Basic guitar miking

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello people,

I've been recording simple two track songs (guitar, vocal) and I'm not doing this in one take, so I'm stitching up various takes. Which I've never tried before. So I've encountered a problem I don't quite know how to deal with.

I'm less than 1m away from the microphone, and I am barely moving my body or my guitar between different takes. But each time I record the guitar track, I get a different sound of the guitar. So the song ends up sounding very ironic and weird because the guitar sounds different every 10 seconds. The same thing goes for vocal, but it's less apparent.

You can hear it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yeoo51ycbaowr ... roblem.mp3 The strumming part doens't sound consistent with the arpeggio part.

I've been trying to understand this empirically/intuitively and fix the problem but I think there's a voodoo geometry behind all this, I think I'd better read a book about it or something like that.

(If this can help, I am using MuLab and Shure SM58S.)

Could you recommend sites or books to better understand this problem? Your personal explanation would be great too. Thanks.

Hi neueliteratur

I listened to your clip and I dont notice anything other than a gain variation? The tone seems to stay constant, in the arpeggio part there is a lot of noise(hissing) and in the strumming part the noise is lower, the volume too. Is it the noise you are refferring to?

velve wrote:Hi neueliteratur

I listened to your clip and I dont notice anything other than a gain variation? The tone seems to stay constant, in the arpeggio part there is a lot of noise(hissing) and in the strumming part the noise is lower, the volume too. Is it the noise you are refferring to?
Hi, thanks for the reply. No, I am not talking about the noise. I think I uploaded a bad example. Give me some time, I'll come back with a better example.

Return to “Production Techniques”