first impressions of the DC12 entrys

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For now i play with the ones i've picked from the list today.

Aurelia Filtha
- nice to play with, but nothing new here

Delay Studio KVR12
- nice delay tool, i really like delays & reverbs
- the GUI looks very nice but the middle position of the knobs are misaligned

Philteroid
- filterbank with a lot of shaping options
- very nice sound at first, sir sweep a lot, i really like to play with
- nice gui too!
- a manual would be cool

PTEq-1a
- nice one, sounds good
- i will compare it later with the others from IK,Nomad and the Leftover Lasange one

Transient
- i really like such tools
- great for drums
- cool design, will test it with more sounds

ThrillseekerXTC
- great entry, very cool for mixing purposes or recorded stuff
- sounds great for me at the first, will test more in the next time

Whats your points? Did you find a bug?

cheers
T

to me most entries sound pretty boring, apart from
* sifft by xoxos - i love to get creative with samples
* transient - one of the best GUI's i know of
* philteroid - fun to play around with - GUI is very small
* thrillseekerXTC - not damn creative but sounding amazing
* delayStudio - nice ideas, but missing a dry/wet knob?

in total i was hoping for more creativity among the contributions and am very thankful for what the dev's did at the same time...

Thanks Dev's & KVR !!!!

Transient! a big bold 5 from me!
Proximity seems like a very useful tool, will give it more time
Sound Rider just looks great ;D

I'm very dissapointed that most of the entries are still 32bit only

So far, I like and kept these:

-Azurite by Distorque Audio - lovely! :love:
-Maxwell Smart (correction: sounding VERY good and the nasty click bug was removed with the latest version)
-Filteroid (seems very cool, but buggy and kinda confusing "gate-envelope" mute action.. hmm, need to spend some more time...)
-PTEq-1a (pretty nice plug but OverTone PTC-2A noticeably better IMO)
-AXP SoftAmp 3OD (pretty cool plug but seems to sound a bit harsh if pushed harder)
-VOS ThrillseekerXTC ... great quality as always from VOS

Kamioooka - very interesting but I got too used to Diva's sound :cry:
KlingKlang - buggy, but highly addictive, fun!

MiniSynthSeries FRET - very cool, fairly clean sound, fun to play with (too bad that I wasn't able to get the other two to work, hopefully they'll get fixed) ... fixed with the latest version

I still have to try some...
Last edited by 3ee on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

I haven't tried all the entries yet but I really love Philteroid and ThrillseekerXTC (Black) so far :)
Especially Philteroid is beyond awesome!
Many filters claim to "scream" but this one really does :hihi:

Cheers
Dennis

3ee wrote:-Filteroid (seems very cool, but buggy and kinda confusing "gate-envelope" mute action.. hmm)
I reported the bugs to the developer. He already sent me a fixed version, it should be up soon :)

Cheers
Dennis

^
plug's credit window wrote:Inspired by Sherman FilterBank2
From the 1st moment saw Philteroid picture It looked kinda familiar... :D
..anyway.. plug seems very promising and hopefully all bugs will be sort out! :)

Tehnik wrote:I'm very dissapointed that most of the entries are still 32bit only
I've tested my 32-bit plugin on a 64-bit system and it "just worked". So I kind of assumed that it's not a problem with the current hosts anymore. I probably should have looked into that deeper before releasing.

Since my plugin is 100% native Windows code that doesn't use any fancy libraries, I think I'm able to release a 64-bit version shortly.
Not sure if I could submit it under the same entry though...

My first impressions are very good.
Some innovative plugins (ToneCarver Boid, G200's modular synth...), some gorgeous GUI (ThrillseekerXTC, Philteroid...), some good-old-fashioned plugins (Ignite amp Eq, ThrillSeekerXTC, FullBucket...), etc
There are so many things to keep me insomniac !

I noticed some bugs :
- (Azurite displays an error window while being scanned by Reaper at startup) ;
- Hydi synth doesn't seem to have any presets, and produces and audible low end drone...

sinkmusic wrote: - Hydi synth doesn't seem to have any presets, and produces and audible low end drone...
Presets are on there way - the first bank got messed up -> a day before entry. No low end drone here - but will keep an ear out for it!

Andrew

I also like GaryG's multitap delay GUI (and sound !), as well as Proximity's GUI.
Space360 seems great, too (but it lacks presets), as well as the Transient Shaper ;)
Poly2016 is obviously crafted with care.
FullBucket shifer is nice.
Martin Eastwood FLame makes me want to try it (It seems to be like Audio Damage Ronin) !
Clip Shifer as a nice vumeter.
Last edited by sinkmusic on Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

No love for Space 360 and SoftAmp 3OD?
yzcoruhT

Yes, Space360 is great.

3ee wrote:So far, I like and kept these:

-AXP SoftAmp 3OD (pretty cool plug but seems to sound a bit harsh if pushed harder)
Thanks for the good word.
As far as I could verify my model, there shouldn't be any artificial harshness. I'll try to look at the prototype circuit that is being modeled, probably there are some tweaks to be made there.

Also note that it doesn't have any smoothing low-pass filters after the tube stage, which are usually present in similar plugins.

If used for guitar amp-like overdrive, it should be followed by tonestack sim and a poweramp/speaker sim. I'll try to make up some sound samples as well as meaningful presets soon to showcase the intended application.

AXP wrote:Also note that it doesn't have any smoothing low-pass filters after the tube stage, which are usually present in similar plugins.

If used for guitar amp-like overdrive, it should be followed by tonestack sim and a poweramp/speaker sim. I'll try to make up some sound samples as well as meaningful presets soon to showcase the intended application.
I thought it a bit brash as well before it occurred to me that just listening to the plug on its owen is a bit like plugging a guitar overdrive pedal straight into a mixer. Needs cab sim etc to smooth the highs. Once I did that then the character came through. Nice. :) Look forward to trying it out with my guitar soon, I like simple fx chains and have never found an all-in-one guitar amp plug I totally liked. Can see 30D being part of my chain from now on.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”