How should I connect my mixer with mics, monitors and sub?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm having a little trouble understanding how I should hook up everything here, I just recently bought some new equipment and it's a bit over my head.

[b]First what hardware I got here:[/b]
PC with ESI Maya44 xte
Behringer X1204USB (mixer where I'm not using the usb)
ESI nEar08 monitors (with XLR inputs)
Samsons subwoofer (with RCA inputs)
Shure SM57 microphone
Audiotechnica Headphones
i also have a small Mackie mixer (402-VLZ3) which I didnt think I needed first

I understand the Maya44 outs go in to Line In 5/6 on the mixer.
Right now the main out xlr's go to the monitors.

Now, I wanna send the audio to the subwoofer, AND be able to adjust the level so I don't have to crawl on the floor everytime. How do I hook this up?

Plus, I want the mic to go in to computer VIA the mixer. This is one of the parts I just don't get, I'm guessing its the sends/returns involved, but how? I don't want the "raw" mic signal to go to the main outs, I just want it to the Maya inputs...

On top of this, I want to be able to use the headphones. Right now I have the subwoofer connected to "Control room outs", which is fine, but this way, when I turn the ctrl room knob I not only raise the subwoofer level, its the same knob for headphones out.

PLEASE HELP, I'm really at a loss, I have bought equipment I dont know how to handle hehe...

Didn't your subwoofer come with instructions?

http://homerecording.com/bbs/equipment- ... rs-156429/
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

Of course it did, and I know I can route the main outs to the monitors via the sub, but this way I cannot adjust the subwoofer level without crawling down under the table here. This is one of my problems.

ahuru wrote:Now, I wanna send the audio to the subwoofer, AND be able to adjust the level so I don't have to crawl on the floor everytime. How do I hook this up?
I think the easiest way is to use the Aux Send bus for the subwoofer. Set the send level to the same position (12 o'clock or 0dB is recommended) on each channel. Then you have its level under one knob.
I thought about using the Control Room output for it, but that has the drawback that then the headphones output level is linked with your subwoofer level, as you already found out.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Thanks BertKoor, I will definitely try that!

Another question, which I cant find the answer to in the manual,
why do I have to SOLO the line in channel from the computer
to see any activity on the level meter/leds? I just cannot understand
why this is. Without solo'ing it, the meter is dead. Something wrong
with this board?

Without SOLOing the meter usually shows the level of the main output. If the volume knob on your monitors is set full blast, you have to compensate by lowering the master fader considerably. Then the level is too low to show up on the meters. The lowest led is usually at about -20dB on such mixers.

And this is also a sign that you can improve the gain staging a bit: set volume on the monitors lower and raise the master fader. That should give a better Signal/Noise ratio, result in less background noise.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”