Pedalboard2 VST host (v2.13 released)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

P.S. notably, the likelihood of a non-techie person finding the pedalboard2 folder in the AppData folder is very low - just use the search pane in your "users" folder, if you can find it, if anyone reading this is a Win8 early adopter.

[edit] because the AppData folder is invisible and likely lacking permission to open it by default, and Win8 has "Local," "LocalLow," and "Roaming" subfolders in AppData… its a big mess to search through.

Well it looked like a bugfix release was needed after v2.11, so I've just uploaded v2.12. Changelog follows:

Code: Select all

- Fixed midi-producing plugins not passing their midi output on.
- Fixed it so the Looper won't crash if you hit record while it's already playing.
- Updated to JUCE v2.0.27.
- Fixed bug in JUCE's PluginDirectoryScanner causing previously-crashed plugins to get scanned repeatedly.
runagate wrote:There is in fact a recently crashed plugin file, and what I was observing is that it sometimes, but not always, updated... which is why from the User point of view it seemed to me it didn't have this function. After running it a bajillion times, and experiencing different kinds of crashes and hangs, it managed to make it through Anarchy Fx VSTs
Thanks for this, it helped quite a lot. It turns out there was a bug in JUCE where plugins already in the RecentlyCrashedPluginsList file would get moved to the end of the scan list the next time a scan was run, rather than getting removed from it. Which of course meant that if you had one misbehaving plugin the scan would never complete, no matter how many times you ran it. I've fixed it now.

cheers for updating.
it crashes on scanning my 'mini' folder and my big vst folder.
it scans a few then freezes.
(win7)

spacedad wrote:cheers for updating.
it crashes on scanning my 'mini' folder and my big vst folder.
it scans a few then freezes.
(win7)
:( Does this happen every time? It should keep a note of troublesome plugins and not scan them again. If you've got a lot of crashing plugins I can imagine it being a pretty frustrating process, but (at least with the new version) the scan should eventually complete. If it's getting stuck on the same plugins repeatedly then there's something wrong.

Sadly there isn't really any way around the whole 'scan-crash-scan again' process. JUCE handles all the plugin hosting for me - and does a good job for the most part - but there are quite a lot of misbehaving plugins out there, and I don't have any way of fixing the hosting code to work around each plugin's particular idiosyncrasies.

i'll keep trying and let you know.

no,sorry,my 'mini' vst folder crashes at the same plugin over and over.

i took out the offending plugin,now it is gradually getting through them,with many crashes.
so i guess making a very select vst folder is the best idea.

spacedad wrote:i took out the offending plugin,now it is gradually getting through them,with many crashes.
so i guess making a very select vst folder is the best idea.
Huh. It shouldn't get hung up on any single plugin like that. Which plugin is it?

it was 'Electri-Q' - posihfopit edition'

phew,everything else,rescanned ok.
there were a few troublesome ones,with missing sf2's or un-loadable things,but they all passed or were omitted.
i even had it working with synths and midi sequencers!
this could be a very useful host.
cheers,niall.:)

Oops, somehow missed you'd replied to me :oops:

Thanks! I'll do some testing with Electri-Q, see if I can make it not cause so much trouble.

New version! This one is mainly focused on improving MIDI support. The big features are:
  • MIDI learn for application and plugin mappings.
  • Per-plugin channel filtering.
  • An Event Log to assist in debugging MIDI and OSC issues (this is mainly for my benefit, tbh.
  • A 64-bit version for Windows.
All the plugins I use are 32-bit, so I haven't done much testing of the 64-bit version. Let me know if anything's broken...

Here's the full change log:

Code: Select all

- Fixed MIDI mapping latch option to work the way you'd expect it to.
- Fixed Audio Recorder deleting previously-recorded files if you re-loaded them and edited the path to select a new destination file.
- Added per-plugin MIDI channel filtering.
- Fixed pure virtual function call if the app receives a MIDI signal while it's closing.
- Implemented MIDI learn for plugin and application mappings.
- Plugin editor windows now take the plugin's user name as their title.
- Fixed Looper crashing/deadlocking sometimes when starting recording via MIDI (I hope; fingers crossed...).
- Fixed File Player loop parameter not being set when loaded from a patch.
- Length of the file is now drawn on the WaveformDisplay component (used by File Player, Looper, Audio Recorder).
- Fixed it so that File Player and Looper play buttons get updated when triggered via MIDI.
- Added Event Log to help when debugging MIDI and OSC issues.
There's also been some changes to JUCE since the last release, which seems to have solved some of the plugin incompatibilities previous versions had.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”