Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tricky-Loops wrote:
VitaminD wrote:
Tricky-Loops wrote:So it seems to be safer to do shopping online... :hihi:
Quite.

(Some) People get crazy when 'black friday' deals come around... and by crazy... I truly mean.. crazy. insane. unable to reason through logic.

Over here (USA).. it is not uncommon to see people in a line the evening before a store will open the next morning.. in the cold...

Some do it to save money or afford something they couldn't otherwise. Some do it just for the experience. Others so they can resell these discounted items for a profit on ebay or craigslist.

Roads around shopping districts are clogged with traffic.. lots of thieves busting car windows and taking items.. etc

It is really a greedy, selfish, scary time in that aspect.. because, as mentioned above, some will do ANYTHING to get a limited stock item on sale. :-o Check youtube if you want to see some of it.. it can get pretty sick though.. just watching people swarm like flies on a body.

I did all of my Christmas gift shopping online last year. every single bit of it. I intend to do the same this year... sipping on some hot chocolate, relaxing in my pajamas. :hihi:
Maybe it's because there are many poor people in the United States, and they all wait longingly for Black Friday to finally to be able to buy the thing they've dreamed of their whole life? Hardly imaginable in Germany, BTW... We have one "Final Summer Sale" in August and one "Final Winter Sale" in January, and that's all...never heard of Black Friday... :wink:
It's like this, Tricky-Loops:

Let's say you and your family really want to upgrade your TV to a LED/52"/1080p model, but you *just* don't want to spend the $700 or so for it.

Enter Black Friday.

You hear a rumor that come Black Friday, the Best Buy in your area is clearing out the 2012 model of the one you've been seeing at your local mall for $450, BUT will have only 30pc to sell.

That's the sort of situation that draws 'shopper-campers' to a store the night before Black Friday: Truly great deals coupled with very limited quantities.

Just to add on... I'll be doing my holiday shopping online too. I've never been big on the crowds anyways, so shopping from home is an easy decision.

Amazon.com usually has competitive pricing anyways, and last year a number of stores started their "door-busting" sales in limited quantity online too. It's much safer.

Hearing it all being described to people who don't live here, is a good reminder that this should never be considered normal behavior! :lol:

Back in the days before the Internet, I usually started my Christmas shopping on Dec 23. It had the benefit that most retailers were marking down prices to get rid of things before Christmas. The downside was that my friends and family tended to get what was left, not what I really wanted to buy them. It was a trade off.

Since the advent of the Internet, I shop almost exclusively online with the exception of a few off beat shops that I go to for special things. I already found a great gift for my wife, and it isn't even Thanksgiving. Times change.
This space has been unintentionally left blank.

Anyone knows other dealers who are usually making good black friday deals? Preferably with international shipping, as i live far far away from all of this black-friday-celebration thing :)

elxsound wrote:Amazon.com usually has competitive pricing anyways, and last year a number of stores started their "door-busting" sales in limited quantity online too. It's much safer.
After all I've experienced, I'll rarely buy something at Amazon. In December 2011 I was a worker in a huge Amazon stock in Germany, and I've seen many bad things, they treat the workers like ants. They had promised them a long-term contract, but then a thousand of people was dismissed within 2 days. After the Christmas business all the manager said was "Y'all have to go now, the buses (for the drive to the next - rail - station) are waiting on the car park." I even hadn't a chance to say good-bye to my (friendly) colleagues, I had to go from one minute to another. It was one of my worst experiences in life, I never would work again for Amazon...:roll:

8)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldenanalog wrote:It's the American way, Tricky-Loops. Welcome to our world.

After all the middle-class has been through, there will still be a candidate running for President (or Governor) that in large part has made his or her living off of reducing labor/downsizing companies, etc. and winding up extraordinarily rich as a result.

Lot's of us hard-working Americans are seen as ants, cattle, etc...too stupid to know any better; and do anything about it.

You get used to it...sort of...
Jeff Bezos for president?? :shock: :help: He's flying in his Blue Origin rocket conveniently through the space while his working ants (pickers/packers/runners etc.) are collapsing in the (at least in summer) over-heated warehouses...have you read the reports? :?

8)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldenanalog wrote:I was referring to both our last presidential and gubernatorial elections for both the US and the state of California. Both losing candidates I'm sure would share their love extreme wealth and power with Jeff; and it's probably a safe bet that all three feel both superior to the rest of us, and entitled to their fortunes, no matter where the money originally came from.

In a sense: They're the new Royal Families; the rest of us are seen by them as being fortunate if we work for them, even with substandard wages and working conditions.

Anyway: A part of Black Friday is indeed a black heart; it is rampant consumerism defined.
Yeah but this isn't limited to the United States. Most politicians all over the world are more interested in money than in the wealth and health of other people. Look at Greece or Bulgaria or Russia or China - money makes the world go round... :?

8)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldenanalog wrote:True, of course, Tricky-Loops; but we've made a fine art out of it under the guise of business practices; that we're happy to export to other countries.

We may never know the specific reasons, but many enlightened Americans can guess with a fair degree of certainty why Apple was having significant problems with factories in Asia.
Because of the export of US business practice? I cannot imagine that it could be worse than the working conditions in Asia...if I had to work (as simple worker) in a factory in China, I'd rather prefer to go to an US prison, because even there they have better working conditions... :wink:

8)
Last edited by goldenanalog on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldenanalog wrote:Perhaps I have access to different media outlets then you do, Tricky-Loops - there were several widespread stories circulating about both suicides and rioting occurring in Apple's factories-rumor has it that nets had to be installed strategically to catch jumpers before they hit the dirt. Were talking extraordinary pressure to meet supply chain demands in order for Apple customers to get their next-gen hardware.

It was all over the news here for a while.

My wife is from Asia, so I'm partially aware of conditions, yes.

But this was bad.
Yes, I've read these suicide stories. But guess what -- even most of the German companies are producing their stuff in China with migrant workers under bad working conditions, no matter what, electronic articles, mushrooms, apple juice, clothing, sport articles, everything is from China. Even if you buy a Bavarian souvenir, actually it's mostly made in China!!

You surely know the famous brand "Behringer" from Germany? Everything of them is made in China, and Mr. Behringer lives in Hongkong now...

So I'm happy that at least most plugins and DAW's and sample libraries are not made in China. :D

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”