Steinberg's Countdown, Nuendo 6 AND Cubase 7!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I love Logic and all, but I feel kind of dumb for buying the Logic 9 upgrade about now... Ha! :roll:

Wow. What an insane update. I definitely will be upgrading, based on the new features (and especially this "ASIO-Guard" business!), but I agree that the mixer, especially, doesn't look quite "finished". They're getting strangely minimal, maybe it's a good thing. But it looks like the last remnants of Nuendo 1/SX are being shaken off!

Pretty exciting, overall.

DHR53 wrote:I love Logic and all, but I feel kind of dumb for buying the Logic 9 upgrade about now... Ha! :roll:
Why's that?

maxxxter wrote:
Aiynzahev wrote:
maxxxter wrote:Well, that's it; I'm switching to Samplitude.

I hate it; the channel strip looks like a joke.

Though, the new mixer "view" ergonomics are cool, the rest is shit.
Out of interest what makes you want samplitude instead of Cubase7?

- a truly serious, professional GUI and fabulous overall ergonomics
- proper metering (e.g. Samplitude users don't need things like that new Izotope metering suite)
- proper docking functionality
- object editing

EDIT: In contrast, C7/N6 GUI looks incoherent, unfinished, now even cheap, toylike and generally - a bit "off". It looks like their graphic designers were fighting among themselves.
If the mixer looks bother you that much, you can fully customise the mixer view, it's totally scalable. If you don't like the coloured knobs of the channel strip, you can hide it and show only what you want to see (EQ, inserts, sends etc). Make meters/faders bigger smaller. You can make it look pretty much like the old mixer if you want...that's what's been talked about in Steinberg forums. I'm sure they'll put out more screenshots at some point

Anybody know anything about THIS?

DELETED

maxxxter wrote: That's not the point; what I can't forgive them is that they've missed one more chance to do it right and made an embarassing-looking piece of software. That channel strip is a disgrace.
In what way? I like the mixer and channel strip based on the video (no clue if I will once I get it). I wish they had done that with all the editor windows and kill MDI once and for all. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like MDI is dead yet.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

bduffy wrote:
DHR53 wrote:I love Logic and all, but I feel kind of dumb for buying the Logic 9 upgrade about now... Ha! :roll:
Why's that?
Er, well I was considering switching to Cubase after waiting on the fence for the last year (for Logic 10) but in a moment of weakness the $199. price got to me (I was still on 8.0.2)... Ha! I've owned Cubase before, and can pretty much use it like Logic, but I really felt that the lack of development with Logic, and Apple's seeming "consumer focus" with their pro apps, meant it was time to move on... And frankly, It's nice to see Steinberg at least making an effort to move ahead. Not sure what Apple has up their sleeve, but I should not have rewarded their lack of effort with my money... even though Logic is still a great DAW. If that makes sense... :)

DHR53 wrote:
bduffy wrote:
Why's that?
Er, well I was considering switching to Cubase after waiting on the fence for the last year (for Logic 10) but in a moment of weakness the $199. price got to me... Ha! I've owned Cubase before, and can pretty much use it like Logic, but I really felt that the lack of development with Logic, and Apple's seeming "consumer focus" with their pro apps, meant it was time to move on... And frankly, It's nice to see Steinberg at least making an effort to move ahead. Not sure what Apple has up their sleeve, but I should not have rewarded their lack of effort with my money... even though Logic is still a great DAW. If that makes sense... :)
Makes perfect sense! Cubase is looking a little more "Logic-friendly" now too, possibly. And I like the fact they're taking some chances here. They needed a shot in the arm.

What's really shocking is that they charged people for that 6.5 update. That just doesn't make any sense, seeing how close it was to the v7 release...

Upgrade pricing here (in Euros...later mentioned the same prices in USD)

and in another thread they mention Cubase 5 upgrade pricing

In summary from what I've found thus far (:

Cubase 4 -> 7 : 249 euros/USD
Cubase 5 -> 7 : 249 euros/USD
Cubase 6 -> 7 : 199 euros/USD
Cubase 6.5 -> 7 : 149 euros/USD

Artist 6 -> 7 : 149 euros/USD
Artist 6.5 -> 7 : 99 euros/USD

Seems obvious that Cubase 4 or 5 users that have been holding out should go get a 6 or 6.5 upgrade right away to take advantage of the grace period offer. I live in the states and Cubase 6 upgrade can still be found for $149.99 and most places have the 6.5 upgrade for $199.
Last edited by theoryzero on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bduffy wrote: What's really shocking is that they charged people for that 6.5 update. That just doesn't make any sense, seeing how close it was to the v7 release...
Well, it does make sense considering that there were 2 new VST instruments included, which they also sold separately, for like 100 € together. Btw, are those included in v7? Edit: Just saw, they are indeed. Seems like they cut out the old ones though (Prologue, Monologue and what not)
Last edited by chk071 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

So excited! Looks like an awesome update. The features I'm most looking forward to are the Channel Strip, ASIO Guard, Chord Track, and A/B comparison.

Hermode intonation seems interesting and is something I'd like to learn more about as far as it making any noticeable difference. Also excited to try the VST Connect thing for collaborating with vocalists.

The inclusion of Voxengo CurveEQ seems a little out of left field. Makes me wonder if Voxengo has been working with Steinberg on any stock plug-in stuff.
bduffy wrote:Anybody know anything about THIS?

Nice catch! An 1176 - if it's anything like Yamaha's other plugs it will sound great but be very pricey.

evo2slo wrote:So excited! Looks like an awesome update. The features I'm most looking forward to are the Channel Strip, ASIO Guard, Chord Track, and A/B comparison.

Hermode intonation seems interesting and is something I'd like to learn more about as far as it making any noticeable difference. Also excited to try the VST Connect thing for collaborating with vocalists.

The inclusion of Voxengo CurveEQ seems a little out of left field. Makes me wonder if Voxengo has been working with Steinberg on any stock plug-in stuff.
bduffy wrote:Anybody know anything about THIS?

Nice catch! An 1176 - if it's anything like Yamaha's other plugs it will sound great but be very pricey.
Helge Vogt wrote:
The nice sounding and looking compressor you mention is an updated version of our Vintage Compressor! It is also available as channelstrip module in every channel

Cheers,
Helge
8)

:oops:

...it's part of the channelstrip!? That is extremely cool!

Not convinced I'm going for it at the moment. Have previously only upgraded on the even numbers (Cubase 4 -> 6 etc) which has seemed best value, nothing in this makes me feel like spending the current upgrade price, might consider it if there's a special deal at any point, or if the new channel strip plugins really are exceptional

Of course the main barrier to upgrade is the fact that this isn't released until December....and it's Black Friday next week - there's NO WAY I'll have any spare cash left after that :wink:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”