Weird Total Composure Email

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I got this email today from Samplelism.
Vote For Total Composure And Get A Free Orchestral Sample Library for Kontakt!
In order to download your free copy please vote for the Total Composure Orchestra at the KVR Audio website by clicking here, then follow the download link from the KVR website.
The title suggests that one must vote for Total Composure in order to download it. The body suggests that one should vote for it before trying it.
"Most people who experiment with drugs are not lying in the streets, suffocating on their own vomit. If you want to see some of that, go to the Pub on Saturday night at closing time." ozwest

androidlove wrote:I got this email today from Samplelism.
Vote For Total Composure And Get A Free Orchestral Sample Library for Kontakt!
In order to download your free copy please vote for the Total Composure Orchestra at the KVR Audio website by clicking here, then follow the download link from the KVR website.
The title suggests that one must vote for Total Composure in order to download it. The body suggests that one should vote for it before trying it.
Heh :)
It may look a bit shady by my book, but doesn't seem to break any rules:
Although anything goes, you should consider how to appeal to the largest market - things such as open source or being multi-platform may garner a bigger audience, and consequently more votes. This is your call though. Whatever you are comfortable with!

The Basics:

Anyone may enter.
Your entry must be an original creation made by you (your team / crew / company / family). Of course you may reuse code / modules / development frameworks, but the actual plug-in / application / sound library should be a new, original creation, not just an obviously cut-down subset of a program you have already written.
Your entry must not break any copyright rules or license agreements - if your entry uses GPL code then your code should adhere to any restrictions imposed by this, for example.
Your entry must not be restricted in any way that could make it appear to be a demo / trial version for a subsequent "full" release. i.e. It must not be save-disabled or beep every few seconds or nag the user to donate / pay, etc. Your entry should be fully functioning and remain fully functioning forever.
Your entry may support any operating system(s) in general use for making music: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, iOS or Android.
Your entry may support any plug-in format, or be a stand alone application / utility, or be a sound / sample library.
You may use any programming language or development environment (e.g. programming languages such as C++, Delphi, Java, etc. or any of the myriad development applications such as SynthEdit, SynthMaker, Max, etc.).
Design and testing must be done in private - public beta testing is not allowed as this may affect the voting process.
During the voting period you may update your entry but updates must be bug fixes ONLY. You are NOT allowed to add new features or rework existing ones during the voting period.
You grant KVRaudio.com the permission to distribute your entry for download via our server from November 1st, 2012, onwards.
You grant KVRaudio.com the permission to act on your behalf, without monetary involvement, for your entry to be published and/or publicized in/on written publications with or without accompanied media such as CDs and DVDs, as well as online publications. You may choose to opt out via a written (email) disapproval of such permission at the time of your entry. KVRaudio.com will not seek or make attempts at financial gain by promoting your entries on written or online publications.
I am fairly sure we will see more devs encouraging people from other forums to come here (KVR wins more members) and vote, promising things etc etc...
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Maybe not specifically addressed in the rules but this is getting more votes by offering a bribe.

Should not be allowed in my opinion.

Hi,

Apologies for the misleading information. I'll update the blurb on our website to make it clear that you don't have to vote before downloading.

edit: Done!

it should be against the rules to fail to promote oneself!

I'm going to give Total Composure a 4 just for that awesome kung fu. (i gave my 5 already to Kamioooka)

Go here and give Total Composure a good vote: http://www.kvraudio.com/kvr-developer-challenge/

Speaking of violations... there are rules for the developers but are there ones for the voters?
Design and testing must be done in private - public beta testing is not allowed as this may affect the voting process.
I am not a developer, just a voter, and primarily just a song dabbler and secondarily a speed scrabble player, but I made public youtube videos designed to be viewed by the scrabble crowd because scrabblers might be interested in VST plugins but anyone can see the videos and I sort of "tested" at least 4 entrants' products already. Is this a violation of the rules for voters?

As far as the "design and testing must be done in private" rule goes, I'd imagine it only applies to testing before deadline: when all the plugins became publicly available, they were "released" together.. which means it's no longer beta testing.

mystran wrote:As far as the "design and testing must be done in private" rule goes, I'd imagine it only applies to testing before deadline: when all the plugins became publicly available, they were "released" together.. which means it's no longer beta testing.
I hope that "freedom to test in public" applies to voters and amateur testers too. :-o

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”