SAMPLR! Out and dope.

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I actually don't think of it as a sampler. Try sampling something with it! :lol: I think of it more as a sample player/looper, a magical, wondrous, granular, liquid, polyphonic player. 8)

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:I actually don't think of it as a sampler. Try sampling something with it! :lol: I think of it more as a sample player/looper, a magical, wondrous, granular, liquid, polyphonic player. 8)
I agree here. I picked it up last night, and played with it, and it is not really a sampler--it's a sample performance player--it uses a wav sample as its base, but it is what the app does with the sample that is unique.

Honestly, I was a little disappointed. I was hoping for something that allowed me to chromatically play my samples (loop points, etc.) This doesn't appear to be the case at all. If everyone were to think of this program as a sample manipulator rather than a sampler (in the classic sense), they would be less disappointed.

It looks like, for sampling in the classic sense, Samplewiz is still better, but there is still no way to record what you sample with Samplewiz, which is a HUGE disappointment.

Thumbjam has some sampling capabilities, but it is difficult to get a high-quality multisampled sound out of personal samples with it.

BeatMaker 2 seems to have the best sampler (in the classic sense) out of all of the apps available.

Bismark's BS-16i has the potential to be the best sample player though, because it loads and plays actual soundfonts, and it is getting AudioCopy/AudioPaste in the next update.

As far as romplers go, Sampletank Seems to be in the lead, and is getting updates that is helping to make SampleTank play better with other apps.

Overall, as far as the classic sampler instrument goes, it still doesn't exist.

--Sean
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Right. It's possible that the name, Samplr, will lead people to have the wrong impressions. Still, what a creative instrument!!! :borg:

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:Right. It's possible that the name, Samplr, will lead people to have the wrong impressions. Still, what a creative instrument!!! :borg:
Agreed! Very creative! :-)

--Sean
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:I actually don't think of it as a sampler. Try sampling something with it! :lol: I think of it more as a sample player/looper, a magical, wondrous, granular, liquid, polyphonic player. 8)
of course, it does not "sample", but still has some typical sampler/slicer features
Who is this doing this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic funkin'?

hopefully in next versions it will get midi sync, record, and sampling capabilities.

As it stands it is still amazing, but syncing it with my set up would be even better :)

First class :tu:
01001001 01110100 00100111 01110011 00100000 01100011 01100001 01101100 01101100 01100101 01100100 00100000 00100010 01000100 01100001 01101001 01110011 01111001 00101110 00100010

Dope. What a blast!
Image Image

Best fiver I've ever spent I reckon.. This thing is great! And that's just playing round with the demo projects/samples..

audiojunkie wrote:
I agree here. I picked it up last night, and played with it, and it is not really a sampler--it's a sample performance player--it uses a wav sample as its base, but it is what the app does with the sample that is unique.

Honestly, I was a little disappointed. I was hoping for something that allowed me to chromatically play my samples (loop points, etc.) This doesn't appear to be the case at all. If everyone were to think of this program as a sample manipulator rather than a sampler (in the classic sense), they would be less disappointed.

It looks like, for sampling in the classic sense, Samplewiz is still better, but there is still no way to record what you sample with Samplewiz, which is a HUGE disappointment.

Thumbjam has some sampling capabilities, but it is difficult to get a high-quality multisampled sound out of personal samples with it.

BeatMaker 2 seems to have the best sampler (in the classic sense) out of all of the apps available.

Bismark's BS-16i has the potential to be the best sample player though, because it loads and plays actual soundfonts, and it is getting AudioCopy/AudioPaste in the next update.

As far as romplers go, Sampletank Seems to be in the lead, and is getting updates that is helping to make SampleTank play better with other apps.

--Sean
Sir sampleton- a classic but simple sampler .. Just got an update too ,which I'm just off to check out

shanecgriffo wrote:
audiojunkie wrote:

--Sean
Sir sampleton- a classic but simple sampler .. Just got an update too ,which I'm just off to check out
It didn't look like it did any actual looping or crossfading of samples. Also, it looks like it has a crappy patch management system where you have to upload or download the patches from their website, rather than a local management method. Also, there doesn't appear to be any AudioCopy/AudioPaste for it (or Audiobus for that matter). I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem to bring anything to the table that SampleWiz doesn't already have and more....

--Sean

Well I did say simple!... It's akin to the first little Casio keyboard sampler, good for making a song out of dog barks only haha

This is going to be awesome with audio copy / paste. There's the option to add your own samples from iTunes. But I'm loosing hours just with the onboard demo sounds! Really great App. I'm I the only one who thought the styling was a nod towards Teenage Engneering's OP-1?

I can't seem to find a way to solo individual samples quickly.. I know you can do the -hold pause/touch sample to play and pause them but it's a little tricky if you've got a few running.

Brilliant!

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”