Zebra program change

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I just got Zebra but can't get it to accept program changes from Behringer 2000 controller or axiom 25. Windows 7, Cubase 6.5.
I'd like to be able to program change like keyswitching. With buttons on the Behringer.

Appreciate any help.

Tony

Hi Tony,
program changes messages only switch between presets in the "MIDI Programs" subfolder. It's best to name the presets you want to switch between something like 000-name.h2p -> 127-name.h2p so you know the order the presets will be loaded.

If you are just looking for a way to scroll through presets while auditioning them try the keyboard arrows. It works in some DAWs.

Also, MIDI Program Changes only work for presets that are in MIDI Programs at the time the host was started. That's because Zebra caches those programs in memory on first load. It needs to do so because one can't access the file system upon a MIDI message.

Hence, whenever you add/store/drag presets into teh MIDI Programs folder, don't forget to reload :)

(side note - we just started designing a concept that allows users to rescan the MIDI Programs folder on the fly... finally :oops: )

Hi bmrcycki,
Thanks for responding. Yes that's what I'm doing but not working.. Do u have to putt the program change number in front of the preset?
Thanks,
Tony

Urs wrote:Also, MIDI Program Changes only work for presets that are in MIDI Programs at the time the host was started. That's because Zebra caches those programs in memory on first load. It needs to do so because one can't access the file system upon a MIDI message.

Hence, whenever you add/store/drag presets into teh MIDI Programs folder, don't forget to reload :)

(side note - we just started designing a concept that allows users to rescan the MIDI Programs folder on the fly... finally :oops: )

Any possibility of adding support for Bank Select messages to select subfolders within MIDI Programs folder? Or how does this work when you have subfolders AND more than 128 programs in MIDI Programs folder?

EvilDragon wrote:
Urs wrote:Also, MIDI Program Changes only work for presets that are in MIDI Programs at the time the host was started. That's because Zebra caches those programs in memory on first load. It needs to do so because one can't access the file system upon a MIDI message.

Any possibility of adding support for Bank Select messages to select subfolders within MIDI Programs folder? Or how does this work when you have subfolders AND more than 128 programs in MIDI Programs folder?
It's been like that for a while... bank 0 is the MIDI Programs folder itself, other bank selects switch to subsequent folders.

It only responds to CC#0 though, and it doesn't just switch the preset, just the bank for the next program change.

tdavilio wrote:Hi bmrzycki,
Thanks for responding. Yes that's what I'm doing but not working.. Do u have to putt the program change number in front of the preset?
Thanks,
Tony
Hi Tony, no you don't. I just recommended that so you know the order the presets are loaded. If it's still not working make sure:

1. you have multiple presets in the midi programs folder BEFORE you open Zebra. They are cached on start.
2. Make sure program change messages are getting to Zebra -- usually a midi logging tool will help you discover this.

Okay Thanks guys!

Tony

Urs wrote:It only responds to CC#0 though, and it doesn't just switch the preset, just the bank for the next program change.
Clever. So we get 128 * 128 = 16384 presets instantly switchable. Cool!

I know this is digging pretty deep, but I still cannot find a solution to controlling U-he synth presets like I can with my other favourite vsts (xils-lab, arturia, novation etc) all have the MIDI program change and bank change implemented in their vsts, it's quite frustrating to be switching between tools with feature sets lacking on only the most useful ones... Please can we have preset change implemented into MIDI control!

What seems to be the problem?

It's working here - having folders with .h2p presets in MIDI Programs then switching between the folders with Bank Select (CC #0) and Program Change. All good.

What you just said makes little sense to me sorry, which folder.. MIDI programs?

I'm switching banks and presets with my remoteSL in ableton Live. It works for most other Vsts, just not u-he ones, and a select few others..

also, changing patches on my bass station 2 sending midi to my xils lab poly KB for instance, it changes the patches on the vst, amazing! If you say you can do this on zebra, is having preset folders the answer because I have those too, is there a special place they need to reside on my hard drive?

In the patch browser you should see a folder called MIDI Programs. This is where you're supposed to put patches you want to switch by using Bank Select/Program Change. It's been nicely described in the manual...

Yep, but the MIDI Programs (and banks) need to be present at the program start. They are then loaded into memory up front to allow for immediate access.

(loading a file form the hard drive isn't possible upon a MIDI command. It either crashes or loading will be delayed)

Return to “u-he”