing, I get a clip with every three-note chord.
And it doesn't surprise me, after all the default patch for instance has both oscillators set to max in the osciallator mixer, plus it has the global synth volume set to max. With those settings I basically insist on getting a clip from any patch :D

Hello, I get some serious cpu peaks in Ableton with Phonec. I'm on I7-920, 6GB (DDR3) and a RME Babyface. I noticed that the link option for oscillators (Or, And, Mix etc...) seems to provoque this or maybe just play a role in these CPU peaks. Do you think the cpu consumption of the Phonec could be improved ?

Endor-8o8 wrote:Hello, I get some serious cpu peaks in Ableton with Phonec. I'm on I7-920, 6GB (DDR3) and a RME Babyface. I noticed that the link option for oscillators (Or, And, Mix etc...) seems to provoque this or maybe just play a role in these CPU peaks. Do you think the cpu consumption of the Phonec could be improved ?
I just ran a test in Ableton, I'm on Vista 32 bit 3GB, and the most cpu intensive patch I could find was 120:Lost, which peaked at around 15%. I then set everything to maximum, all features running and tested each osc combo. This resulted in a 20% peak. The or/xor/and combo seems to drive up the cpu a bit, but my findings weren't too bad. How high were your peaks? I'm working on an update now, so I will have a look around to see if I can make any optimizations.

jack [psychicmodulation] wrote:
Endor-8o8 wrote:Hello, I get some serious cpu peaks in Ableton with Phonec. I'm on I7-920, 6GB (DDR3) and a RME Babyface. I noticed that the link option for oscillators (Or, And, Mix etc...) seems to provoque this or maybe just play a role in these CPU peaks. Do you think the cpu consumption of the Phonec could be improved ?
I just ran a test in Ableton, I'm on Vista 32 bit 3GB, and the most cpu intensive patch I could find was 120:Lost, which peaked at around 15%. I then set everything to maximum, all features running and tested each osc combo. This resulted in a 20% peak. The or/xor/and combo seems to drive up the cpu a bit, but my findings weren't too bad. How high were your peaks? I'm working on an update now, so I will have a look around to see if I can make any optimizations.
Well I can go from 35% to 50 and 70%...I worked @ 88.2 kHz and even tried with 44.1 kHz it still peaks, I worked with the preset Draft 3 which I tweaked a bit and I noticed that the CPU peaks increase and decrease with the sequencer steps. Pretty weird, I think Ableton is pretty bad at dealing with certain vst or vsti (not necessarily your fault)...

Since you are working on a new version anyway, would it be too much trouble to increase the user interface a bit? I don't know if it is just me, but I can hardly read some of the labels, especially those in the blue and orange fields, like in the modulation mini matrix. Just saying... :)

I already read in another thread that you will include several new features. Will my existing patches still be compatible with the new version?

fluffy_little_something wrote:Since you are working on a new version anyway, would it be too much trouble to increase the user interface a bit? I don't know if it is just me, but I can hardly read some of the labels, especially those in the blue and orange fields, like in the modulation mini matrix. Just saying... :)
I'm considering providing an optional version with a larger GUI, however it will take some time. So I'm still undecided if I should include it in this update, or save it for the next one. I'm leaning toward the latter.
I already read in another thread that you will include several new features. Will my existing patches still be compatible with the new version?
Absolutely. I've been using Phonec a lot in my own music so I test out each update in my project files to make sure my older patches are loading up. Everything is loading up fine, but do let me know if you run into any issues in this department.

Thanks for the great update service with mail and everything, and for still improving Phonec at all :) Other developers throw their synths onto the market and then leave them there for years without any updates, like, hey, what do you want, it has been perfect from the very start :P
I appreciate the changes you made, especially the additional HP filter comes in handy.
The cluster waveform I already know from CK's synths. Will test the new features tomorrow...

Um, regarding the FX thingy, should Phonec also show up in my DAW's effect VST list? It doesn't as far as I can see...

fluffy_little_something wrote:Um, regarding the FX thingy, should Phonec also show up in my DAW's effect VST list? It doesn't as far as I can see...
No, it's still a VSTi, but has the ability to act as an effect by routing audio into it's inputs. Check out this tutorial I just posted:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=370330

Return to “Psychic Modulation”