What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  
KVRAF

1830 posts since 18 May, 2003, from Sweden

Postby Spitfire31; Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:18 am

Be warned, guys - the Alchemy 1.5.1 Mac install is a DISASTER!

I can't believe I was so STUPID to just download and update my 1.5.0 setup that was working perfectly with all my Camel and Sampleconstruct libs on an external disk with an alias in the usual place.

NOW IT's ALL GONE! Alchemy wastes 10 minutes of my time to chew and ruminate and scan after I told it which folder to look in. And then NOTHING!

Why isn't the update fully transparent? Why doesn't it retain all paths and prefs like professional software should do?

I can't believe this…

I'm extremely disappointed in Camel Audio.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!
KVRAF

2657 posts since 17 Sep, 2001, from Edinburgh, Scotland

Postby Ben [Camel Audio]; Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:18 am

Hi Joachim,

I'm extremely sorry the update process has not worked correctly for you. We do try very hard to make our software as reliable as possible and retain all paths and preferences, and test our software as thoroughly as we can. So far we've had over 500 installs of v1.50.1 and yours is the first issue of this kind I'm aware of. I know this doesn't help you, but I just want to explain that we do try very hard to make our software reliable and test thoroughly, but due to the very wide variety of hosts, computers and configurations occasionally problems can occur.

If you haven't yet rated any presets or applied user tags, I would recommend deleting your preset database, as described here: http://www.camelaudio.com/faqs/Alchemy/ ... _scan_fail and then reinstalling v1.50.1. If that doesn't solve your problem, please email details of the location of your data folder, which host you are running, and explain what exactly the problem is (ie. is it that the no preset appear in the browser? or are you saying that the files are actually no longer on your disk?) to support@camelaudio.com and we will help you solve the problem.

Sorry
Ben
KVRAF

1589 posts since 13 Oct, 2002

Postby Breeze; Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:06 am

Spitfire31 wrote:I can't believe this…

My 1.50.1 OS X updater also was sitting on something for much longer than it should have too and that brought me here... But after restarting the new Alchemy, it re-scanned my presets and all is well. All libs are there and accounted for. BTW, I'm still on OS X Lion.

However, my OS X Alchemy library is in the default location. It could be the alias that threw it off.

My PC update went without a hitch. These Alchemy libs are not in the default location but again everything's fine.

FYI...
KVRAF

1830 posts since 18 May, 2003, from Sweden

Postby Spitfire31; Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:08 am

Hi Ben,

Many thanks for your kind words and please excuse my somewhat irate tone.

The fact, though, is that when I updated my 1.5.0 with 1.5.1, I reasonably expected it to be a completely transparent process, assuming that the update would totally respect the Alchemy alias pointing to my external disk (which worked fine in 1.5.0).

Why should I be asked by the installer to name a new path, with the old alias in plain sight (or should have been in plain sight)?

I haven't heard from support yet but I cleared up the mess myself by re-installing 1.5.1 and very explicitly pointing it to my external Alchemy folder. In fact, since I had to answer the phone while in the process, I found that the installer had decided for itself and just passed by the path nomination step! If I hadn't retrostepped it, I still wouldn't have the correct path.

So, sorry, but to my mind an update should know that it is a point update and not mess with established paths and prefs but make the update process completely transparent to the user.

/Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it!
KVRian

757 posts since 8 Jan, 2012

Postby ChiTown24; Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:38 am

OSX 10.6.8 here
installer spent way too long scanning my system, it was in excess of 15 mins by the time I tried to cancel it. The installer was still appearing to run normally btw, it wasn't "not responding" though I did need to force quit it. Re-ran the installer. It said it needed the previous installer to finish first :roll:

Reboot, retry, rescanned...and it worked. What's with all the scanning ? I only own two of your preset banks. It looks like it's scanning way more than just my Camel Audio folders.

Also, the preset browser. Why is it listing commercial preset banks I don't own ? take that kind of obnoxious product placement out of my copy of the synth please. Shouldn't be 'on' by default & imo it's obnoxious. How do I turn that off ? Trying to find a sensibly located 'turn off product placement' option and I ended up having my web browser launched and brought to your webshop, asking me to buy another bank.

between that & the scanning I'm now pretty suspicious of camel audio background processes.
KVRist

50 posts since 23 Nov, 2000, from Dryden, On, Canada

Postby Brando; Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:01 am

Old Crab wrote:My bad. I'm on Windows 7 Sonar X1d Microsoft wireless keyboard

Thanks

Same issue here with SONAR X2 64 bit - no difference whether or not Cake's "Give all keystrokes to Plugin" option is enabled or not.
Alchemy works great however. Really liking the new browser.
Cheers!
KVRian

1174 posts since 29 May, 2002, from Scotland

Postby biomechanoid; Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:03 am

@ ChiTown24 - scanning only scans presets you have installed, nothing else. the process can take some time depending on your cpu, presets installed etc, altho 15 minutes does sound excessive.

the option to turn off presets to buy should be immediately above the list of presets to buy(the ones that are greyed out). once turned off, you should never see it again.

cheers,

col
[ Camel Audio Alchemy ] [ ucn netlabel ]
"Its my firm belief that its a mistake to hold firm beliefs"
KVRian

548 posts since 12 May, 2004, from Oxford, UK

Postby ChamomileShark; Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:33 am

hi, just updated - just checking - is there any way of checking that it picked up the bonus patches/samples? Perhaps there is a new one that I can look for in the browser.

also, thanks for the help with Tim Conrardy - I did have the patches safe after all - I confused myself by putting "voices" in with the presets - it needed to go into data - so that was why it was empty. That probably doesn't mean much to anyone, including Camel support but anyway, thanks for your help!
KVRian

767 posts since 13 Jun, 2006, from Cornwall, UK

Postby MWSOS; Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:09 pm

ChamomileShark wrote:hi, just updated - just checking - is there any way of checking that it picked up the bonus patches/samples? Perhaps there is a new one that I can look for in the browser.

Hi ChamomileShark! (great name by the way :wink:)

Try entering "phasers" (without the quotes :hihi:)in the Alchemy text search box.

if it finds a preset named "Phasers Set to Stun" you've got the new presets :love:

Martin
Last edited by MWSOS on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVRian

1206 posts since 15 Jan, 2010, from Denver

Postby ezelkow1; Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:19 pm

Is there a specific download that preset is in? Ive grabbed all the ones I didnt have and I dont see that preset in my search
KVRist

247 posts since 27 May, 2012, from Vermont, USA

Postby jc_vt; Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:58 pm

ezelkow1 wrote:Is there a specific download that preset is in? Ive grabbed all the ones I didnt have and I dont see that preset in my search

I had asked earlier about the "bonus" presets with this update, got no response. My user download section indicated I had not downloaded the bonus file, so I did, but the total number in the browser was the same afterwards.

Looked for "phaser" and nothing came up. How do we load the new presets?
KVRist

247 posts since 27 May, 2012, from Vermont, USA

Postby jc_vt; Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:02 pm

Old Crab wrote:
ugo wrote: Use arrow keys to step through files in the Import Browser

Sorry, not working here... Arrow keys do nothing.... :(

Not working for me using Live 8.2 on a Mac with OS10.8
ugo
KVRAF

5457 posts since 6 Jan, 2003, from Leesburg VA, USA

Postby ugo; Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:23 pm

jc_vt wrote:
ezelkow1 wrote:Is there a specific download that preset is in? Ive grabbed all the ones I didnt have and I dont see that preset in my search

I had asked earlier about the "bonus" presets with this update, got no response. My user download section indicated I had not downloaded the bonus file, so I did, but the total number in the browser was the same afterwards.

Looked for "phaser" and nothing came up. How do we load the new presets?

Please try the following...

1) Log into your support account and go to the Product Downloads page.

2) Click the link at the top of the page named "download all presets" and save the file to your desktop. (Alternatively, you can also just select the Alchemy factory presets file.)

3) Double click the "all presets" file to launch the installer.

4) Start your host and load an instance of Alchemy. A preset scan will run again. Once the scan has completed, check to see if the presets you were missing are now available.

If problems persist, please feel free to send us an email and we'll be happy to help troubleshoot the problem with you. :)
KVRian

1206 posts since 15 Jan, 2010, from Denver

Postby ezelkow1; Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:34 pm

yup that did it, keep forgetting about that all presets file and just grab the presets file from the list
KVRian

767 posts since 13 Jun, 2006, from Cornwall, UK

Postby MWSOS; Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:39 pm

ezelkow1 wrote:yup that did it, keep forgetting about that all presets file and just grab the presets file from the list

It's well worth keeping a check on that Download All Presets link at the top of your Camel Audio user account.

Click on this and you will receive a single personalised file named AlchemyAllPresets.CamelSounds that contains all the factory and free bonus presets, all presets relating to every one of the libraries you have bought to date, and any keyfiles needed. This is a tiny file (maximum size just 17MB even if you own every single one of our libraries), so it is very quick to download.

This saves you having to individually download all the presets relating to individual libraries you own :tu:

Just make sure you've got all the latest Samples versions (if their links are Grey you've already downloaded them, but if they are Red you have an update containing more goodies :wink:

Martin
PreviousNext

Moderators: ZenPunkHippy, ugo, biomechanoid, Ben [Camel Audio]

Return to Camel Audio