Hydra (ElectroProg - Seismic Exhumation)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

layzer wrote:great toe tappin smorgasborg of sounds and rythms on this one, tim. kinda had
a bit of a kraftwerky sound with the filter Q clicks. (a sound i'll never get tired of):hihi:
and the random cello in there added some strangeness in a good way. cool, cool track 8)
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Dave. Glad you liked it :) I think those clicky percussion things were the last change I made to the track before mixing. They were originally a "clanky" cymbal-like sound.

I love cello, such a great sound...it works. Then an unexpected shift in sounds. You have the strangest sounds here, but they still seem to hold together.

Me likes!
Thanks for sharing!

Really like the intro. The whole thing's quite nice, and I like the mix of sounds here. Enjoyed. Thank you.
No longer a moderator.

mr.me wrote:I love cello, such a great sound...it works. Then an unexpected shift in sounds. You have the strangest sounds here, but they still seem to hold together.

Me likes!
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks very much for checking this out mr.me. Glad you liked it :)

I like "mixing it up" a bit. Whether it's genres or sounds. It's all good clean fun and should be encouraged wherever possible. The next one is a little more conventional in style. Ambient sounds but with a rhythmic base.

D.H. Miltz wrote:Really like the intro. The whole thing's quite nice, and I like the mix of sounds here. Enjoyed. Thank you.
Thanks very much for checking this out and commenting DHM. Glad you liked it :)

I enjoyed putting this together. When it came to the remix, I pushed it just a little further.

Final bump before remix itch onset :o

Another strong and varied composition. Love the cello intro.

As far as the mix goes, I think some sounds are a little too loud and upfront (dry). Personally I would have lowered certain sounds and added more reverb or other effects to get them to sit better in the mix.

It seems like all of your pieces are 6-7 minutes. Perhaps writing a shorter piece would be an interesting exercise for you?

FrantzM wrote:Another strong and varied composition. Love the cello intro.

As far as the mix goes, I think some sounds are a little too loud and upfront (dry). Personally I would have lowered certain sounds and added more reverb or other effects to get them to sit better in the mix.

It seems like all of your pieces are 6-7 minutes. Perhaps writing a shorter piece would be an interesting exercise for you?

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, FrantzM. I hope you liked it :)

Mixwise, I was trying to do something a little different on here by opposing the more "natural" sounds with the more obvious electronic textures. Part of that was keeping the drum synth fairly high in the mix to contrast with the cello. I didn't put very much reverb on the drum synth. I thought it would make it "punchier". I might remix this again in a few months when I get my act together.

You are right. Most of my pieces are approx. 6-7 minutes. I think that's a comfort zone for me, although I have a couple of 12 minute pieces and a few 3-5 minute tracks on SoundCloud. I have just started remixing the next track. It's currently at 7:39. I invariably begin the process trying to shave off about a minute or so, and then find another bridge and the track grows again :(

The next track certainly has a less "dry" sound.

seismic1 wrote: Thanks very much for listening and commenting, FrantzM. I hope you liked it :)
I really do like it. The cello part was memorable enough that I could hum it today from memory. This is a good sign.
seismic1 wrote: Mixwise, I was trying to do something a little different on here by opposing the more "natural" sounds with the more obvious electronic textures. Part of that was keeping the drum synth fairly high in the mix to contrast with the cello. I didn't put very much reverb on the drum synth. I thought it would make it "punchier". I might remix this again in a few months when I get my act together.
The drums are not bothering me. One example would be the synth riff that starts at 0:59. I think it is a touch too dry and loud.
seismic1 wrote: You are right. Most of my pieces are approx. 6-7 minutes. I think that's a comfort zone for me, although I have a couple of 12 minute pieces and a few 3-5 minute tracks on SoundCloud.
I am not just thinking about the constant length of your pieces but also their intricacy. I had a really interesting discussion about this with a friend many years ago. I came to the realization that most of my favorite tracks to listen to are incredibly simple but I was writing very elaborate pieces with complex arrangements and wasn't happy with them. It finally occurred to me that I didn't have the confidence at the time to go with simple ideas. Somehow I worked through that and I am writing much simpler stuff now and am happier with it. It may not be applicable to you but I thought I would share that for what it's worth.

FrantzM wrote:The cello part was memorable enough that I could hum it today from memory. This is a good sign.
...........insidiously creepin' into your consciousness...........
FrantzM wrote:One example would be the synth riff that starts at 0:59. I think it is a touch too dry and loud.
It is dry and loud for sure. That was intentional and was in the original version of the track (June 2010). I guess familiarity had anaesthetised me.

FrantzM wrote: I am not just thinking about the constant length of your pieces but also their intricacy. I had a really interesting discussion about this with a friend many years ago. I came to the realization that most of my favorite tracks to listen to are incredibly simple but I was writing very elaborate pieces with complex arrangements and wasn't happy with them. It finally occurred to me that I didn't have the confidence at the time to go with simple ideas. Somehow I worked through that and I am writing much simpler stuff now and am happier with it. It may not be applicable to you but I thought I would share that for what it's worth.
I think you make a good point. I find that shorter, simpler pieces present a different challenge, both in terms of composition and arrangement. I have thought about this and am not sure what will happen when I "get back in the saddle" sometime next year. All of the tracks I have put up here are remixes of old pieces. I'm trying to "close the book" on these, whilst retaining their original look and feel.

One project that I may become involved with might involve some "minimal techno". That could be interesting :shock: I doubt that it will remain so blissfully minimal after my contribution :(

seismic1 wrote: It is dry and loud for sure. That was intentional and was in the original version of the track (June 2010). I guess familiarity had anaesthetised me.
If it was intentional, then it's a feature not a bug. :)
seismic1 wrote: I think you make a good point. I find that shorter, simpler pieces present a different challenge, both in terms of composition and arrangement. I have thought about this and am not sure what will happen when I "get back in the saddle" sometime next year. All of the tracks I have put up here are remixes of old pieces. I'm trying to "close the book" on

Since you are finishing pieces and they are coming out well, I don't think this is a big issue for you. I was abandoning pieces after putting in serious work on them and it became clear I needed to "reboot" my whole approach. Just thought I'd mention it because sometimes I listen to parts of your work and think, "Is this part necessary? Would it be stronger without this section?"

FrantzM wrote: It seems like all of your pieces are 6-7 minutes. Perhaps writing a shorter piece would be an interesting exercise for you?
I've just finished the structural remixing of Itch. It started out at 7:38. I have it down to.....................6:32. Right in the middle of that zone again :)

seismic1 wrote: I've just finished the structural remixing of Itch. It started out at 7:38. I have it down to.....................6:32. Right in the middle of that zone again :)
Yes, we all have our comfort zones. :)

Great clear mix. Love the gruff cello sections particularly. They give a pleasing rough edge to the smoothness elsewhere. Nice stuff.
seismic1 wrote:I took some inspiration from XTC's "River Of Orchids" for that.
Ah, I can see that now.

Barnadine wrote:Great clear mix. Love the gruff cello sections particularly. They give a pleasing rough edge to the smoothness elsewhere. Nice stuff.
seismic1 wrote:I took some inspiration from XTC's "River Of Orchids" for that.
Ah, I can see that now.
Thanks for checking this out and for commenting, Barnardine. Glad you liked it :)

I just got hold of Miroslav Philharmonik. I've just had an idea for a possible future remix of this :shock:

Return to “Music Cafe”