First Piano Sonata released by me

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tell me what you guys think about this track!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuuA6lyp ... e=youtu.be

Personally, to me it sounds too stiff, too mechanical. Too quantized perhaps? No real feeling or passion to it. The notes over the chords are not expressive or thematic, just kind of noodling. The chords themselves can't breath, they are muddy and kind of plodding; are not really integrated with the lead notes and there are very little dynamics over-all either in volume, tempo, voicing, etc. No tension and release in the harmonies or melody. No drama.

Sorry to be harsh but you asked and it is just my opinion. And not so I am just a bunch of blather, here is a piece I wrote that I think demonstrates some of what I am saying:

http://soundcloud.com/bobbotov/mood-strikes

maybe humanize all of those block chords just a tad.

also, it looks/sounds like you have all block chords on the one hand, and single notes on the other. maybe mix this up.

as it is it sounds ok, but i kind of get what bobbotov is saying as well.

the first thing from my perspective would be a slight humanization of the notes making up the block chords. if you've already done a bit of that; try a little bit more. experiment with randomizing both the timing, and the volume of the separate notes.

after listening to bobbotov's piece here; i'd say give that a listen. it will give you some ideas for expanding your own piece. both of them sound like 'modern urban' to these ears; but bobbotov's is the 'expert piece' of the two.

anyway, it sounds like you've got a decent start; maybe you just need to keep working at it.

Thanks for the comments guys, I cant listen to Bobbotov's track cuz of internet right now. i do know what you mean bout humanizing the chords, theyr all the same velocity. I did purchase Pianos from EastWest and Galaxy Instruments so Ill give those a try when I get them through the mail. Who knows Ill maybe redo this track with the EastWest piano.

Return to “Music Cafe”