Maximum VST2 parameter counters?

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In a dark corner of the VST 2.4 SDK are Parameter Properties. Make sure you implement them as well as the Parameter Categories.

That way you give the host a fair shot at presenting huge amounts of parameters in the a way that an user might be able to grasp. Although I doubt if any host looks at those :hihi:

[2c]
Grtx, Marc Jacobi.
VST.NET | MIDI.NET

obiwanjacobi wrote:In a dark corner ...
exactly
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

Why not store the programmable patterns in "banks" which can be controlled by just a couple parameters? For example, Param 1 selects the pattern number 1-16, and Param 2 selects the bank number 1-16? The plugin's VST state can store the actual pattern data, and the DAW can select the pattern. I honestly wouldn't want to manually manipulate dozens of boolean parameters in my DAW just to enable/re-enable the gate or velocity for each of the 16 eighth notes.

mystran wrote:Ok, so basically I suppose I can probably tell what I'm up to: I'm doing a sort of pattern sequencer thingie (not quite, but that should give some kind of context anyway), and I'd basically love to make all the pattern data something you can automate. Ofcourse you wouldn't do that manually per-parameter, but point is you could record changes on the fly.
Rather than having 7 squadillion parameters you could maybe encode the changes into one? Send pairs, an index and a value, or encode them into the bits of one float?

Assuming hosts dont mess with the parameters values, thin or scale them, it should work, maybe.

[I should have read whole thread, some else already sugested it.]
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

obiwanjacobi wrote:In a dark corner of the VST 2.4 SDK are Parameter Properties. Make sure you implement them as well as the Parameter Categories.
any idea which hosts support these?

hibrasil wrote:
obiwanjacobi wrote:In a dark corner of the VST 2.4 SDK are Parameter Properties. Make sure you implement them as well as the Parameter Categories.
Quoted out of this specific context:
AdmiralQuality wrote:Why not test out the popular hosts [...]
Might whip one up myself just to see what happens, should only take a few minutes.
Maybe AQ will pick up the towel... ehrmmm, I meant glove.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

hibrasil wrote:
Last I asked (few years ago I guess) the list was basically VSTHost + Cubendo. I don't think the list has expanded much. :P

vortico wrote:Why not store the programmable patterns in "banks" which can be controlled by just a couple parameters?
I do have "pattern select" which can be automated. If I want to also automate the actual pattern data though, I need the automation to be specific to one pattern, hence multiplying the number of parameters by the number of patterns.

The reason is that automation playback in hosts is unpredictable enough, that without per-pattern duplication the pattern contents would end up getting randomly shuffled, which defeats the purpose of even trying to automate them.

Without this duplication, my parameter counts would be large, but reasonable.

sonigen wrote:
mystran wrote:Ok, so basically I suppose I can probably tell what I'm up to: I'm doing a sort of pattern sequencer thingie (not quite, but that should give some kind of context anyway), and I'd basically love to make all the pattern data something you can automate. Ofcourse you wouldn't do that manually per-parameter, but point is you could record changes on the fly.
Rather than having 7 squadillion parameters you could maybe encode the changes into one? Send pairs, an index and a value, or encode them into the bits of one float?
Since the beginning of this project, I've encoded data into combined parameters. Specifically, I encode 8 bits into each parameter. That's kinda the maximum that's still "more or less" editable in an average host. The "squadillion" parameters is AFTER such encoding. ;)

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”