iRig KEYS Shipping! Ultra-portable universal MIDI controller for iPhone, iPad and Mac/PC

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

iRig KEYS Shipping!

Get the ultra-portable, universal MIDI controller for iPhone, iPad and Mac/PC

iRig® KEYS, the first ultra-portable, universal MIDI controller keyboard for iPhone, iPod touch, iPad and Mac/PC, is now shipping.

Small enough to fit in your backpack, iRig KEYS offers a unique combination of portability, playability, and functionality. Because it's class-compliant on Apple mobile devices and Mac/PC, it's plug and play on both platforms — no driver downloads or software or app installations are necessary. iRig KEYS is also entirely bus powered, via the dock connector on an iPhone, iPod touch or iPad, and the USB port on a Mac or PC, so it can be used virtually anywhere.

iRig KEYS works great as a mobile controller for all iOS MIDI compatible instruments and studio apps, including Apple GarageBand; IK's iGrand Piano, the new concert-quality piano app; the mobile or Mac/PC version of SampleTank; as well as any MIDI-compatible software or DAW plug-ins for Mac/PC.

Features
  • 37 velocity-sensitive mini-keys (3 full octaves range plus one note)
  • Modulation and pitch bend wheels
  • Volume/data knob (assignable)
  • Octave, Program Up/Down back-lit, soft-touch buttons
  • SET button to store and recall 4 different customized setups
  • Input for an optional sustain or expression pedal
  • CoreMIDI (iOS) and USB class compliant (Mac/PC) - plug and play
  • Bus powered on the iPhone, iPod touch, iPad; and Mac/PC
  • Comes with SampleTank FREE and iGrand Piano FREE iOS apps (download from the App Store™)
  • Comes with free Mac/PC virtual instrument: SampleTank 2 L (download from IK site)
Pricing and Availability
iRig KEYS is priced at $99.99/€74.99 (excl. tax) and is already available in musical instrument and electronic retailers around the world, and from the IK Online Store.

Is it compatible with the iPAD 4, that now has the Lightning connector, instead of the 30 pin?

Albert.VST wrote:Is it compatible with the iPAD 4, that now has the Lightning connector, instead of the 30 pin?
It is compatible through the adapter. http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=1595 for more information.

Looks tempting but I would like to know what the running-time is in combination with an iPad2. Meaning, how long can I use it with my iPad before it's battery gives up?

Thanks,
Madeleine

iRig KEYS can be powered from an external USB source so you can use your iPad just as long as you'd be able to without it.
No longer with IK. Here is my Website | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram

Hi Obik

Thanks for the reply, but the reason I asked is that I don't have another computer available where I need to write some tracks. So it would be nice to know when I can expect to have to recharge my iPad if I use it in combination with iRig Keys.

Madeleine

There is no set time limit, it depends on how many apps your running, brightness and a variety of other factors. Know that because iRig KEYS can be powered by USB you can use a USB battery pack, USB wall charger or even your computer to power it.
No longer with IK. Here is my Website | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram

Thanks Obik, I'll look in to it.

Madeleine

I don't have the iRig Keys but I do hook up a USB keyboard. I don't really know how many hours I get, but my guess would be at least seven hours. I'll usually play in sessions of 60-90 minutes, and I'm drained 15-20% when I'm done. Considering Apple greatly limits the amount of power it allows USB devices to draw, I suspect iRig Keys will be similar.

IK people, first congrats on what looks to be a great keyboard. Now ... any plans for a smaller (say, 2 octave) version of this? :)

I love that it has proper pitch and mod wheels, and I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it was a little more portable.

@ iPlogger.

Thanks for your info. The hours you get are enough for me to work with.

:tu:

Hopefully someone who owns one can give a more accurate answer. I would have hoped the IK folks could have provided a somewhat clearer answer. I should also point out, I am on the original iPad.

Were Obi's answers unclear to the OP? I thought they sounded fine, we can't give specific times - frankly I have no idea why device makers even bother when they really have to give such a terrible estimation since it is a near-impossible task to do accurately without effort that exceeds the number of people that will actually get the same results.

Sorry about that, I just would have expected at least SOME time response. Just because it's nearly impossible to give an accurate assessment, you can still provide some typical use numbers. What have IK employees/testers seen as typical? You can say something like, "We have seen upwards of seven hours, but depending on what apps are open, brightness and your use, times may vary." I have found Apple's 10 hour battery time to be rather accurate for typical iPad use.

The USB option is not always viable as portable on-the-go and ability to play anywhere may be necessary. I guess I feel it would be helpful, in the future, to provide your customers with some average time. I suspect what people really want to know is if they can use it for at least two or three hours without the iPad requiring a recharge. That should cover a large percentage of people's use. If you can at least say it works for that long, it might satisfy.

Perhaps I received a dud, but my iPad 3 only provides about 5 or 6 hours of use before a charge is needed using music apps or Codea, an app developing package. Web surfing (excluding videos) and reading usually allows more battery life.

I'm sure recharging habits make a difference but I try to fully recharge at least twice a month using a battery app.

Anyway, I hope the iRig KEYS works out for those may need it.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”