One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

satYatunes wrote:
angelremington wrote:can also load and play any SoundFont.
This, my friend will be a problem.
it shouldn't be, we'll restrict it to stock sounds only same way we do with other insttuments no third party commercial or whatever as long it is same for everybody i don't see where the ptoblem is... everybody is equal... simple and fun

This is fantastic opportunity that gives a chance to every single person on the planet you get a free daw and a free instrument that is the easiest to use from all you can just concentrate on creativity and make music i do not see why anyone would have a problem with that

Is it locked to S1? What I mean is, can it be used in other DAWs?
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Beautiful UI and skins for VST plugins.
Website | Portfolio

satYatunes wrote:Is it locked to S1? What I mean is, can it be used in other DAWs?
I am not sure and I can't check now as I am @ work, but I'll check when I get home, but even if it is not it shouldn't matter as you get the Studio One Free and it comes with it standard, and is absolutely available to anyone no serial numbers or anything... just go to presonus website and check it out :)

it runs on any old bomb of a computer too, my laptop is only an IBM T60 with intel dual core @1.83ghz and 2.5gb ram...

Well... you can think of the whole think as a standalone synth that happens to have a nice sequencer and other tools.

See what you think,

regards,

It's a bit like with Alchemy now that samples are not really part of a synth challenge, and to be honest should we ever use samples in a synth it should have been with that.

But next 3-4 month synths already mapped out. Hopefully KVR Developer Challenge might produce some candidates too. As usual cross platform synths gets priority.

By the way, sent off a request to SoundCloud about a voting/sorting app for groups, fingers crossed.

What do you think to have a try with Largo from Waldorf?
I have seen on Waldorf website, 30-days evaluation licensie is available, after registering.
This VST is for PC and MAC. The only issue is to install elicenser.

I don't know about you guys, but in general I'm not too excited about doing too many OSCs with time limited demo synths. One of the benefits I see about participating in an OSC is that I get to learn in depth about a particular synth, which I hope to continue using in the future. After investing a lot of time learning the intricacies of a synth, designing sounds for it, etc, it is a bit of a put off to lose access to it when the competition ends unless I buy the synth. I don't mind the occasional demo synth, but if we do too many of them I will probably participate less.

adagiocm wrote:I don't know about you guys, but in general I'm not too excited about doing too many OSCs with time limited demo synths. One of the benefits I see about participating in an OSC is that I get to learn in depth about a particular synth, which I hope to continue using in the future. After investing a lot of time learning the intricacies of a synth, designing sounds for it, etc, it is a bit of a put off to lose access to it when the competition ends unless I buy the synth. I don't mind the occasional demo synth, but if we do too many of them I will probably participate less.
It's quite hard to use all these synthesizers in the future. My way is to take one, the most flexible synthesizer and transfer all sounds I learned in other synthesizers, this is much simpler (after few years you know very well one synthesizer, but you know him very very good).
But the time issue is still confusing, I think. I found out, I need two months to create any track for OSC. That's why I proposed to inform community about choosen vst 2 months before deadline. This fact is not in collision with monthly deadline for one vst. Additionaly it's your chose, you do a track monthly and win every month, or you miss one deadline to finish your track for second month. This is fair until you have a chose.
Morover two months you can use to learn vst synthesizer more deeply, you may upgrade your another skills like mastering, mixing, composition etc, and you are still in game.

Overwise, it doesn't matter if we use 30 days trials or not.

Best regards,

Largo would be really great to use, but it seems certain that a lot of people will not want the elicenser drivers installed on their operating system..

But interesting points about using demos and also the competition time limit. In my mind using a demo of a top flight synth would be preferable to a lesser free one, the attendance of previous competitions when these were used like Diva and Z3ta proved it was very popular, but see your point Adagiocm. But usable demo synths are very far and few between so will only happen once in a while anyway.

The 1 month time limit is to make it fair for all, but let's vote on this in the next rules poll.

FL 10 is not seeing TripleCheese as it should. I did the F10/files and pointed it right at the dll and when I try to use an instance of it, it labels it as a Sampler and never displays the interface and no sounds. What am I doing wrong? (To test, it opens fine in energyXT 2.6)

Unrelated note... I was playing around with the DC12 synth entries. Has anyone else tried them yet?

I'm pretty impressed so far with this one:
Kamioooka - a modular synth with a big sound (http://www.kvraudio.com/product/kamioooka-by-g200kg)

Some of the others synths have decent features and sounds; some nice FX plugins to be had, too. Any favorites yet?

Also, there's a nice 5-to-1-point voting system in place, same as the OSC; what say there's any chance to hijack it for OSC entry posting and voting?

Robert West wrote:FL 10 is not seeing TripleCheese as it should. I did the F10/files and pointed it right at the dll and when I try to use an instance of it, it labels it as a Sampler and never displays the interface and no sounds. What am I doing wrong? (To test, it opens fine in energyXT 2.6)
NM, I got it-- a little more round-about than it shoulda been, imnsho. Now for some fondu fun!

Kamiooka seems very interesting indeed, have you all tested it for stability? CPU usage seems very good but can't really say about the sound as I'm unfortunately partially deaf with weird pitch and delay issues after massive ear infections following a particularly bad flu. It's also just Windows only, but sooner or later we will run out of cross platform synths anyway so could put this on the shortlist anyway.

The voting thing where people could enter with clicks etc we already have with Google documents, but people prefer to vote in forum posts as previous rules polls have shown where the click-to-vote thing has been rejected twice already.

V'ger wrote:Kamiooka seems very interesting indeed, have you all tested it for stability? CPU usage seems very good but can't really say about the sound ...
My humble opinion, it sounds really good but I've not put it through the ringer for drum sounds and such, just a quick flip through many of the presets.
V'ger wrote:polls have shown where the click-to-vote thing has been rejected twice already.
Hmm, for me, this is because it's an external site... though allowing a click-to-vote would almost assuredly lead to fewer "reviews" during vote posts, which would be unfortunate.

z.prime wrote:Unrelated note... I was playing around with the DC12 synth entries. Has anyone else tried them yet?

Some of the others synths have decent features and sounds; some nice FX plugins to be had, too. Any favorites yet?

Also, there's a nice 5-to-1-point voting system in place, same as the OSC; what say there's any chance to hijack it for OSC entry posting and voting?
I tried everything too.
I liked the sound out of Hydi and Poly 2106, but both are CPU intensive.
So my votes will go for soundpacks and plugins, especially these last.

Have a nice day :)

IrionDaRonin wrote:
I tried everything too.
I liked the sound out of Hydi and Poly 2106, but both are CPU intensive.

Thanks for liking HYDi's sound! A big chuck of the CPU use - goes towards the filters, and also a little bit - goes towards me and my obsessive compulsive disorder to constantly "tune" things :wink: . But the CPU use - might be a bit misleading - on my i5 Quad @ 3.1GHz.

1x instance: ~6% CPU.
10x instances: ~16% CPU. (using various effects across instances)

Version1.2 is now available btw.

Return to “Instruments”