What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

How to split audio files without re-saving as new lossy file?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Acer Hyperspace
KVRist
 
141 posts since 12 Sep, 2011

Postby Acer Hyperspace; Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:38 pm How to split audio files without re-saving as new lossy file?

I have this old CD, which I had ripped into a whole 1 hour file at 192 kbps in my computer. Now the CD is gone, and I would like to split that whole hour of songs into its separate tracks.

Can I split the original file into its separate tracks at its original 192 kbps without saving them again as another lossy format? The file itself is lossy, so saving them as lossy again will seriously degrade its quality!
-To get angry is to punish yourself with other people's mistakes.
-You use your ears, not your eyes to listen.
-If everyone is doing it, it must be stupid.
olepro
KVRAF
 
1539 posts since 19 Apr, 2003, from Copenhagen, Denmark

Postby olepro; Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:25 pm

Acer Hyperspace wrote:I have this old CD, which I had ripped into a whole 1 hour file at 192 kbps in my computer. Now the CD is gone, and I would like to split that whole hour of songs into its separate tracks.

Can I split the original file into its separate tracks at its original 192 kbps without saving them again as another lossy format? The file itself is lossy, so saving them as lossy again will seriously degrade its quality!


Split the file and save is as lossless, wav, flac or other lossless format.
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy
User avatar
annode
KVRAF
 
4904 posts since 28 Mar, 2003, from Location: Location

Postby annode; Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:36 am

Here's your answer;
http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html+
EDIT: thanks to chk071 I noticed this app which will do 'split tracks at silence' automatically. Mp3DirectCut may do that also, but not sure. Writing a .cue sheet, as chk071 recommended, is cool too, if the app won't do 'silence splitting' well enough with your material.
http://mp3splt.sourceforge.net/mp3splt_page/home.php
Last edited by annode on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It`s difficult to work in a group when you`re omnipotent." Q
My SoundCloud
User avatar
chk071
KVRAF
 
2827 posts since 10 Apr, 2010, from Germany

Postby chk071; Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:42 am

You could create a cuesheet too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cue_sheet_%28computing%29. Most audio players can read these, and treat the file accordingly as single tracks.
User avatar
annode
KVRAF
 
4904 posts since 28 Mar, 2003, from Location: Location

Postby annode; Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:17 am

Just tried Mp3Splt-gtk on 'silence-auto' mode and it worked well.
"It`s difficult to work in a group when you`re omnipotent." Q
My SoundCloud
timobrien
KVRian
 
1046 posts since 19 Feb, 2003

Postby timobrien; Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:56 pm

Acer Hyperspace wrote:The file itself is lossy, so saving them as lossy again will seriously degrade its quality!


Have you TRIED it? Depending on the material you may get away with several generations before you can even tell.
User avatar
annode
KVRAF
 
4904 posts since 28 Mar, 2003, from Location: Location

Postby annode; Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:22 pm

timobrien wrote:
Acer Hyperspace wrote:The file itself is lossy, so saving them as lossy again will seriously degrade its quality!


Have you TRIED it? Depending on the material you may get away with several generations before you can even tell.


May I recommend a movie for you?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/ :roll:
"It`s difficult to work in a group when you`re omnipotent." Q
My SoundCloud
Acer Hyperspace
KVRist
 
141 posts since 12 Sep, 2011

Postby Acer Hyperspace; Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:14 am

annode wrote:Here's your answer;
http://mpesch3.de1.cc/mp3dc.html+
EDIT: thanks to chk071 I noticed this app which will do 'split tracks at silence' automatically. Mp3DirectCut may do that also, but not sure. Writing a .cue sheet, as chk071 recommended, is cool too, if the app won't do 'silence splitting' well enough with your material.
http://mp3splt.sourceforge.net/mp3splt_page/home.php


I think it has what I need! Trying it out!
-To get angry is to punish yourself with other people's mistakes.
-You use your ears, not your eyes to listen.
-If everyone is doing it, it must be stupid.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Everything Else (Music related)