Finally, I'm looking for a decent MIDI keyboard

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I will be going to Guitar Center sometime soon to get a MIDI keyboard for my music. I have logic pro and macbook pro laptop. Is there any MIDI keyboards recommended that are compatable with what i currently have that are decent and well priced? Thanks

Hi, u can check the Akai MPK series, all-in-one solution has knobs/faders/pads
http://www.akaipro.com/keyboards
or M-audio stuffs, CASIO/Yamaha keyboards with USB MIDI connectivity ..
all of em have plug n play support for mac and windows..but double check with the dealer before buying..
and according to ur budget increase the keys. 61 is perfect
BlueSpace Music @ Facebook, @ Reverbnation

I have an M-Audio Axiom 25. I can't really compare it to an array of other keyboards. However, it feels pretty good to me and the pads have pretty good velocity sensitivity. The only problem is that M-Audio have basically no support. The only support I ever got was through their user forums.

Just a few points. Here are a few things you should be looking for:

-Make sure that the features are supported by your DAW. For example, Ableton has Direct Link features that work with a set of keyboards
-Make sure there are knobs and they are comfortable to use. These are good for performance.
-Make sure there are pads. These are great for playing drums and can serve as a cheap alternative to something like Maschine.
-Make sure its comfortable to play.

I love my Axiom-61. Sliders, knobs, drum pads that I have programmed to start/stop backing tracks. The keybed feels really good. I've traveled all over with it.

Only negative; when playing live I have to remember to do a palm gliss over the keybed before playing to get all samples loaded...but that's more likely a fault of my host than the keyboard.

Most important I'd say is that you have to try the keyboard itself. How does it feel when *you* play it? It must feel right to you. Which is why visiting a shop, several times if needed, and trying things out is a good idea.
Then serach the Internet for comments, taking into account that reviews often are a bit on the positive side and critiques by users sometimes far into the negative. Yet a repeated critique on, say, the sensitivity of an xy-pad really is an argument.
There are many good brands. But what do you want?
piano-style? You need 61, 49 or 25 keys? All this does influence the final decision.
Windows 7, Cubase 9.5 and some extra plug-ins | Takamine EN-10C and PRS Mira

Novation ones have Fatar keys that's the key bed Korg and Roland uses on their hardware synths best there is for feel, velocity and aftertouch.

Novation build quality isn't where it should be though made in China. But the keybed is perfect.

Get atleast 61keys with velocity if you are playing piano songs on it some classical piano songs need an 88 key. 61key is more than enough for synthesizer songs.

I use Novation 61SL MK II but the knobs and faders don't matter to me it's better to use a mouse on the DAW or buy a separate controller that goes with your DAW. I'll be getting Ableton Push next year to use with Ableton Live 9.

The feel of the keys is definitely one of the key things to appreciate, varies considerably across manufacturers

Personally I tend to favour Edirol (Roland) midi controller keyboards, excellent keyboard feel and good aftertouch response, but mainly for the simple reason that they have the pitchbend/mod lever as opposed to two separate wheels, suits my playing much better, but YMMV. Build quality excellent as long as you stick to the later models (PCR 500/800 or A-Pro series, the PCR 50/80 series sucks big time and should be avoided if tempted to get one secondhand, notoriously high key failure rate)

Jon

I use Axiom 25.
Great tool !

Another one for Novation SL 61 MKII. :)

Like you I have a mbp and logic.
I use an Axiom25. It was very inexpensive, and after almost 3 years, has had no problems.
It also came with LiveLite.

I picked up a M-Audio Keystation on ebay for $40, and paired with a $30 Korg Nanokontrol that sits right on top, I've been very happy. The Keystation is crazy lightweight and has an excellent soft touch velocity response for a synth-style keyboard, and the Nanokontrol gives me transport control, and more knobs and faders than I have fingers!

There are versions that come with KeyRig or the Pro Tools Essential software included, and when I registered my Keystation with M-Audio, they gave me a copy of Bass and Drum Rig to boot! Nice!

The KeyRig software also has a very nice GM player too, if you need a quick sketchpad for writing.

KVR/eSoundz: Xenobt

A question to all you guys using the Axiom: Is it normal that it takes a while on the first launch of a VSTi for the controls to react on the MIDI input of the knobs and sliders of the Axiom? I mostly need to turn them around "the whole way" until the VSTi controls respond to it... also on some sliders, i have the problems that the display of the Axiom shows values from -64 to 64 instead of 0-127. The weird thing is, i slide it the whole way sometimes, then it switches to 0-127 and the VSTi responds... already posted that problem in another thread and did a factory reset in response to a tip i was given, but that didn't do it really.

I am very pleaded woth my roland a800pro. Great midi controller with plenty of assignable knobs and sliders.

Cheers

Stuart

I use the M-Audio Keystation 49 at home (saves lots of space) and I throw a Korg nanoKEY in my netbook or laptop bag when I take one of those on the road. Both are cheap and built to last - highly recommended.

DG
david gaines, dma | composer
davidgaines.org | facebook.com/davidgainescomposer

Finale, Sonar, Audacity, VSL, VDL, Garritan
Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, 8gb RAM

I made the mistake of getting a weighted keyboard (M-Audio Keystation Pro)when I had always played an unweighted synth style keyb. Threw my playing all off to hell.

Also, I love the Roland pitchbend/mod paddle and I miss that terribly.

Don't give up what you need in favor of what you're "supposed" to use.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”