Strumpet (135bpm rock)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nice groove!

On the guitar solo, I'm hearing some cool guitar tone reminiscent of Ace Frehley's early KISS era. Is the guitar playing a little "loose" in a few spots? A little bit of wave editing could really tighten it up for you.

The chaotic synths do a good job of adding a degree of "tension" while the other instruments retain the compositional factors well.

Would you mind if I suggested that you use a little subtractive EQing on the guitar, keyboards and drums tracks? There is some unnecessary low mid energy muddying your mix at the 380hz - 440hz range (-3dB). I don't think it would detract from the nice warmth of your mix to add a little bit of sheen up around 13k - 16k (+1dB shelf) on the master output.

Try a very narrow cut of about 2dB @ 120hz, and add 1.5dB - 2.0dB @ 2.4k, on your kick. All of a sudden, I'll bet that your bass will spring to life even more, and your kick will have more punch and definition. I suspect that you wouldn't have to alter your compression settings. Just sayin . . . .

My listen left me with the impression of a good band "kicking it" in a decent basement studio. For this genre of music, the drier, direct sound works quite well. :)

Good job, mate. :hihi:
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

thanks bc! i'll investigate these eq suggestions next time this one is loaded into the 'daw'. (edit: ok, i actually did something with each of those 'eq action items' and it's uploading now...)

It seems that I missed the original upload, so I'm assuming that this is v2. It seems to have quite a well "rounded" sound. I do like the kick on here. It seems to mesh well with the bass. I liked the end of the solo going into the last verse. That was a good transition. I enjoyed the song too!

Good work :)

Very nice, almost mainstream at times, I like the far-out hyperactive solo. And I like the mix much more than the last time.

i've done a bit of experimenting with this mix. the new 'maxwell smart' (from the kvr 2012 developers' contest) is used on the mixbus. also, the highs of the bass are panned left. some filters have been dispensed with, and replaced with an eq which is performing 'the same' tasks as multiple filters had before. now, the mix sounds kind of 'overly bright'.

anyway, the waveform for 'strumpet' with maxwell smart ('limiter') is 'way different' than it was with de la mancha sixty-65 ('compressor')

also, speaking of that last tune - swiss miss - i've re-done that mix, also with (among other 'new' things) maxwell smart. the renoise file for that is available. the mix is/was problematic, in part because the drum track actually has a guitar part mixed in with it; a guitar part having nothing to do with this song, and even being in a different key. in any event, i really like this drum performance by trent65. in this mix, the drums are 'beefed up' and hopefully the bass is a bit more 'clear'.

Swiss Miss remix and Renoise file...

as always, thanks for the listens/comments!

Hey MrBlitz!

Thank you very much for listening to my suggestions and being willing to give them a whirl. Your new mix makes your fine composition come to life much better than before.

What do you think, fellows?

There's a more professional-sounding definition happening now. Your original emphasis on "warmth" remains intact. You've enhanced it by: "excluding" unnecessary low mid overtones, and "including" some upper spectrum polish.

When I listened to your track as it was originally, I found it a little fatiguing in the low mid spectrum. Now, the audio fatigue is greatly eliminated and harmonics are "allowed" to be heard. The HF sounds well-balanced with the low end. There's a bit more "room" for the various elements to blend together. The kick and bass are not arm-wrestling for the same frequency space.

Good job.
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

b.c.!, i added back in the dlm sixty-five compressor. hopefully it yet sounds balanced from a frequency standpoint.

as for the guitar and tightness/looseness... the main thing that bugs me about it are a couple of the bends. you were correct in comparing it to ace frehley, as that is exactly what i was going for (at least toward the beginning of the solo... later i was going for 'vinnie vincent' (lol)).

back in the day, ace's bends were always 'perfect' and a couple of these here aren't as exact in that regard. i can't even remember what was going on whilst tracking; in the past, my bends were always right where they needed to be. it could be i couldn't hear myself during the tracking (because of my set-up; long story short). it could be i'm getting old; idk.

given my level of practice (not professional); there are always bound to be some anomalies in the performances. i like to keep it a bit 'real' so that, if ever there were to be a gig, the audience expectations wouldn't be too high based upon a recording.

anyway, thanks for all of the feedback...

one of your best mixes i've heard from you so far, good song, good mix... a winner :x 8)
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote:one of your best mixes i've heard from you so far, good song, good mix... a winner :x 8)
+1 :)

nice work.. sounds good

Return to “Music Cafe”