Making music when having very little leisure time?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm sure others have been in this situation.

For the next 3-4 months, I will have to study a lot at home, while also holding a full time job and doing a lengthy commute. After misc. household chores, this leaves maybe 1.5 hours of spare time on weekdays, during which I'll also try to swim or do some other excercise at least some days. I tend to need about an hour of "warm up" before I can even start to be productive when making music, so I'm not sure how to deal with it from that perspective.

One option is to simply stow the keyboards and synths (virtual and real) away for now. However, that would mean I would *only* be working, studying and sleeping for the next several months, which doesn't sound like a very fun existence. On the other hand, it's only a matter of months, then I'll find a better job without the commute.

Another thought is maybe to concentrate on one aspect - build up a patch library, arrange and finish old tracks that are nearly done, create only 30-second loops or something like that.

Any thoughts?
Hardware: Akai MPK61, MFB-Synth II, Roland JX-8P, Virus TI Snow, KORG MS2000R, Roland SH-01
Favorite software: Sylenth1, Synth1, Messiah, ME80, OPX-Pro II, Zebra 2, Diva, Reason, Studio One V2 Pro

I do music super early in the morning, I wake at 5 am have breakfast and run for an hour, I then do music between about six and eight, then at eight I've got to get ready for work, I work nine till five, then after work I practice Muay Thai for two hours, then I'm home eating tea at 8ish, then bed by 10 (sometimes 11 if I'm hyped) I don't drink or own a T.V, I waste no time what so ever... Oh, I'm single by the way... no woman I know would let there partner live like that :hihi:

I do early mornings because it's easy to bounce out of bed if you're getting up to do something you want to, ie: music.

an-electric-heart wrote:I don't drink or own a T.V
Respect. I don't drink either and I own a tv but can't remember why I bought it. Consumerism, probably.

no TV here too, but this darn thing called "Internet" keeps eating my time away...
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

JimmiG wrote:a lengthy commute.
Same here.

Is this in the car or train?

For me it is on the train and it's the ideal time to program synth patches, choose samples, arrange samples, etc.

The detailed arrangement then happens on the weekends when the other half is at work.

I suggest you keep a timesheet for a week of exactly what you're doing every 15mins. You'll be amazed how much "wasted" time there is ;)
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Here's the good news. You aren't going to be a professional in the music biz.
You've decided it isn't worth it based on your current lifestyle choices. If you wanted it that bad you'd be doing things to make it happen.

That's fine You can live a fulfilled life. Prolly filled with much more stability and sanity outside it.

Leave the rainbow chasing and the windmill fighting to those more qualified at self delusion. Don't worry there is another dreamer waiting around the corner. All ready to spill blood and treasure over unrealistic expectations.

Wake up. The dream is over and it's time to face the world.
Synapse Audio Dune 3 I'm in love

tapper mike wrote: You aren't going to be a professional in the music biz.
what does that have to do with anything?
music isnt always about "the business" it can just be a leisure activity, a hobby, a therapy from the drag of every day life...
to assume that everyone who picks up an instrument has desires of fame and fortune is way off base.

to the op, if you only have a short amount of time per day, use it in any way that helps you with the stress of eeveryday life, this could be watching some tv, going to the gym or just picking up an instrument and having a noodle.
if you choose the usic to fill that time, dont feel that every time you pick up an instrument you have to produce someting of worth, you can just play for the sake of playing.

There have been times recently when just picking something up or throwing some patchcords around on my modulars gave me some relief ....

:hihi:
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

JimmiG wrote:I'm sure others have been in this situation.

For the next 3-4 months, I will have to study a lot at home, while also holding a full time job and doing a lengthy commute. After misc. household chores, this leaves maybe 1.5 hours of spare time on weekdays, during which I'll also try to swim or do some other excercise at least some days. I tend to need about an hour of "warm up" before I can even start to be productive when making music, so I'm not sure how to deal with it from that perspective.

One option is to simply stow the keyboards and synths (virtual and real) away for now. However, that would mean I would *only* be working, studying and sleeping for the next several months, which doesn't sound like a very fun existence. On the other hand, it's only a matter of months, then I'll find a better job without the commute.

Another thought is maybe to concentrate on one aspect - build up a patch library, arrange and finish old tracks that are nearly done, create only 30-second loops or something like that.

Any thoughts?
what about weekends?

If you've got up to 1.5 hrs on a weekday, that's more than enough to knock up around 5 dubstep tunes each week...

...or if you want to be even more productive, swap over to hiphop. You should be able to rattle off maybe ten tunes (is that the right term? Do they have tunes?).

:hihi:

I've found that switching platforms has helped me. More and more, I am using an iPad. The device is instant on, can be taken nearly everywhere, and has a long battery life. Apps are (relatively) cheap compared to standard desktop platform apps.

No, an iPad is not a true replacement for a regular DAW, but it is surprising how much software is available for it, and how good the quality is. Because of my lack of time, it is almost the only way I get to do anything musically. :-)

--Sean
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”