Transient - KVR DC12 Support Thread

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey everyone,

This thread will serve as a quick and easy way to ask/answer any questions, bugs, comments, or whatever else you may have regarding my DC12 entry: Transient.

You can also contact me anonymously (or login on tumblr) via the "Ask Me Anything" button on my website. http://www.sleepytimerecords.com. It appears to be down right now. Hopefully tumblr will bring my page back up soon! You can also follow @sleepytimerec on twitter, though I admit I don't update that as often!

Have a great day and happy voting!
-Dustin
Sleepy-Time Records
Last edited by d.bop on Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your website seems down :(

Your Transient plugin works fantastic! Those two knobs in the middle can really change everything around :D I've yet to work out the frequency knobs so there's more playtime ahead :hihi: Thank you, this one is going to my "essential" list straight away :)
:hug:

Thank you!

The frequency knobs narrow which frequencies are detected and modified by the transient detector. The two examples I like to give are increasing the "click" on a kick drum or de-essing vocals. You can hear what the transient detector is listening to by setting MONITOR to DET.

I use tumblr for my website, which is a blog website. I'm hoping they get it back up and running soon! I just added my twitter account to the first post of this thread if you'd like to follow that. @sleepytimerec

Thanks again!
-Dustin

I just want to say that Transient plugin is a great and useful tool. I don't test it on a serious projects yet but it's enought to fell in love with that :P.

Good job!

I gave this my 5 too and I doubt I will find any bugs in it so I will mention the one thing that I don't like, even though I feel bad giving it any criticism at all: The brightness level combined with the brushed metal look on the new knobs is slightly uncomfortable, the more subdued knob look on your stereo plugs is easier on the eyes but the knob skin on dbvu was perfect and the one on upcoming crosstalk looks great too. The contrast between slick modern skin and light reflection/brushed metal crosses a wire and glitches in my brain.
miedex

Very solid plugin. I like:
- how it works/processes
- "x2" buttons
- advanced mode
- solo function

Really mature, practical and user friendly plugin.
To be honest the best I've tested so far from DC12 and I went through most of them already.

Actually I've acquired recently SPL TD, which is also good. However, after testing Transient it will be my first choice.

Many thanks to the developer (STR) - good job!

Thank you so much everyone! It puts a huge smile on my face knowing it's working out well for you all. Thank you!
miedex wrote:...I will mention the one thing that I don't like, even though I feel bad giving it any criticism at all: The brightness level combined with the brushed metal look on the new knobs is slightly uncomfortable, the more subdued knob look on your stereo plugs is easier on the eyes but the knob skin on dbvu was perfect and the one on upcoming crosstalk looks great too. The contrast between slick modern skin and light reflection/brushed metal crosses a wire and glitches in my brain.
I really appreciate all types of criticism for my work so don't feel bad. Knowing what the users like and dislike are the only way to make things better! ;)

I try to build and expand from previous work for every new plugin so I'll definitely take this into consideration for future software.

Thanks again everyone!
-Dustin
Sleepy-Time Records

For dummies, here's a short interesting paper about transient processors :

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/mix ... our-mixes/
You can't always get what you waaaant...

It is excellent, very much appreciated.
It packs a lot of very useful features (i even wonder why did anybody ever thought about implementing it in any other transient shaper ???) in a very clean and use friendly GUI. The visual feedback is great too, and i dig the detector, it opens a lot of possibilites.
The only thing is that i think it can distort quite easily at short release settings with bass-heavy material (well, most dynamic processor distort with short release settings and bass-heavy material, but while i can "push" some compressors below 80-100ms without hearing bad distortion, your transient shaper started to distort around 140ms - which is not bad, and i simply had to adjust the detector settings to get rid of the artifacts, but i wanted to let you know about it).
Thank you for your plugin !

I second and third the previous comments about your plugin being great. I think you really nailed the GUI, and I appreciate how all of your plugins have the same look and feel. When I started working on my own plugin, I printed out a lot of screenshots of plugins that looked great, and ones that didn't. I still haven't put my finger on all on the specific qualities that make a good UI, but I think the TRANSIENT UI really works.

I would like to see darker GUI but for now this and variety of sounds Thrillseeker XTC are two absolutely best FX plugs (for me) in this contest

Transient is as excellent as all of your plugins are d.bop. Thank you!

Transient is one of my top 3 so far. ;)

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Just opened up the advanced section, holy sh*t, this one will work magic on breaks. Thanks for the plugin, will get my vote for sure.

Thanks so much everybody! I'm really glad Transient is working well!

As for the GUI, I'm closing in on the Sleepy-Time's software "style" and I made a quick mockup I'll be using for future Transient updates. Don't worry! The layout will remain the same. Just some color tweaks to make it fit in a little better with the rest of my plugins. :)

Also, I'm working on some things to clear up some of the distortion with faster envelope timings (thanks sinkmusic!) I've mentioned that this is my first attempt at transient-dependent processing and I've learned a lot since I finished this plugin. Some parts will most-likely be rewritten with lighter code giving better audible results. This update will come after the DC is finished.

@random_id
When I make GUI's, I like to make the most common/most important controls grab the user's attention. For example, MonoChannel and StereoChannel have a big meter and a big volume knob. The plugins' main use is for gain-staging, so the other "extra" controls are smaller. Same with Transient. Two big volume knobs that are the most important, the rest is for "tweaking." I also try to keep common controls together. Symmetry is another thing I like to use to make things look nice. And flow from top to bottom (most important stuff at the top.) Haha I guess there are a lot of things I do that I haven't really thought about until now. :)
Search Google for software UI design. I'm sure there's a lot out there! Left-to-right and top-to-bottom seem to be the most common ways to do things. But just like audio, it all comes down to digging in and trying out different things.

Thanks again everyone!
-Dustin

Great !
Looking forward to see how it evolves ;)

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”