Thrillseeker XTC (DC 2012 winner)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ThrillseekerXTC

I actually recommended this through the use of a back panel, but I think it was simpler to create another version (tuned) instead for the time being.

Maybe this will happen in a future update, or future updates of the rest of VoS's plugin roster as well. So far it's the first that is offering a -18dBFS version.

We just have to wait and see.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:According to tests, wrapping should work flawlessly.
They work fine in REAPER 64 bit.

remi77 wrote:A question for Bootsie or his "Core" team.

I'm not a developer (since I finished school...) but while these 2 color 7MB plugins are exactly the same except the input work level, wouldn't it have been more simple to add a transparent input gain knob as a first stage into a single plugin?

Not that having 2x7MB dll files in my VST folder bothers me :) but I'm curious.
This is a guess but when I was thinking about the same question, I concluded maybe he tweaked the algo enough that he wanted to separate them into two distinct plug-ins so people would be more likely to remember to use them in distinct situations.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

realmarco wrote:Make a Mac version or DIEEEEE !!!!!

Manners Sir, Manners. They cost not a penny

A.M. Gold wrote:I'm not totally sure what this is doing, but I think I like it.

:hihi: :tu:
+1

Just slapped it on a solo piano mix. First the blue -- for the life of me didn't hear any difference, using any preset. Then the black, with the "bring back mojo" preset. "Hmmm... that's really nice". Only subtly different, but noticably better. Then tried the other presets. Now I can't bear to listen to it dry, or without the "mojo" preset... blast you, Bootsie!

As far as magic soundgooderizers go, this one's pretty nice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tDj_Van ... uNbgY-4qFK

I'm not the Messiah. I'm not the Messiah!

This sounds great. I'm using it too add some body and hi frequency sparkle to my mixes. One thing I would request is to make the color of the VU meter screws white with a black line to make adjustments easier. The screws could also be a little larger.

Since you only set them up once per "preset", I think it's fine.

Just remember: far left (counter clockwise) position: 300ms non weighted, locked (the default setting): 400ms k-weighted.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Hello,

ThrillseekerXTC won my 5pts!

Its efficiency in the Low Freqs is really amazing, subtle and very musical. The 2 other bands are also very good.
I found the Drive very good at lowest setting (obviously with adapted input level), but pushed higher it tends to tame the dynamics in an 50y-old way, so you may apply it only on some specific tracks but not on all nor on mastering. But don't get me wrong, the drive can be applied anywhere when set at reasonable level. It realy does its job.
Whether on bass, kick, snare, voice, guitar or on master bus, for little EQ and harmonic enhancement, it does wonders. Also seems very stable.
Thanks Bootsie.

Dean Aka Nekro wrote:Image
realmarco wrote:Make a Mac version or DIEEEEE !!!!!

Manners Sir, Manners. They cost not a penny
He is French Canadian, what do you expect. They wear their opinion as fact from head to toe, and let it be known whether they say it, look at you, or fart :hihi: Exceptions go to Alain (Lepou) or any other kind generous humble French Canadians that aren't as smug and rude as 'realmarco'

very nice...in my top five FOR SURE!

upside: it looks nice

downside: i was disappointed due to the extreme subtleness of the effect. same with ferric, way too subtle. both leave me with a "what did it do?" feeling.

sort of like getting a fashion model home who's not that great in bed kind of feeling. but theres a lot of folks that can get off that way, so...

to some folks, less is more, so the opposite of what i said might be true for them.

metalifuxx wrote:He is French Canadian, what do you expect. They wear their opinion as fact from head to toe, and let it be known whether they say it, look at you, or fart :hihi: Exceptions go to Alain (Lepou) or any other kind generous humble French Canadians that aren't as smug and rude as 'realmarco'
:hihi: Well the only other's I've met are the no defunct guys (and a girl) that were Despised Icon and the guys from Kataklysm, All really pleasent and damned great also mate FWIW. Alain seems a really sound dude also :) I'll bet he ain't all bad in person but just gets the powers of any keyboard warrior worth their salt sat behind a MAC :shrug:

Cheers and all the best your way over the atlantic :tu:

Dean

I think this will all change anyway, as soon as Apple drops the Intel Chip. *cough* But let's not go there.

So yeah - how are you people using it?
Individual channel, or full spectrum mix as "exciter"?

overhishead wrote:upside: it looks nice

downside: i was disappointed due to the extreme subtleness of the effect. same with ferric, way too subtle. both leave me with a "what did it do?" feeling.

sort of like getting a fashion model home who's not that great in bed kind of feeling. but theres a lot of folks that can get off that way, so...

to some folks, less is more, so the opposite of what i said might be true for them.
Extreme subtleness?? Yo've go
tta be joking? This i VERY noticeable effect??!! what are your average recording,samples,synth levels? -50db?

Depends, the saturation effect can be subtle. Also depending on the used plugn version of course. So if you run a -18dBFS (RMS) signal through the Blue version (0dBFS worklevel), then you barely notice anything of course.

But even with an ideal worklevel and the correct plugin used (example again: -18dBFS/RMS with the Black version), and "underdriven" signals - this tool can be subtle.

If you crank up the EQ sans the saturation however, and also at the right frequencies - it's definitely an in your face sounding plugin. But still more subtle compared to conventional EQing.

Return to “Effects”