please.. help me mix this monsterous WIP

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I'm making this ridiculous track. It's pretty silly and busy and fast and synthy.

I'm not very confident in my mixing skills, and I just need to know if I'm going at all in the right direction. I typically over mix a lot, so I'm trying to be as light-handed as possible.

Any advice on arrangement, sound design, or mixing would be GREATLY appreciated.

thanks

edit: guess i should include a link
http://soundcloud.com/sti11sh-ded/fubby-4-wip

this lead in the middle seems buried a bit, but I can't seem to get it to stick out without it becoming harsh sounding.. any advice??

anyone?

I did only manage to listen to this for thirty seconds, sorry.
Finally!

I dig the tune- is the main sound, the one at the beginning, FM? The timbre makes it sound "out of tune" (that is, in an alternate tuning), but on purpose. The lead sound coming in at about :53 kind of jumps out, maybe because it's suddenly so mono compared to the stuff beforehand. Don't really have any mixing advice- do you have a specific vision?

The "chirp chirp" synth that's acting as a percussion sound is too muffled IMO.
Last edited by Aroused by JarJar on Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

in other words you think it sucks?

that comment was aimed at the first response, not your Jarjar.

Well yes the first sound is a wavtable with some fm as well, and 2 voice unison with some random pitch modulation.

the lead, yes it does jump in suddenly, perhaps I could have it play a little intro lick or something a few bars before it comes in.

As far as my mixing vision.. no I don't really have one I guess. I just want it to not sound abrasive, and I want everything to be clear.

When the lead part comes in, everything seems indistinct to me. Perhaps it's really just the sound design. Thanks for taking time to listen and comment

stillshaded wrote:that comment was aimed at the first response, not your Jarjar.

Well yes the first sound is a wavtable with some fm as well, and 2 voice unison with some random pitch modulation.

the lead, yes it does jump in suddenly, perhaps I could have it play a little intro lick or something a few bars before it comes in.

As far as my mixing vision.. no I don't really have one I guess. I just want it to not sound abrasive, and I want everything to be clear.

When the lead part comes in, everything seems indistinct to me. Perhaps it's really just the sound design. Thanks for taking time to listen and comment
I think the sounds are cool- what reverb are you using? I know that if this were something I were making, the first thing I'd be thinking of would be rolling off the lows in the reverbs, to make it more clear. Clear but not abrasive, yet full not tinny, is not easy.

stillshaded wrote:
I think you got just the right amount of FM and pitch modulation. One thing you might want to do is check a spectrum analizer and see where there are frequencies being generated below your lowest notes. Then put a clean-sounding eq with a low cut to remove anything rumbling down there- with FM, AM and other modulations you can generate all kinds of stuff down there. You don't have to be heavy-handed about it, don't go too high, so you're not making the sound thin.

I love the part beginning at 0:49...it sounds like a promo song for McDonalds in China...:lol: With this funny part you could make a new song...

Aroused by JarJar wrote:
stillshaded wrote:
I think you got just the right amount of FM and pitch modulation. One thing you might want to do is check a spectrum analizer and see where there are frequencies being generated below your lowest notes. Then put a clean-sounding eq with a low cut to remove anything rumbling down there- with FM, AM and other modulations you can generate all kinds of stuff down there. You don't have to be heavy-handed about it, don't go too high, so you're not making the sound thin.
cool thanks for the tips, I highpassed the reverb (ariesverb) and it actually seemed to help a bit.. I could get away with more reverb, which gives it more of a vibe that's cool.

the synth was already highpassed bit. I like that synth sound too. It has a nice texture to it IMO.

thanks again sir(or m'am but I'm guessing sir.)

Tricky-Loops wrote:I love the part beginning at 0:49...it sounds like a promo song for McDonalds in China...:lol: With this funny part you could make a new song...
haha. I can't tell if you actually like it or not, but yes it is very silly and quasi asian sounding.

stillshaded wrote:
Aroused by JarJar wrote:
stillshaded wrote:
cool thanks for the tips, I highpassed the reverb (ariesverb) and it actually seemed to help a bit.. I could get away with more reverb, which gives it more of a vibe that's cool.

the synth was already highpassed bit. I like that synth sound too. It has a nice texture to it IMO.

thanks again sir(or m'am but I'm guessing sir.)
Well who isn't aroused by Jar Jar? Actually that name came about because of some bug or internet problem that wouldn't let me register here, so after half a dozen tries with indescript names I just thought of the goofiest thing I could for one last attempt. Anyway "sir" (the last time I checked...)

Have you thought of putting the catchy riff Tricky Loops mentioned at the beginning also, as an intro? Also, before the lead comes in, the pause before is just the measure playing out- maybe it would be cool with a longer pause? The song puts me in a good mood, I think it would be cool to complete it so to speak.

stillshaded wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:I love the part beginning at 0:49...it sounds like a promo song for McDonalds in China...:lol: With this funny part you could make a new song...
haha. I can't tell if you actually like it or not, but yes it is very silly and quasi asian sounding.
Here is the place to be: :lol:

Aroused by JarJar wrote: Have you thought of putting the catchy riff Tricky Loops mentioned at the beginning also, as an intro? Also, before the lead comes in, the pause before is just the measure playing out- maybe it would be cool with a longer pause? The song puts me in a good mood, I think it would be cool to complete it so to speak.
great Ideas! I'll try them!

Return to “Music Cafe”