Clip Shifter: DC 2012 Support/Feedback

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
This thread is for any support issues related to Clip Shifter. Additionally, it would be great to hear suggestions for improvement and preset ideas.

Know Issues:
At this time, I discovered that Clip Shifter will only work on Windows Vista/7 (not sure about 8, but I think it should be fine). There is an error when trying to run the plugin in XP. I know the cause of the problem, and I should be able to correct it in a short time. I will post here, as well as update all of the links with another version as soon as I can correct the problem.

Thanks,
Matt

Thanks for the info, looks like I'll have to go onto my Win7 ornamental pc to try this out. I just haven't actually got around to leaving XP yet, you know it just feels like.............home.

Hi,
I was able to recompile a version of the plugin that should work with Windows XP. At this point, it is only 32-bit. I have tested it on two Windows 7 machines and it appears to work; however, I have not done extensive testing. I do not have an XP machine, so if someone would let me know if this works, I would be extremely appreciative.

The file can be downloaded at the bottom of this page http://www.lvcaudio.com/plugins

Thanks for your help and patience.

thanks, just a quick open and run in FL9 with XP and it seems fine. Though it hasn't been thoroughly tested.

Hi,

the "Test Version for Windows XP (32-bit)" works now on my system "WinXP SP3, 32bit, Reaper 4.261". Thanks for your effort and btw clip shifter is a nice little usefull tool. Definitively a favorite.

Cheers...

Hi,
I am working on a new version of ClipShifter. I already have a tentative new GUI that includes a waveform view, oversampling, and better VUs. If you have any suggestions for new features or fixes, please let me know.
Thanks,

Hi
I like that new GUI better.
Maybe the knobs could benefit a bit more work ?
I'm glad ClipShifter gets udpated and improved ;)

Thanks for the input. I am finishing up a few things with the code, but I think your comment about the knobs is a good one. I am torn with the design, though. I don't want to recreate knobs that look like identical to hardware knobs. I think I want to break tradition with plugins replicating that just replicate hardware (in look and sound). That being said, what should a knob look like if it isn't looking like a hardware knob? I think I am over-analyzing this too much.

Incidentally, if you tried posting this same comment on my website, I apologize. I think I had the anti-spam controls set a little too high. It has been blocking all of the comments.

Yes, i tried to post about it yesterday, and it didn't get published.?
Anyways, i hate blogs as a chat place, so i'm happy your thread lives in Kvr land ;)

In another week or so I plan on beta testing version 2 of ClipShifter. If anyone is interested in helping, feel free to PM me or send me an email at matt [circle a thingy] lvcaudio [dot] com.

For anyone that wants to try the latest ClipShifter, I uploaded the beta versions to my site (http://lvcaudio.com). The following is a list of the changes.
ClipShifter - 1.1.0
Changes and new features
User Interface:
-Rearranged controls
-Added waveform history viewer
o Default view displays 10 seconds. The blue handle underneath the waveform view slide left and right to change the display from 0.25 to 20 seconds
o Both the input, output, and clipping threshold are displayed
o Horizontal lines representing the Initial and End thresholds are displayed. Clicking and dragging the lines will change the corresponding thresholds.
o VU lines are represented on the waveform view. The blue handle to the left of the waveform view can be adjusted to focus on the upper portion of the waveform view. The view can be adjusted to approximately -2 dB (i.e., only the portions of the waveform greater than -2dB will be displayed).
- VU meters
o The VU meters view can be scaled like the waveform history control. The handle on the left of the waveform history view adjusts the VU display as well.
o Loudness indicator is added to the Output VU. This displays the range between the peak level and the RMS level. The more narrow this shape is, the less dynamic range.
o Ballistics of the meters were changed
- VU (shaded area) - 0.1ms attack, 300ms decay
- PPM (solid blue line) - 3ms attack, 5000ms decay
- Peak Reduction - 0.1ms attack, 1000ms decay
- RMS (for loudness meter) - 1000ms attack, 1000ms decay
Controls:
- Clip Shape: Increased the lowest setting of the control. The lowest setting approximates a compression setting of 1.5:1.
- Attack and Release time of Clipping Threshold: Changed from a linear curve to a logarithmic attack and release curve. The attack time was expanded to range from 1ms to 3500ms. The release time is set as a multiple of the attack time (fast equals twice the attack time, regular equals 10 times the attack time).
- Alias Filter: Added filter to remove alias effects at higher frequencies. There are 4 settings: off, 1, 2, and 3. Numbers 1, 2, and 3 are more aggressive low-pass filters to remove any aliasing. There may be some unintended side-effects of rolling off audible frequencies.
- Harmonics control: Add even-order harmonics to output. The original algorithm only produced odd-order harmonics. Even order harmonics can be added by decreasing the harmonics control. At a setting of 1.0, only odd-order harmonics are present. Note: adding more even-order harmonics can also increase to the output of the plugin, depending on the input and output gain settings.
- Preset control (test feature): Small square at the bottom-left corner of the plugin. Clicking the box will save a file on your desktop called preset.txt with the values of the controls. If you select this text (or text from another file) and copy the text to the clipboard (i.e., control-C), you can load the preset back into the plugin. Right-clicking the square will load text from the clipboard and change the current settings of the plugin. At this time, this is only a test feature and it will be improved in the future.

Thank you for your interest in ClipShifter. Please contact me with any suggestions or bugs at matt [at] lvcaudio [dot] com. I would also like to know how you are using ClipShifter. If you would be willing to send me some audio samples (or links), I will try to include them on my site. I am also looking for any suggestions regarding presets. If you find an interesting setting, click the preset square to save the settings to a file. You can email the settings to me as a file, and I will try to incorporate the presets into the final non-beta release.

Thanks,
Matt

Thank you
It looks good, i will try it :)

I just tried it brefly, but i like it so far.
Thank you for sharing.

The spectrum display is great (even if its rather hard to read the white txt on the grey background) ;
The zoom feature is very good too !
I don't really like the big white border on the top & left of the waveform display, but it's a bit of nitpicking ;)
Did you ever consider adding a LF filter (to avoid excessive processing due to bass power), like in SignalDust's clipper or DLM CLipStar ?
And a soft knee, like in GVST clipper ?

Hi,
Ben has setup a separate forum for LVC-Audio at http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=223. If anyone has any suggestions or bugs for the beta of ClipShifter, please let me know.

Thanks,

Thank you for this fantastic clip-compressor!

The graphic display including treshold-line and peak-line is marvellous! :love:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”