November Contest: Gossip

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vulcandj wrote:Thanks for the info. I hope to be able to come up with some artwork for the next piece that I enter. (Not sure if it will be this month, but we'll see).
So glad you enjoy my cover art! :D
I like using Dropbox to host my images. Just download the free app and you can drag your pic into the public Dropbox folder, right click it, copy the public Dropbox link, and paste it right into the comment box. Very easy and fast. Then highlight the link and click the 'Img' button.
The more cover art the better!

D.H. Miltz wrote:As regards melodies/no melodies: No one's claiming melodies can't in general be made with percussion or that tuned percussion doesn't exist. The idea is to eschew them. That's part of the challenge, part of the point.
vurt wrote:do what thou will and let the voters decide.
just have fun with the idea.
This is my general answer, too.
evo2slo wrote:Also, "no textures." I was thinking of percussively strumming the strings of a muted guitar (perhaps while using a wah wah Cool ). Is that a texture?
The wah wah might be problematic; hard to say. See vurt's quote.

As for long tails on reverbs--if they're making a pad sound, and the challenge/theme specifically says "no pads," couldn't you just use shorter tails?
Thanks D.H. I will follow the gospel of vurt! :)

So you could just have mentioned "untuned percussion", it would have been more acurate.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

D.H. Miltz wrote:No melodies, ideally, but you can certainly make percussion with synths if you like, and there are no restrictions on effects.
my NOV submission is up . . . whether there are melodies inside of it is up to you to to decide. This genre isn't really in my wheel-house; I just wanted to see some "air" between the notes

any feedback would be appreciated on my SC page

:=)

peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

I'll most likely kibitz this one out ... but I've seldom seen such enthusiasm so let's see what you guys come up with, and perhaps somebody will inspire me.

BTW probably also no speech allowed ?
Every time you use autotune, God kills a kitten.
Please, think of the kittens.

Questions:

1} Can piano keystrokes by themselves or as a non-melodic and non-harmonically progressing sequence be accepted as a percussive sound for this month's comp?

2} Is there not such a thing as a percussive melody? Is it to be avoided at the expense of being barred for life from the Disney channel if caught?

3} Can we dip into the foggy world of thematics? pseudo-melodic bits and peices? vodka? :P

allen
Heinrich Heine wrote: "Nothing is more futile than theorizing about music."
Me write: "I have no talent and regularly prove it in the Music Cafe contests"

1. If I'm understanding you correctly, I think so. (Incidentally, this is why stanlea is mistaken.)

2. Asked and answered. Come on, the thread's only two pages.

3. I don't know what this means. No vodka for me, though, thank you.
No longer a moderator.

I am away from my country , my home, my computer and my DAW for a few days.
I shalll probably be using some Ipad app to make that track like Nanostudio or Beatmaker, is that kosher?
Doing some googling ( ping, bang, bing,...) for inspiration on the internet I came across this:
http://www.bingbongtables.com/
The world is an amazing place. Do people really buy this stuff ? And there are tournaments ? Is there a TV channel?
I can picture myself going to a party and saying " Hold on guys I've got my beer pong table in the car , let's have fun now , and by the way I took along with me a couple of my top model friends ,they 're only wearing bikinis , do you mind?"

ClaRago wrote: . . . I took along with me a couple of my top model friends ,they 're only wearing bikinis , do you mind?"
cool with me - what are you all drinking ?
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

D.H. Miltz wrote:1. If I'm understanding you correctly, I think so. (Incidentally, this is why stanlea is mistaken.)
oops - after all, it's not maths
You can't always get what you waaaant...

True enough, stanlea. And untuned is no doubt a smart way to go (it's the way I'll be going, I'm almost sure).

Also, sorry, I forgot to answer this:
Aziraphal wrote:BTW probably also no speech allowed ?
My first thought was "Nope, not allowed." My second thought was "If you can pull off speech-as-percussion (rather than speech over percussion), why not?"
No longer a moderator.

D.H. Miltz wrote: ....

2. Asked and answered. Come on, the thread's only two pages.

Even the DISNEY :P part of the question ??
Heinrich Heine wrote: "Nothing is more futile than theorizing about music."
Me write: "I have no talent and regularly prove it in the Music Cafe contests"

D.H. Miltz wrote:My second thought was "If you can pull off speech-as-percussion (rather than speech over percussion), why not?"
Ah drek, there goes my backup plan.
Have fun banging away folks, next month is solo piano, right? :hihi:
Every time you use autotune, God kills a kitten.
Please, think of the kittens.

If this is percussion only and no melodies, does that just apply to the music or is the intent to exclude vocals too?

BTW, so far really liking vurt and Zombie Queen's entries.

My intent is to exclude vocals too, unless they're somehow made into percussion (beatboxing's the obvious example).
No longer a moderator.

Return to “Music Cafe”