What iPad DAW really uses the iPad functionality the best?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there really a good "tablet" DAW that take advantage of all the good gestures and tactility? I have Tabletop which I really like but I would not call it the most convenient DAW

:help:

Hi Soph,

BeatMaker 2 & Auria work well for me, but everyone has different preferences. To give u a full answer would require writing a massive review. I recommend searching the net for reviews of apps that could work for u - Try iDesignSound, Palm Sounds, etc. All the best,

I like a simple workflow that doesn't get in the way of recording so I currently use Harmonic Dog's "Multitrack DAW" (24 tracks).

IMO, it currently only has the essential elements of a DAW except maybe automation.

Rock solid, and can record 8 inputs simultaneously on iPad.

I believe there's an update coming out soon too. Must be additional features because there's no bugs AFAIK.

http://www.harmonicdog.com/
"All generalizations are false".
"Don't quantize me bro"!

I agree with what has been mentioned already. I would also like to add that Garageband has something called "Smart Instruments," which I think take good advantage of the touch interface that the iPad uses. Also, there are several midi controller apps that make good use of the touch pad surface.

Auria is going to be adding MIDI at some point, which will make it the most powerful DAW available for the iPad. For now though, there are several all-in-one solutions that go a long way towards doing everything in the box. As mentioned above, Beatmaker 2 is showing a lot of great potential as an all in one solution. Meteor is another one. MusicStudio or FLStudio Mobile 2 might be worth looking at too.

Or, if you want to keep components separate, you could try a combination of Genome Midi Sequencer, various synths, and a multitrack recorder (such as Multitrack DAW or Auria).

--Sean
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

I agree with Sean about Music Studio - this is my favourite midi editor, recorder, & sequencer - & now it has background audio & virtual midi, you can control multiple apps with it - v.cool stuff <3

As far GarageBand, I never really got into it - but might try & give it another whirl just for the smart instruments! Also, for GB I read a tip on the Nanostudio forums (another great app btw) that altho GB doesn't have ACP, it does have an email function, but instead of emailing, u can use open with to open in compatible apps :)

gdog wrote:I agree with Sean about Music Studio - this is my favourite midi editor, recorder, & sequencer - & now it has background audio & virtual midi, you can control multiple apps with it - v.cool stuff <3

As far GarageBand, I never really got into it - but might try & give it another whirl just for the smart instruments! Also, for GB I read a tip on the Nanostudio forums (another great app btw) that altho GB doesn't have ACP, it does have an email function, but instead of emailing, u can use open with to open in compatible apps :)
Great suggestion! Beatmaker 2 does appeal to me I might have to check it out I have GarageBand because it was a good price but I havent really played with it yet because none of the stuff really appealed to me but i will give it all a look :) Thankyou

Your welcome Soph :)

One thing I should add, is that I really didn't like BM2 at first, but the more I used it the more I liked it, favourite things in BM2 are midi sync, Dropbox, & disk streaming - The new update has added sends, sidechain compression, etc, so it just keeps getting better n better!

Hope u find a daw that fits your style, all the best <3

gdog wrote:I agree with Sean about Music Studio - this is my favourite midi editor, recorder, & sequencer - & now it has background audio & virtual midi, you can control multiple apps with it - v.cool stuff <3

wait,can u PLEASE tell me exactly how it works with GB ? :)
i sent the mail In GB and i can see the attached m4a file in my mail account but i cant open it.theres just no"open in"option.I saw the thread in the nanostudio forum and the guy says he did it with thumbjam.i dont have thumbjam but it must work with other apps as well i guess?!

i would LOVE to get my ideas out of GB to use them in apps like beatmaker or Auria.

Hi Crab,

U have to understand I haven't used GB for ages & yes, I think we both read the same NS thread - http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/node/2804 :)

Just installed GB, u can export to mail as an .m4a file - can open these in Dropbox, Music Studio2, Multitrack Daw, & Hokusai (ones I just tested & work) - which all have options to copy into other apps :). EDIT - m4a files can't be copied by certain apps, so u would have to convert it to wav first, or let an app do it for u - The easiest way is...

...From GB send by email as normal, in mail app choose open with MTDaw (make sure to create a project with the correct tempo settings 1st!), in MTDaw tap & hold a track & select Bins..., in Shared the file u open from the Mail app should be listed, tap it & select import/Copy, then in BM2 (& I suppose Auria also), u can now paste it in as a wav file - see their manuals to find out exactly how, typing it out is a bit slow ;) (I know it works definitely with BM2 tho)

All the best <3

gdog wrote:Hi Crab,

U have to understand I haven't used GB for ages & yes, I think we both read the same NS thread - http://forums.blipinteractive.co.uk/node/2804 :)

Just installed GB, u can export to mail as an .m4a file - can open these in Dropbox, Music Studio2, Multitrack Daw, & Hokusai (ones I just tested & work) - which all have options to copy into other apps :). EDIT - m4a files can't be copied by certain apps, so u would have to convert it to wav first, or let an app do it for u - The easiest way is...

...From GB send by email as normal, in mail app choose open with MTDaw (make sure to create a project with the correct tempo settings 1st!), in MTDaw tap & hold a track & select Bins..., in Shared the file u open from the Mail app should be listed, tap it & select import/Copy, then in BM2 (& I suppose Auria also), u can now paste it in as a wav file - see their manuals to find out exactly how, typing it out is a bit slow ;) (I know it works definitely with BM2 tho)

All the best <3

Jesu f****ing christ,it works with multitrack here....well,it WOULD work but i can open the att only from incoming mails (send to myself) but not from outgoing....aaargh.

So,without an internet connection im stil trapped.But at least one step closer...this app is a REAL challenge :)

Thanks anyway!

Do you have a PC with usb? Perhaps you could try iFunbox (a file manager, thank goodness) for ios. I have happily ditched iTunes forever. With access to the file structure, all manner of (should have been simple anyway) tasks are possible.

mojofunk wrote:Do you have a PC with usb? Perhaps you could try iFunbox (a file manager, thank goodness) for ios. I have happily ditched iTunes forever. With access to the file structure, all manner of (should have been simple anyway) tasks are possible.

sure,but in my case i'm still talking about"on the road without internet(or pc/mac) access".and in this case GB just failed hard.I dont get this.But hey,we can make ringtones now...

OMG,i did it.Finally i won this dirty game vs.Garageband,YES :party:

As descripted above,i couldn't open the attachement in my mail outbox but the solution is:i put the mail in the trash and can open the att from there!

Sorry for being slightly off topic but the "Garagband mail open in"thing is the holy grail from all iOS tips i got so far.Exporting loops out of GB without internet or Computer connection.Amazing.

And all of this stress just because they have (only) a PASTE but not a COPY option *'#ß&" :dog:

Should delete my post,not that somebody from apple have a look at it and prepare a "bugfix" to remove the mail functionality now :D

Hey, delighted that you triumphed over the draconian ios!

I think perhaps your next move should be to jailbreak, and install iFile, Backgrounder, and Quasar. All your Apple annoyances will disappear!

Of course, they'll still be spying on you for marketing purposes and tracking your location, and there was that law enforcement laptop with the 12 million Apple user ID's that got stolen (or did they?), but thats another story - http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenbe ... t-need-to/

I wonder if they ever use my camera . . . perhaps Big Brother wears a turtleneck!

Sorry, been reading too much sci-fi lately - or not enough?

i was thinking about a jailbreak,yes.But that was AFTER i upgraded to iOS 6^^
But that doesn't matter,im using PhoneView on my Mac as a file browser,that's doing a good job (but cost another 30$).So nearly all my needs are covered.And now that i escaped out of the alcatraz under the music apps...i'm just happy :D

to break apples restrictions on the regular way is like doing a tricky puzzle game,keeps my mind young.A Jailbreak would be cheating :hihi:

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”