any unique sounding scales? or chord progressions?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kullervo wrote: if using two pentatonic scales a semitone apart is allowed, I might give it a try :hihi:
I'd love to hear it! :)

i use all sharps, starting at any point in the scale as a home note.

eg a+ b+ c+ d+ e+ f+ g+ (+=sharp)

great read! did nt realize there are so many kinds of scales!

Lost_Highway wrote:
jazzraps wrote:exotic, darker
Since I discovered it, I've been a big fan of the double harmonic scale, a.k.a. Arabic or Byzantine scale.

C Db E F G Ab B C

It can sound quite exotic (to someone raised on Western music) and lends itself to tritones and diminished chords quite a bit so can sound pretty dark.

I find it useful to flatten the seventh from time to time, turning it into the Phrygian dominant:

C Db E F G Ab Bb C
I didn't know that was called phrygian. When I was 19 I thought I discovered that scale haha. I use it naturally. I can always make something up with that.

vurt wrote:i use all sharps, starting at any point in the scale as a home note.

There is no such thing as a b#
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

tapper mike wrote:

c?

tapper mike wrote:

What's the leading tone in the key of C#m?

tapper mike wrote:

Yes there is, it is the leading tone in the key of C#, and/or the major third above G# (among other less usual things such as the augmented second above A).

In orchestral and choir music b# is intoned differently than c, depending on the interpretation and what's being interpreted (i.e. Mozart differentiated between G# and Ab but not between B# and C, whereas Richard Strauss was very strict about chromaticism so you'll see all kinds of double sharps and flats as well as less usual chromaticism such as b#).

tapper mike wrote:

seems all those years learning have left some major gaps in your theory knowledge. id get my money back if i were you, missing out on such basic stuff as this.

you even have F##, but I don't remember how you should write that :P

Jesse Gorter wrote:you even have F##, but I don't remember how you should write that :P
As F## or with a sign that looks like an X: FX

gabebrunogarza1021 wrote:
jazzraps wrote:Hey guys, I made this post because Im so sick of using and hearing the same scales and chords in music, and im getting kinda bored of using the same blues scale in my pieces.. Just wondering if you guys have any favourites that you use in your stuff...im looking for more of an exotic, darker, jazzier kinda feel..feel free to post regardless though! Thanks!
Use scales for experimenting with music but don't "try" to create something from a scale.
That's a road block.

I learned this
http://documentation.apple.com/en/logic ... 6section=0

Created Environment Macros for all the scales here
http://www.dolmetsch.com/pianochords.htm

and now do this to experiment with scales
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Os0b1seX1g

I also have this
http://www.thumbjam.com/

and with all the scales from the above scale web site (dolmetsch) I created a scale file that I loaded in ThumbJam and now after I create something cool in Logic using my customized Environment Macros, I can improv using ThumbJam with the scale I was using in my Logic project or experiment with ThumbJam by switching scales to see if a different scale sounds cool against the scale in my Logic project.

And yes, I can record all this into Logic as well. :D
Some cool link in your post, thanks for sharing.

Return to “Music Theory”