Music Workstation DIY

...and how to do so...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It will be five sheets total, so all oak is out. :(

The top surface will take two sheets, so that would be $110, as opposed to $60 for MDF, so I think I'll go all MDF. I know oak would be really cool, but I just don't have that kind of money right now. :(
Blue Phase Music

4lb Kitty wrote:It will be five sheets total, so all oak is out. :(

The top surface will take two sheets, so that would be $110, as opposed to $60 for MDF, so I think I'll go all MDF. I know oak would be really cool, but I just don't have that kind of money right now. :(
looks wont matter in the end nor will nor will "cool", better to go with wood you dont mind hacking into for mods imo...it's going to be covered in gear anyhow...my last desk was small but the top I put on it was intended to be drilled into. When I had my old HD recorder I cut a hole underneath it because my rack was in the front and I could flip up or move the recorder to get to the back of my rack. When I had a drum machine I drilled holes so the cables could come from below.

Point being, function over beauty...btw aren't you glad you posted this in diy? ;)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

My current desk is this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... er-station

I bought it from a guy on Craigslist for $100. Even though it was way bigger than what I need (with like 20 or 30 rack spaces) it was cheaper than DIY for me.

I have no outboard gear except for a Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro, which I actually gig with so it doesn't go in any of the rack spaces. I have cheapo drawer units stuffed in each of the lower racks on each side. You can see all the rack spaces that are there. Anyways, one thing I DO NOT LIKE about this desk is where the computer monitor has to go - it has to go on that top shelf - there is no other space for it. This means one has to look 'up' just slightly while working, very ergonomically uncomfortable. So, when you build yours, I would make sure to have it so that the horizontal center of your computer monitor is at eye level or ever so slightly lower.

I've done some hacking on this one, to make Hink's point. I removed the black slotted tubes that connect the main desk surface with the top shelf - believe it or not, those are for CDs. Then I had a scrap 1/2 sheet of plywood that I finished off and screwed to the top surface - which lets me pull the monitor a little closer and put my laptop right next to it so that I have a cobbled 2-monitor system (My main recording computer is a laptop which is triple and quadruple purposed in our home!)

One day, when I get it in a presentable fashion I'll take some pix of what it looks like. I will probably dispatch the entire top shelf and do a DIY arrangement for myself where I will build a small stand for the laptop and additional monitor off of the main desk surface and then use monitor stands that I had built for my monitors before I got this desk.

Hink wrote:
4lb Kitty wrote:It will be five sheets total, so all oak is out. :(

looks wont matter in the end nor will nor will "cool", better to go with wood you dont mind hacking into for mods imo...it's going to be covered in gear anyhow...my last desk was small but the top I put on it was intended to be drilled into. When I had my old HD recorder I cut a hole underneath it because my rack was in the front and I could flip up or move the recorder to get to the back of my rack. When I had a drum machine I drilled holes so the cables could come from below.

Point being, function over beauty...btw aren't you glad you posted this in diy? ;)
Yes, that's another reason for wanting to use MDF. :tu: I'm not exactly sure what I'll want to do with it in the future, but at least I'll have the option of doing it without worrying too much about cutting into expensive materials.

Oh, and thanks for the suggestions! :D

What do you think of my latest design?
Blue Phase Music

rockstar_not wrote:My current desk is this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... er-station

I bought it from a guy on Craigslist for $100. Even though it was way bigger than what I need (with like 20 or 30 rack spaces) it was cheaper than DIY for me.

I have no outboard gear except for a Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro, which I actually gig with so it doesn't go in any of the rack spaces. I have cheapo drawer units stuffed in each of the lower racks on each side. You can see all the rack spaces that are there. Anyways, one thing I DO NOT LIKE about this desk is where the computer monitor has to go - it has to go on that top shelf - there is no other space for it. This means one has to look 'up' just slightly while working, very ergonomically uncomfortable. So, when you build yours, I would make sure to have it so that the horizontal center of your computer monitor is at eye level or ever so slightly lower.

I've done some hacking on this one, to make Hink's point. I removed the black slotted tubes that connect the main desk surface with the top shelf - believe it or not, those are for CDs. Then I had a scrap 1/2 sheet of plywood that I finished off and screwed to the top surface - which lets me pull the monitor a little closer and put my laptop right next to it so that I have a cobbled 2-monitor system (My main recording computer is a laptop which is triple and quadruple purposed in our home!)

One day, when I get it in a presentable fashion I'll take some pix of what it looks like. I will probably dispatch the entire top shelf and do a DIY arrangement for myself where I will build a small stand for the laptop and additional monitor off of the main desk surface and then use monitor stands that I had built for my monitors before I got this desk.
I was looking at that desk at Musician's Friend, but to be honest, my computer case won't fit in it. It's a full-tower, and I'm not about to give it up.

I did look on Craig's List, but there was nothing at the time. I'll keep looking, but if I don't find anything I like before about next weekend, I'm going ahead with this project. I just hope it's not too cold to work on it once I have the wood.

It will take me a little longer to get the funds for the rails and covers, but for now I can just set my interface where it will go.

The other thing I know I'll need to get, but can't right now, is sound foam for treating my room and for bass traps in the corner. I wish they sold it in smaller quantities, because $300 for bass trapping wedges is a lot of money.

I can't wait to get this done. It's going to be so much better than what I have now, and I believe I'll be able to keep it more organized than what my desk is like right now, too. Also, not having my printer out in the open where my cats attack it when I'm printing will be nice. ;)

Thanks for your input, everyone. If there are any other suggestions before I get started on this, I'd really appreciate it. :)
Blue Phase Music

again 4lb Kitty, dont spend money on rack rails, wood works well and can be replaced at a drop of a pin...at least on a desk that isn't going anywhere.

FWIW my desk is a computer desk that I modified for my use, I looked at many desks and settled for this one...I'm seriously considering cutting the legs off of it and building an isolation box beneath the desk that I can put combo amps or 1x12/2x12 cabs in but that will have wait until spring. :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

4lb Kitty wrote:Image
I'm surprised no one has asked about the angle at the back of the right side. :hihi:
Blue Phase Music

Hink wrote:again 4lb Kitty, dont spend money on rack rails, wood works well and can be replaced at a drop of a pin...at least on a desk that isn't going anywhere.
I know wood would work just fine, but I'm a metal person. I really want some metal on this all-wood desk. Call me silly, but it's something I just want. ;)
Hink wrote:FWIW my desk is a computer desk that I modified for my use, I looked at many desks and settled for this one...I'm seriously considering cutting the legs off of it and building an isolation box beneath the desk that I can put combo amps or 1x12/2x12 cabs in but that will have wait until spring. :tu:
Sounds good! :)

I've been looking at other custom workstations on the net, and I really like some of them, but I know a lot of them were made using CNC routers.

If Mark's work hadn't been bought out by the asshole that it was, I would have access to a CNC router.

Sucks, don't it? :(
Blue Phase Music

why on earth would you want access to a CNC router for a single run operation? (you must be testing me :hihi: ) Again especially with wood and no real complexity. A decent router will work just fine, if I had access to one I'm not even sure I would use a milling machine like a Bridgeport. Sure it would be precise but I can get the same results with a jig and guides using a hand router without subjecting a metal working machine to sawdust which just means cleaning the machine right away very thoroughly (damn stuff absorbs oil and clogs up the lubrication system of a machine too easily, spend more time cleaning than doing the operation) Dont get me wrong, I might use a milling machine on wood but not in this instance :shrug:

For that matter, since it is almost entirely right angle cuts, you can get these done at the local Home Depot or Lowes if you have your measurements done right. Normally they'll do it for free. As with all woodworking, measure lots of times, cut once.

Every Home Depot I've ever used has a couple of large format, precise enough saws for cutting both sheet stock as well as framing/trim stock at right angles, not sure about something other than right angles.

This will make transport of the MDF or plywood that you use even easier. I would opt for a finished plywood for the main horizontal desk surface, or even stock counter-top laminated MDF, just to make it spill proof, give you a nice beveled edge, etc. With how small the actual surface is, you can probably even pick this up for free from a local Craigslist ad or by contacting a lower-end kitchen design/contractor.

-Scott

No, no, no. ;)

I wasn't saying I needed a CNC router for this project, but for other ideas that I have based on other sound desks I've seen around the 'net. ;)

I hadn't thought of actually being able to cut at Home Depot, though. I was going to buy form Menards because they treat their 4x8 sheets better (laying them flat on a flat surface), and Home Depot and Lowes tend to lay theirs down so they warp, but if I can find good enough sheets at Home Depot, I'll ask to see if I can cut them there. It will be a lot easier than using a circular saw to make all of the cuts and make sure they're all at right angles. :phew:

As for protection, my plan is to use a couple of coats of high-build primer, a couple of coats of paint, and a few coats of polyurethane. I think that will keep it sufficiently liquid-proof. :)
Blue Phase Music

4lb Kitty wrote:
I hadn't thought of actually being able to cut at Home Depot, though. I was going to buy form Menards because they treat their 4x8 sheets better
Call up your local Menards and see if they have a sheet cutter and will they do it for free. Home Depots do this in general, not sure about Lowe's.

-Scott

Will do! :tu:
Blue Phase Music

with the desktop I mentioned earlier that's what I did...I went to HD and they cut it to size ;)

It looks like this is on hold until after the holidays. I've spent all my money on christmas presents. :cry:
Blue Phase Music

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”