IK's Classik Studio Reverb, [was] on sale, good deal or no?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cowudders wrote:Does the 90/91 have modulated Early Reflections on the Ambience? Does spin/wander make the sound more chorussy on the PCM when the tail is turned down?
Yes.

Warp69 wrote:
cowudders wrote:Does the 90/91 have modulated Early Reflections on the Ambience? Does spin/wander make the sound more chorussy on the PCM when the tail is turned down?
Yes.
thanks! :tu:

Warp69 wrote:
Yes.
Have you compared the PCM91 Ambience with the Ambience on the Lex 300 or 480L?

The Lexicon 300 Ambience has modulated early reflections. I can't tell if the tail is modulated, but describing the tail as a "reverb" is being overly charitable. It is obvious that all of the cycles needed to be spent on the modulating early reflections.

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote:Have you compared the PCM91 Ambience with the Ambience on the Lex 300 or 480L?

The Lexicon 300 Ambience has modulated early reflections. I can't tell if the tail is modulated, but describing the tail as a "reverb" is being overly charitable. It is obvious that all of the cycles needed to be spent on the modulating early reflections.
Yes - the structures are identical. Funny thing on the PCM91 - the wander parameter doesn't function at all - has to be a bug or not, since it's called Random Ambience on 480L and 300L, but just Ambience on PCM91.

AFAIK - David didn't come up with the (Random) Ambience algorithm - someone else did. And the Early Reflections should be from the Boston Hall.

Apparently there was no guidelines for updating the OS for hardware units, so the algorithms actual changed a bit everytime the hardware was updated depending on who programmed the update?!

Warp69 wrote:
valhallasound wrote:Have you compared the PCM91 Ambience with the Ambience on the Lex 300 or 480L?

Yes - the structures are identical. Funny thing on the PCM91 - the wander parameter doesn't function at all - has to be a bug or not, since it's called Random Ambience on 480L and 300L, but just Ambience on PCM91.
Weird. Is there a fixed amount of Wander, or is it just Spin without any random "wanderization"?
AFAIK - David didn't come up with the (Random) Ambience algorithm - someone else did. And the Early Reflections should be from the Boston Hall.
I rented a 480L this week, that didn't have Random Hall or Random Ambience (grrr). It did have the "Effects" algorithm, however. If I was going to guess at the hypothetical history of the Ambience algorithm, I would wager that it had its roots in the 480L "Effects" algorithm. That algorithm doesn't sound like chorus or flanging, or anything like the 6-Voice chorus in my PCM70, but it does sound a lot like the Ambience in my Lex 300 with the tail level turned all the way down.
Apparently there was no guidelines for updating the OS for hardware units, so the algorithms actual changed a bit everytime the hardware was updated depending on who programmed the update?!
This seems pretty likely to me. Not only did the algorithms differ between hardware models, the ROM updates could sometimes change things totally around. This happened with the Lex 300. I have the 1.1.x ROM, which has entirely different algorithms than the 3.0.x updates. I don't know if the addition of Random Hall and Random Ambience to the 480L was linked to changes in the earlier algorithms, but it certainly changes what the 480L was capable of. The 480L with just the "Reverberation" algorithms (Room/Hall and "Dense") isn't that much more impressive than my LXP15, and probably uses a similar base algorithm.

Sean Costello

Both CSR and Vallhall are great reverbs... I have them both. I think CSR is a great value at $49.00. I have a ton of IK stuff and I love it all. I usually get stuff on sale from either IK or eSoundz (Sonic Reality). I recently got SampleTank with two extra tanks for $29.00! Perhaps the best deal I've ever found! All the IK products are great IMHO!
D Scarlatti, Dell XPS8700 i7/8gb mem/1tb hd/Steiny UR22/Presonus ER5s/Nektar LX61 kbd ctrlr/Win 10 Pro/S1 4.6/ my music here: https://www.magix.info/us/profile/my-profile/media/

Integratron wrote:Both CSR and Vallhall are great reverbs... I have them both. I think CSR is a great value at $49.00. I have a ton of IK stuff and I love it all. I usually get stuff on sale from either IK or eSoundz (Sonic Reality). I recently got SampleTank with two extra tanks for $29.00! Perhaps the best deal I've ever found! All the IK products are great IMHO!
+1 Amen! to everything that Integration said. CSR is still a very respectable reverb purchase (especially when it's on sale.) There are better plugins, but you have to pay much higher prices. SKnote's reverbs are definitely worth checking out too.

I was such a big dumb galoot concerning the recent eSoundz sale. I was actually in the process of submitting an order and got called away for a bit. When I got back, I was tired and needed to get to rest for the next morning's work. I closed my laptop cover without finishing the order. The sale was no longer in effect by the time I got home from work the following day. DOH!
Thanks & God Bless,
Bro. Charles
Reviewer's Revival Blogsite | Facebook

Integratron wrote:Both CSR and Vallhall are great reverbs... I have them both. I think CSR is a great value at $49.00. I have a ton of IK stuff and I love it all. I usually get stuff on sale from either IK or eSoundz (Sonic Reality). I recently got SampleTank with two extra tanks for $29.00! Perhaps the best deal I've ever found! All the IK products are great IMHO!
Except it is not 49 dollars.. this was a thread bumped from many months ago when the sale was on.

Thanks for the kind words. :)
No longer with IK. Here is my Website | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram

I bought CSR already in their September deal. Love it every day and use it as my go to reverb in almost every production.

Really is a great set of verbs. :)
No longer with IK. Here is my Website | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram

ObiK wrote:Really is a great set of verbs. :)
Sure is. Now tell your devs to get us the update with 64bit compatibility to so that we can all us it again! ;)

Soon...

Return to “Effects”