Rad Blues (57bpm) and Julie Newmar (138bpm)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ok, moving forward on the 'mutation' album, 2 more songs on a saturday:

Rad Blues ft Bill Ray, and
Julie Newmar ft Loveshadow

thanks in advance for any comments, including mix advice.

uploading new 'julie newmar'. the solo in particular is a work in progress. usually i 'keep it real' by using a single take. this one on the other hand is an amalgam of the 'best' parts of several takes. now there's a set form to the thing, in order to practice towards that.

Mike Patton studying under Captain Beefheart! Nice!

Rad Blues - Jimmy Page haz dubstep - Like a wobbly "Since I've been Loving You" or "Tea For One". Great guitar solo.

Julie Newmar sees mrblitz join forces with some tasty riffage (and forget to put some money in the prepayment electricity meter). Looking forward to the rest of the solo. Quite a nice guitar tone on here too.

Good work :)

Suggestions for Rad Blues: Try editing out some lip/tongue noises and maybe roughen up the vocals with some sort of distortion.

@abstractcats.. i'll have to invesgtigate mike patton's music. from google/youtube, it appears he is/was a singer/guitarist for faith no more; and has a solo career. i was checking out some thing with a 'spanish ensemble', where he was singing in spanish.

@seismic1.. i've retaken the guitar solo; all riffs strung together in a single take. there are a couple of slight variations from the original. it's definitely not perfect, but it's working toward cohesion.

@skipscada.. there very well could be a lot of 'lip' and 'tongue' sounds in there, but i'm wondering if you're referring to the glitch effect, or the b-b-b-b-b-b-babay type of stuff which is admittedly perhaps overdone. when i'm doing the 'b-b-b-b-b' thing, it's never clear whether i'm paying homage to robert plant, or parodying him. it's probably a bit of both.

as for putting some 'rasp' on the voice as an effect; that's a definite consideration.

thanks again for all of the comments.

I think that the new solo has a better flow than the original, but I'm not sure why. Did you rewrite it before performing the latest take, or were the "joins" slightly out of whack on the original?

hi seismic1, there are a couple of small changes, and even with the new mistakes, the thing sounds to have better overall 'flow' than the previous amalgam. it's not clear if the previous had 'time alignment' issues or if the riffs just weren't as well-played.

previously, there was an 'extra hit' on one of the fast - 16th note - parts which bugged me, even though it was 'in time'; it just seemed to interrupt the 'pulse'.

the 'trilled arps' in the earlier part seem better here. and there's that new riff, where the first trilled triad isn't finished with trills, but rather a string bend (to 5th) and a 'high' 3rd (the bend to 5th combined with the upper 3rd being an old 'blues cliche').

i've just uploaded a new mix, which is less 'hot' than the previous one (went a bit overboard with maxwell smart there).

Return to “Music Cafe”