Funky/Swinging Snare fills/rolls

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does anyone know how the snare fills/rolls could be made in this track (0.30 secs onwards)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6aCeraS ... ure=relmfu

I'm trying to use the arpeggiator in Ableton as I'm too lazy to program them in by hand.I can't quite get the same "swinging" or "funky" feel on the beats.

i think the key to nice snare rolls/fills is making them sound "human." By that i mean don't fell constrained by the grid of whatever daw you're working in. a live drummer isn't always going to hit on the exact beat every time with the same velocity. make them sound "real" by moving your snare hits ms off beat and play around with different velocities.
https://soundcloud.com/ryanbrennanmusic ... -brennan-1
hit me up on facebook to talk production and stuff:
Facebook.com/ryan.brennan.7509

RyanBrennan wrote:i think the key to nice snare rolls/fills is making them sound "human." By that i mean don't fell constrained by the grid of whatever daw you're working in. a live drummer isn't always going to hit on the exact beat every time with the same velocity. make them sound "real" by moving your snare hits ms off beat and play around with different velocities.
Thanks for your advice, but I want to use the arpeggiator (or some method other than by manually inputting notes) so I can be more efficient in make these fills/rolls.

How do you do something that requires rhythmic knowledge, practice, and hard work?

How do you do it without learning or working at all?

I don't know.

All I can say is, if you want something to not sound like it was programmed by a lazy guy, you need to not program like a lazy guy!!

8)
I run a netlabel http://oligopolistrecords.bandcamp.com
Free chill, hip-hop, lo-fi, ambient, experimental, for you! (Send me demos too!)

quayquay17 wrote:How do you do something that requires rhythmic knowledge, practice, and hard work?

I don't know.

All I can say is, if you want something to not sound like it was programmed by a lazy guy, you need to not program like a lazy guy!!

8)
I agree with your post to a certain extent. But I feel statements such as those may not always be true. There are many ways of programming music. The beauty of using tools such as the arpeggiator is that you can sometimes come by interesting rhythms that may not be possible or as easy to come by when programmed in by hand. The hard and tedious way is not always the best.

Iam getting close to the swinging syncopated rolls/fills in this track using my method.

dcfac73 wrote:
quayquay17 wrote:How do you do something that requires rhythmic knowledge, practice, and hard work?

I don't know.

8)
I agree with your post to a certain extent. But I feel statements such as those may not always be true. There are many ways of programming music. The beauty of using tools such as the arpeggiator is that you can sometimes come by interesting rhythms that may not be possible or as easy to come by when programmed in by hand. The hard and tedious way is not always the best.

Iam getting close to the swinging syncopated rolls/fills in this track using my method.
nobody uses an arpeggiator for beats. The hard and tedious way here is using the arpeggiator, rather than not. If you're too lazy to make music, why don't you, well, not make it then? It requires lots and lots of hard work, you won't get anywhere with such attitude. Tell me one producer / composer who got to where he is by being lazy. Hell, tell me one at least half-successful person in any subject who got anywhere by being lazy.

the statements of quayquay17 were, are, and always will be true. stop slacking and get to work.

and by the way, you can get absolutely any rhythm you want by programming by hand. and fine tune it to your heart's extent. damn, I can't think of something more stupid than not learning to sequence for sequenced music. it's like trying to play a violin without learning to bow first. or drive a car not knowing how to switch gears.

(took you longer to read this post or write any post here than it would've taken to program such beat by hand, congrats)

Did anybody replying even listen to the track?
Sounds a lot like some kind of "shuffle" or "swing" with not-so-subtle settings was used for this. In Cubase I would do this by moving the "swing" slider in the quantization menu until I'm happy. I doubt that this was sequenced by hand.

Cheers, Jo
You have no right to remain silent!
www.soundcloud/phunkberater

Josmoker wrote:Did anybody replying even listen to the track?
Sounds a lot like some kind of "shuffle" or "swing" with not-so-subtle settings was used for this. In Cubase I would do this by moving the "swing" slider in the quantization menu until I'm happy. I doubt that this was sequenced by hand.

Cheers, Jo
Yeah, I was scratching my head on this one, too. You describe just what I hear- it sounds snap-to-grid sequenced then some swing function thrown on. Doesn't sound funky, swinging, or done by hand to me.

Josmoker wrote:Did anybody replying even listen to the track?

Cheers, Jo
It apparently is, but each sound seems to different swing settings (I believe), not all sequencers let you do this.

Regardless of whether or not it is on a swing template, the arpeggiator will not do it for him.

He needs to learn how to program drums, enter notes, and apply quantization.

"How can I win a drag race? Oh, and I don't want to learn to use a stickshift"
I run a netlabel http://oligopolistrecords.bandcamp.com
Free chill, hip-hop, lo-fi, ambient, experimental, for you! (Send me demos too!)

elnn wrote:
dcfac73 wrote:

I don't know.

8)

nobody uses an arpeggiator for beats. The hard and tedious way here is using the arpeggiator, rather than not. If you're too lazy to make music, why don't you, well, not make it then? It requires lots and lots of hard work, you won't get anywhere with such attitude. Tell me one producer / composer who got to where he is by being lazy. Hell, tell me one at least half-successful person in any subject who got anywhere by being lazy.

the statements of quayquay17 were, are, and always will be true. stop slacking and get to work.

and by the way, you can get absolutely any rhythm you want by programming by hand. and fine tune it to your heart's extent. damn, I can't think of something more stupid than not learning to sequence for sequenced music. it's like trying to play a violin without learning to bow first. or drive a car not knowing how to switch gears.

(took you longer to read this post or write any post here than it would've taken to program such beat by hand, congrats)

If you're going to make this "purist" argument, then we can take it to the nth degree and ask why make music with a DAW at all? After all , don't DAW's make the process of music as easy as possible? Why do we use things like loops, or presets, ?

"Nobody uses an arpeggiator for beats"? I do. One poster indicated that the beats in the clip I provided probably weren't even programmed in manually.
My point is there are more ways of creating rhythms than by manually programming them. You might not think so, hell, you probably don't even eat sliced bread because you just like to work hard.

I make music because I like to make music and be productive while I'm doing it. I don't enjoy programming notes for the sake of it.

Return to “Production Techniques”