Passion Flute subtleties with an EWI4000s controller

Official support for: orangetreesamples.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

theres some simple cc limiting in kontakt itself.

also i use insert piz here midiconvert3 to do cc compression/scaling

for keyswitches you could use insert piz here midichords to map the keyswitch key along with your actual played pitch key at the same time and use different octave ranges to trigger different keyswitch settings.

i remember trying that in nuendo/chorder and not having it respond smoothly, havent tried midichords but now that youve reminded me i think i will this week.

i gigged last night and havent setup my laptop to look and make 100% sure but i think i max out velocity on all notes and do everything with dynamics and expression. i can get the ppp to fff just using those.

very exciting to hear its going well and about cpu etc.

the only additional thing would be to mention again itd be nice to have intonation emulation adjustable, or at least toggled.

beyond that maybe extend the low range into alto flute territory. while handing out candy on holloween i was listening to the great pumpkin charlie brown and thinking how much of that could be passionflute except for the lowest notes.

or maybe do alto flute as another product,as well as bass flute, and human whistling too.

Tony, the only problem with the piz MIDI plugs is that they're only VST and not AU, which is a problem for anyone using Logic/MainStage. I'd love to use them but can't because I'm running MainStage.

argh, indeed.

Reading about what you are up to with this has me really excited, Greg. :D
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

I've seen Passion Flute mentioned in a positive light on several forums. I agree it's a great library. With breath/wind controller implemented it will be spectacular! :D -Perry-

Maddcow wrote:Is there any way to scale the controller response range? i.e. if the Dynamics fader is assigned to CC#2, is there any way to put upper and/or lower limits to this?
Quick response to this point while I'm reading these replies. Kontakt has a built-in limiter for automation ranges, but you have to navigate to the "Auto" / "Midi Automation" section in Kontakt's left side bar. It's at the bottom of the tab, labeled "From %" and "To %". Are those controls helpful? Or were you hoping for value-specific (e.g. the exact value instead of a percentage) controls?
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Greg, I'll have to check out what you're referring to but I assume that any scaling via your suggested method would be global for Passion Flute and not specific to a particular slider in Passion Flute's interface? What I'd like to be able to do is scale the response for individual Passion Flute controls if this is possible e.g. values of 40-120 for CC#2 on Expression, values of 1-127 for CC#2 on Dynamics, values of 40-80 for CC#2 on Harmonics, values of 20-60 on CC#1 for Vib Speed etc.

I hope that makes sense.

Surprisingly yes, you can assign different limits for different controls. They call them "parameters", so if you automate CC #2 to both expression and dynamics, you can see in the "assigned to" section that it controls two parameters. The "From %" and "To %" ranges apply to the selected parameter, so you can set different ranges for each.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

Greg, thanks so much for that tidbit of info. I wasn't aware of this but I'll definitely explore what can be done now that I know! I sincerely appreciate your openness, knowledge and efforts to help refine an already great product for us wind controller users. Just let me know if there's anything I can do to help you....I have a lot more time available between now and the New Year.

i picked up an interesting conversation between girl photographers at a wedding i played on the mic i use in the room to record

http://soundcloud.com/tonyostinato/jjhillset1

its at 7:54

girl1: i wanna know what instrument hes playing

girl2: looks like a clarinet

girl1: i know but it sounds like a flute

long pause

girl2: it really does

:)

That's hilarious! One of my friends was playing upright bass at a gig, and a kid wanted to know what instrument he was playing. Then the kid's mom kindly informed her that it was a cello.

Great playing, btw!
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

i have a couple wx5's, the one im playing there was the dark blue one, and that seems to get identified as a clarinet because its dark, i think.

the silver one makes people think twice.

its pleasing tho that 2 average people identified flute with no problem.

and thanks, i love passionflute and am really looking forward to the update. in the wedding/party band we do hot hot hot and they give me a big solo for the ending and ive been using a trombone sound because passionflute just doesnt work so well on the latin licks id play there but once it does ill be usin that every show because itd be perfect, so therell be lots of recordings of that.

So I have the basic note/legato handling part done, and so far it's a lot more responsive--should handle those latin solos nicely, Tony. ;)

The hardest part is going to be getting the legato to sound natural, since it's synthetic rather than using legato interval samples.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples

hard to beat whatever it does for legato currently. i always remember to slur a lot when using it, its during those passages id swear we hired a flute player.

Agreed, the legato passages are very fluid already. If you are working to improve those... wow!
Always learning....

Return to “Orange Tree Samples”