Steinberg's Countdown, Nuendo 6 AND Cubase 7!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Someone on Gearslutz said that Guitar Center is expecting Cubase 7 on the shelves December 5. So maybe they are finally simultaneously launching both.

I REALLY hope they update the Notation. now that they have the sibelius workers on board.

If I were Steiny I'd be hooking up with Slate to get a version of VCC built into the mixer!
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

memyselfandus wrote:I REALLY hope they update the Notation. now that they have the sibelius workers on board.
... and as I long time Cubase and Sibelius user (and happy with both products), I really hope they keep them seperate.

Maybe even get rid of the notation-feature of cubase alltogether (which hasn't really changed since the atari days). Being able to printout some notes comes in handy once in a while in the studio, but a full score editor isn't really necessary in a DAW. Even more so when it's as clumsy as Cubase's. Just a basic note-view with print feature would suffice.

JorgV wrote:
memyselfandus wrote:I REALLY hope they update the Notation. now that they have the sibelius workers on board.
... and as I long time Cubase and Sibelius user (and happy with both products), I really hope they keep them seperate.

Maybe even get rid of the notation-feature of cubase alltogether (which hasn't really changed since the atari days). Being able to printout some notes comes in handy once in a while in the studio, but a full score editor isn't really necessary in a DAW. Even more so when it's as clumsy as Cubase's. Just a basic note-view with print feature would suffice.
LOL

On second thoughts put their VCM to use and do their own model of a Neve console, bundle portico plug-ins, better yet build them into the mixer and Rupert's your uncle a virtual Neve set-up in your Daw.

Who wouldn't want that?
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Agreed that they could build virtual console emulation right into Cubase. That is something I've asked for in the Steinberg user forums. I actually asked for them to come up with a new "console emu plugin format". Some said "that's just VST, just add VCC or NLS" but I think that if done right a virtual console is more than just adding color to the channels and busses, but actually changing how the console does summing.

In addition to that I'd love a more flexible plugin chain for every track. Sometimes I really do have more than 6 pre-fader inserts. I'd also like to parallel process and control wet-dry of a plugin without dealing with sends (which many plugins don't let you do as inserts).

And I'd like Reaper's "anticipative FX processing" where it "virtually freezes" tracks in the background when the CPU is idle to lower overall CPU load. I think that would be better than making freeze tracks work better, which would be my alternate request. (This is the one thing I like about Reaper that I wish Cubase had.)

It would be cool if variaudio got multitimberal editing, too.

lightsfadelow wrote:Someone on Gearslutz said that Guitar Center is expecting Cubase 7 on the shelves December 5. So maybe they are finally simultaneously launching both.
That would make a lot of sense !

It would be great to see both Nuendo 6, and Cubase 7 released simultaneously, plus... Steinberg would not need a second countdown :hihi:

Maybe bitwig and Ableton9 announcement pushed Steinberg decision to release or announce new product faster then expected?

lightsfadelow wrote:Agreed that they could build virtual console emulation right into Cubase. That is something I've asked for in the Steinberg user forums. I actually asked for them to come up with a new "console emu plugin format". Some said "that's just VST, just add VCC or NLS" but I think that if done right a virtual console is more than just adding color to the channels and busses, but actually changing how the console does summing.

In addition to that I'd love a more flexible plugin chain for every track. Sometimes I really do have more than 6 pre-fader inserts. I'd also like to parallel process and control wet-dry of a plugin without dealing with sends (which many plugins don't let you do as inserts).

And I'd like Reaper's "anticipative FX processing" where it "virtually freezes" tracks in the background when the CPU is idle to lower overall CPU load. I think that would be better than making freeze tracks work better, which would be my alternate request. (This is the one thing I like about Reaper that I wish Cubase had.)

It would be cool if variaudio got multitimberal editing, too.
I didn't know Reaper did that. DP is supposed to do that as well. Very good use of time.

I had another idea, some mixers have a compressor built into the channel, I'd like a general GUI which has a variable amount of controls depending on the plug-in it loads. It can load 4 or 5 compressor plug-ins of your choice, which you could switch between with some buttons. That way every channel has 5 compressors of your choice waiting to be activated with one button.

Another cool feature for me would be a default side-chain input. That is you set which channel is the default for side-chain input, such as a kick track, and then whenever you activate side-chain on anything it automatically has an input from that channel. No need to set it up.
Aiynzahev-sounds

Aiynzahev wrote:If I were Steiny I'd be hooking up with Slate to get a version of VCC built into the mixer!
If I were Steinberg, I would NOT do that. This kills the possibility to use the host as plain tape machine without colored sound.

I hate Harrison Mixbus for that. If Steinberg goes that route so that it's "hardcoded", I will ditch Cubase.

Steinberg should focus on what's more important:
VST2.4 with native sidechaining
Fixing the darn listing of VST3 plugins
Creating a better system for dual/tripple screen users, and I do want my "window arrange" mode back
Maybe finally include the harmonic EQ from both Wavelab and Nuendo
create a better routing system for channels, or include a native modular environment, complete with containers
unlock the channel ammount beyond 5.1 (for Cubase)
Finally drop that stereo locked "instrument" channel
built in OS wrappers and Bridge wrappers
GUI skinning!

Everything else is not important IMO.

Aiynzahev wrote:On second thoughts put their VCM to use and do their own model of a Neve console, bundle portico plug-ins, better yet build them into the mixer and Rupert's your uncle a virtual Neve set-up in your Daw.

Who wouldn't want that?
Again, I would not. Rupert Neve or not, I want a clean and flexible host. As engineer, I decide what is added and what not. This is the main reason I did NOT use Propellerheads RECORD and I hate HARRISON Mixbus (buggy, CPU hungry, expensive dot upgrades).

lightsfadelow wrote:Someone on Gearslutz said that Guitar Center is expecting Cubase 7 on the shelves December 5. So maybe they are finally simultaneously launching both.
Proof from Guitar Center? They were often wrong. But then again - wouldn't surprise me as I already expected a major upgrade by NAMM 2013 (Januaray).

Oh and... Cubase has a built in routine, that if no signal is applied to the channel strip (meaning, no events playing), it saves on CPU power. Dunno off hand how that feature is called.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

6.5 Is just out right? I would guess it's Nuendo 6.

On the VCC thing its quiet obvious, just build something in but if they are smart do it as an option, so that you can decide to use it or not.

About the windowing thing, yeah, that would be awesome. Also some better effects and some 2.4 sidechaining indeed.

And make the automation easier and make it easy to use the MidiLFO plugin for a parameter on a VST. Now it's only doing midi cc and not every VST has this implemented.

And if this all is in Nuendo, Cubase will follow soon or vice versa.

Compy: I agree it would be madness to add console emulation and not let engineers choose NOT to use the emulation.

What Reaper does that Cubase doesn't do is literally freeze the effects to the channel when the CPU is idle and then detect when there's a change to the track and re-freeze it again. If you're changing things while playing, it will do the same realtime effects processing that every other DAW does. So it's seamless savings of CPU. That's a whole lot different than suspending processing when there's no audio on the track.

1!

0.5 :P

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”