Making sound Bigger and Wider?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys.
I'm trying figure something out..
How Do you make sampels\synths more bigger and wider - For Example:
Vengeance Samples and synth - Some How are they making stuff sound Big and wide.
You can hear it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oivJ26Mz3HQ

I know this is a very general question..
I hope someone understood what I meant.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!

I think I understand what you mean.

Sounds on that Vengeance demo you posted are so wide that the kicks seems even a bit "distant", but still centered.

But let me tell you I have this one sample CD and the demo when played normally here, don't sound that much "wide", but much more on-your-face.

So again, I suspect that this demo on youtube are being played passing by some signal enhancer like that one available on iTunes.

I too was fooled by tracks on youtube sounding "wider" than my purchased Beatport tracks, until I tested that iTunes enhancer. Seems that this "super wide" enhancing is done using an old trick of panning part of the signal to the right, part to the hard left and inverting the phase in one side.

You can experiment with this on your DAW. Take a sound, duplicate, pan hard left, right and invert the phase in one of the sides. It's interesting.

But this trick isn't used in mixing because it would render the track inaudible if played in mono.

That said, there's a lot of techniques to achieve a wide sound (some of wich you may already know!):

- Haas effect
- Panning the reverb to the other side
- Duplicate a part, panning both to diferent sides and eqing each one differently
- Panning some notes fron the same instrument to the other side
- Take a synth part and pan it a bit to one side, then try to write a contrapunctual part and pan that to the other side (you can even experiment occasional switches of panning between notes from the two parts).

imyourdj2 wrote:Hey guys.
I'm trying figure something out..
How Do you make sampels\synths more bigger and wider - For Example:
Vengeance Samples and synth - Some How are they making stuff sound Big and wide.
You can hear it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oivJ26Mz3HQ

I know this is a very general question..
I hope someone understood what I meant.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!
theres a fine line between having a good stereo image, and having phasing issues. The best advice i received as far as that goes is the more sounds you have towards the center the wider your panned out sounds will appear.

in other words if everything is panned out into the stereo image, not much will sound super wide, intact this would just really exaggerate the sounds in mono or in the center. so using reverse logic if you have most things closer to the center than the couple of sounds that are sent slightly wider will sound a lot bigger
https://soundcloud.com/ryanbrennanmusic ... -brennan-1
hit me up on facebook to talk production and stuff:
Facebook.com/ryan.brennan.7509

Thank U guys so much!
Very helpful techniques..

RyanBrennan wrote:theres a fine line between having a good stereo image, and having phasing issues. The best advice i received as far as that goes is the more sounds you have towards the center the wider your panned out sounds will appear.

in other words if everything is panned out into the stereo image, not much will sound super wide, intact this would just really exaggerate the sounds in mono or in the center. so using reverse logic if you have most things closer to the center than the couple of sounds that are sent slightly wider will sound a lot bigger
+99!
Cowbells!

Try True Stereo synths :wink:

It will change your world
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Ozone has some widening/mastering presets, which might be useful. Can widen the top end while keeping the lows pretty tight.

There are lots of tools to make your sounds wider: chorus, delay, reverb. Also search for Haas effect. I usually add really wide layer on the top of my synths if I want them to sound bigger and wider. :roll:

That's why I like the Stereo Shaper in FL rather than the Stereo Enhancer. Maybe that's wrong for a Master fx, but I like the way it sounds. You can also do a lot with frequency carving.

Return to “Production Techniques”