What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

Keyboard-mapping Wavs I just sampled in the plugin

Official support for: tx16wx.com

Moderator: elcallio

17hex
KVRer
 
4 posts since 3 Oct, 2008

Postby 17hex; Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:44 am Keyboard-mapping Wavs I just sampled in the plugin

Hi. This seems like a silly question to me, but what is the recommended workflow for Sampling a Wav in the program and then laying it on the keyboard? When I sample in the program, my sample shows up in the list, but the only way I've come up with to then map it in the "keyboard mapper" is to save it, then re-import it in the sample browser. I am obviously missing something simple, and figured I would post this here so it would maybe help someone else who thinks like I do (as scary a thought as that is..). Thanks for making such a wonderful free sampler! TX16wx is EASILY the best free sampler out there!

17hex
elcallio
KVRian
 
916 posts since 27 May, 2005, from Stockholm

Postby elcallio; Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:06 pm

17hex wrote:Hi. This seems like a silly question to me, but what is the recommended workflow for Sampling a Wav in the program and then laying it on the keyboard? When I sample in the program, my sample shows up in the list, but the only way I've come up with to then map it in the "keyboard mapper" is to save it, then re-import it in the sample browser. I am obviously missing something simple, and figured I would post this here so it would maybe help someone else who thinks like I do (as scary a thought as that is..). Thanks for making such a wonderful free sampler! TX16wx is EASILY the best free sampler out there!

17hex


When sampling, the quickest way to lay out new samples is to simply turn on auto keymapping (and if you are sampling tonal values, auto pitch detection). That way, every sample you make will be keymapped into the active group (or create a new).
You can also drag the new sample from the sample list into the key mapper if you want to place it manually. (Drag over the "keyboard mapper" tab to switch tabs while dragging).

But, to repeat, the simplest workflow:

1.) Create a new program
2.) Go to sampler section
3.) Turn on auto keyboard mapping (+ auto pitch detect)
4.) Set the desired key range (this is the range for resulting group, thus if you are multisampling, all the samples)
5.) Either set the sampler to trigger on level, transport or simply start redording manually
6.) Sing/play/whatever
7.) Stop - new sample is now auto mapped into the current/a new group
8.) Go to 5 and repeat for as many multi samples you want to make

9.) Edit start/end/loop/other stuff in the samples

This is explained (a little at least) in the manual and the quick start guide.
Cheers
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/
17hex
KVRer
 
4 posts since 3 Oct, 2008

Postby 17hex; Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:17 pm

elcallio wrote:3.) Turn on auto keyboard mapping (+ auto pitch detect)


DOH! I was using an older version, apparently. I apologize. Sampling to auto-mapped and pitch-detected groups works great now that I am using a version which actually HAS auto-mapping!

I do have one issue though: Using RC3 in Reaper x64 (on Windows 7 Pro 64bit), if I turn on auto-mapping and pitch-detection, then click the X to close the plugin window, it crashes and takes my soundcard driver (and thus, Reaper) with it! Please let me know if I can provide any more info.

thanks

17hex
elcallio
KVRian
 
916 posts since 27 May, 2005, from Stockholm

Postby elcallio; Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:46 pm

17hex wrote:
elcallio wrote:3.) Turn on auto keyboard mapping (+ auto pitch detect)


DOH! I was using an older version, apparently. I apologize. Sampling to auto-mapped and pitch-detected groups works great now that I am using a version which actually HAS auto-mapping!

I do have one issue though: Using RC3 in Reaper x64 (on Windows 7 Pro 64bit), if I turn on auto-mapping and pitch-detection, then click the X to close the plugin window, it crashes and takes my soundcard driver (and thus, Reaper) with it! Please let me know if I can provide any more info.

thanks

17hex


Ok, I can not reproduce anything like this, so any details would be helpful indeed. Does this happen all the time, or once, or occasionally? What does the crash say? (Any info about which module/dll?)
Is listen active? In general, there is nothing about turning on the auto mappers that can crash the plugin (at least not until it starts mapping, and not really then either...)
And I've killed the window again and again in both listening and recording mode. No crash here. Not saying its not TX16Wx's fault, but I am guessing there is something related to different timing or similar with your sound card...

More info please.
Cheers
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/
17hex
KVRer
 
4 posts since 3 Oct, 2008

Postby 17hex; Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:36 pm

elcallio wrote:Ok, I can not reproduce anything like this, so any details would be helpful indeed. Does this happen all the time, or once, or occasionally? What does the crash say? (Any info about which module/dll?)


Sorry for the delay. I am using Reaper 4.261 x64 on Windows 7 64bit, with a M-Audio FastTrack Ultra (driver version 5.10.0.5100)at 44.1 khz (256 sample buffer). I have now reproduced this a bunch of times and gotten down to this exact series of steps:

1. open reaper
2. right-click -> Virtual Instrument on New Track
3. Double-click TX16wx
4. Click "Yes"
5. Click "Sample Editor"
6. Click "Input Trigger"
7. Click the "x" on TX16wx
8. Get a crash followed by this crashlog:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: reaper.exe
Application Version: 4.2.6.1
Application Timestamp: 5033f357
Fault Module Name: TX16Wx.dll
Fault Module Version: 2.0.1316.415
Fault Module Timestamp: 50a0c71f
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000214754
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 85b4
Additional Information 2: 85b406285439cd6350b5f83ccedf562f
Additional Information 3: 56ce
Additional Information 4: 56cefe8d6e11588e649d1043612fa6bb

I hope this helps track down the bug!!

thanks!

17hex

EDIT: I just tried it at 48khz and got the same thing. I hope it helps.
elcallio
KVRian
 
916 posts since 27 May, 2005, from Stockholm

Postby elcallio; Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:37 pm

Thanks. That did it. Reproduced and fixed.
I am bypassing all standard procedures for releases now, but I've updated the RC3 with this fix. Please re-download and verify (version 2,0,1317,417 (x64) and 2,0,1317,418 (Win32)).

Cheers
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/
17hex
KVRer
 
4 posts since 3 Oct, 2008

Postby 17hex; Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:54 am

elcallio wrote:Thanks. That did it. Reproduced and fixed.
I am bypassing all standard procedures for releases now, but I've updated the RC3 with this fix. Please re-download and verify (version 2,0,1317,417 (x64) and 2,0,1317,418 (Win32)).


Wow that was impressively fast. I haven't had tons of time yet (job+kids=no time) but I can confirm that it doesn't crash anymore in Reaper x64! Nice work! As a seasoned (read: "salty") System Administrator, I can only dream of all application developers being as responsive as you are.

Thanks again for making such a USEFUL sampler. You've given my old synthesizers a new life!

17hex

Moderator: elcallio

Return to CWITEC