iZotope Iris

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TwoToneshuzz wrote:Lfo tool combined with Iris as it is now basically blows the lid of the limitations of the program.

Consider having to instances of Iris load with six identical samples in each of the slots then modulating the heck of of each to get different spectral thinks happening with different pan curvers pitch bends, frequency savy compression effects and you probably will never get to the bottom of whats possible with just a few well chosen samples with braod spectral content.

I have Numerology that can pretty well do the same so right now I'm working with a bout twelve Lfo's modulating various parameters, like pan Lfo amount and speed. On one Instance of Iris.

But again all this modulation is more post production on an almost finished sound materiel. The core activity in Iris is getting good material to work worth and the Sonogram painting..

Sonogram painting can actually also be used to create pseudo Lfo's directly.
I admire your enthusiasm TwoToneshuzz, but modulating the pan LFO would hardly be considered blowing the lid off the limitations of Iris. I dug it out again after these posts and IMO the limitations remain, and painfully so.

I was hoping that maybe the sample start points, sample offset or loop points were accessible to external modulation. That would have fixed some of the limitations, but they are not available, which in my book is an even less excusable omission than not allowing their modulation directly in the VST (besides, amp, pitch or pan? I mean why did they even bother?).

It's all good though, Iris does what it does, but you mentioned not having any other spectral tools at this point, I really suggest you try some of them. Although if you're so blown away by the spectral possibilities of Iris already, this recommendation may not be entirely safe. :D

wasi wrote:
I admire your enthusiasm TwoToneshuzz, but modulating the pan LFO would hardly be considered blowing the lid off the limitations of Iris. I dug it out again after these posts and IMO the limitations remain, and painfully so.

I was hoping that maybe the sample start points, sample offset or loop points were accessible to external modulation. That would have fixed some of the limitations, but they are not available, which in my book is an even less excusable omission than not allowing their modulation directly in the VST (besides, amp, pitch or pan? I mean why did they even bother?).

It's all good though, Iris does what it does, but you mentioned not having any other spectral tools at this point, I really suggest you try some of them. Although if you're so blown away by the spectral possibilities of Iris already, this recommendation may not be entirely safe. :D
No I would say some limitations like the limit of one Lfo per voice are blown away. But you miss my point about using the 2 instances with 6 identical samples. Here you could move your sample's loop start and end points from the six samples to gain access to 6 possible loop positions..Then use the Gain parameter to switch them off and on as needed

I too look for this loop start and end point in the parameter choice exposed to the host. Although I'm not a super sampler wizard, If I have a interest in reaching a specific function I can as in the above example usually get where I am going.

It's nice though workng with as many Lfo's as I want to access the parameters that are there.. Effects, Lfos routed to Amplitude pitch pan. Sample Gain, tuning, it really does make it seem alot more fleshed out.

Again your specific desire at present isn't met, so I'll give a warm vote for the Sample start loop point modulation..

As a vocal owner I'll send them a request NOW!
waves break, but somehow it all makes sense.

@Wasi

I'd just like to add on further reflection. I speculate that because of the way you can have selections define the start and end points of a Loop this one functionally could case certain difficulties if your modulated loop points cross selection boundries. Then this modus will cause a break in the logic resulting in a crash perhaps. This may have had a bearing on why this otherwise ubiquitous funtionality was left out.

But still getting back to your main issue the main meat of the Iris is the Sonogram painting. exactly this would be extremely difficult to modulate. I suppose there could be a nudge selections parameter so all selections get shifted but I wonder how useful that would be.

It boils down to the visual way of working with the iris. Once you begin modulating the spectral selections you basically flying blind once again. Then there's plenty of tools that Don't use visual sonogram painting that fill the bill. Like U-he Filterscape has modulations galore but there's not this visual input from the interface. Thus you could concievbly setup a few hardware controls and work with it blindfolded.

So if we follow the logic of my previous post. Just a thought why bother spending time developing the Iris with addition modulating matrixes that aren't relavent to the core activity of the user when working with Iris.

It is with the selections where interesting ways to create variations through modulations can be implemented.

Selection Modulation parameter list:

expand selection area by n pixels

contract selection area by n pixels

nudge selection forward in time by n pixels

nudge selection backward in time by n pixels

nudge selection upwards in frequency

nudge selection downwards in frequency

invert selection

invert frequency

invert time

Crossfade time would be a helpful additional non selection parameter that probably should be included to be used in tandem with the above selection modulations.

A group selections tool could be useful so you could choose to direct your modulations to a specific frequency range or time slice. Say four or eight different selections groups. Then the modulation source would read like nudge selection group 2, by 40 pixels...

Now because loop points for a sample can be set to "loop points follow selection boundries" you have a way to achieve loop point variation by making the selections modulation destinations. This might need an addition tweek like expand/nudge/contract selection boundries without moving the individual selection areas.. This will respect your edits but allow variations in Loop start and end points.

So the concept here is that we use modulations to extend the Sonogram selecting work that we are doing, instead of enhancing the core sonogram manipulated material with post production treatments, as is the case with the present versions usage of the Lfo's and envelopes, filters, and effects.

To extend the discussion here I suppose many of these post selection sweetening of the output could be done using other high end tools. Like any effects suite, that many users already own. Here it would be a boon for users that need these extra tweaks to their Iris core sound to have acces to a 4 four channel mixer where individual sounds or submixes of the four sounds could be sent out seperate outputs.
Last edited by TwoToneshuzz on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Now at it I may as well go in fantasy modus.

How about filter effects that could be applied to selections, like ripple, gausian blur, scratch, Lfo to sound file, texturize, blend edges, sharpen and such.

Just so I'm getting this. None of what you describe above is currently possible with Iris, neither internally nor externally, right? Because if it is, I haven't found it, but I will certainly shut up about limitations.

I see a mind blowing 165 externally available parameters but none of them pertain to selections or sample playback. In fact, the only ones that reference the samples at all are the old pitch, pan and gain.

But if you're saying Iris needs all this, man, let's go have a beer, because it appears we agree. :D

wasi wrote:Just so I'm getting this. None of what you describe above is currently possible with Iris, neither internally nor externally, right? Because if it is, I haven't found it, but I will certainly shut up about limitations.

I see a mind blowing 165 externally available parameters but none of them pertain to selections or sample playback. In fact, the only ones that reference the samples at all are the old pitch, pan and gain.

But if you're saying Iris needs all this, man, let's go have a beer, because it appears we agree. :D
Strangely for one that is suppose to just love Iris as it is I've just trying out ideas on for size.

No none of this selecting tweeks and individual outputs, selection filter mask are implemented. This is the Sunday wild speculative feature suggestion list. But just a start brainstorm..

I just want start my feature list to build on the functionality of Iris as it is unique and interesting and not just port ideas in from other interfaces that are unrelated to the tasks the we work on in Iris..

Once these core things are going then there's much to study in the other offerings for this type of functionality before I can say anything relevant at all. Perhaps one needs to look at meta synth, Padshop Pro, and Harmor.

At present though if you want to modulate say 30 parameter destinations as Iris is now. I can assure two things:

Your sounds will be more alive

You will be spending immense amount of time setting up and tweaking your modulations. I know that's what I'm doing this weekend.

Ya beer would be good right about now!1 :wink:
Last edited by TwoToneshuzz on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Track using Iris.

Patchpool sounds plus addtition instrument sounds from Toys, Voice, Lead and Experimental sound sets.

Mondays Are For Fuzzy Logic

https://www.box.com/s/5cy8yyy9zo92t7qbtkv3

oh, look. ideas for new features. how negative.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Great tool.....

everything is awesome and no one is happy.

dayjob wrote:everything is awesome and no one is happy.
Yep!! :D http://www.boreme.com/posting.php?id=21488

I'm happy I'm happy already! It's just that somebody twisted my arm about coming with ideas. He was big had bad breath I said yes...

But note I was the guy sticking up for Iris as it was. Thinking all this talk about it's limitations can't be right.

I read through this whole thread over several days a few weeks ago.

Guess what NO One suggested making the selections into modulation destinations...

This would take Iris as it is and make it more powerful with out adding any other synthesis bells and whitles..

Imaging making your selections grow out of nothing to reveal at speed of your choosing what your ideas are. I'm sure though that something similiar may happen in other synths, just not with a sonogram painting.

:roll: :) :shock: :lol:

TwoToneshuzz wrote:Imaging making your selections grow out of nothing to reveal at speed of your choosing what your ideas are. I'm sure though that something similiar may happen in other synths...
It's called: "Symplant".

:wink:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

TwoToneshuzz wrote:
I'm happy I'm happy already!
i wasn't speaking to you specifically.. just in general about everything. but it's all relative i guess.

TwoToneshuzz wrote:Guess what NO One suggested making the selections into modulation destinations...
i'm all for that.. actually.. i'm all for everything being a mod destination/source. let's live on the edge.

Return to “Instruments”