Processor Upgrade (Receptor 2 PRO (E7200 to E8400 or E8600)

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi -- I would like to upgrade the processor on my Receptor 2 PRO, which has an Intel E7200 processor) to either an E8400 or E8600. From what I can tell, the Intel motherboard inside my Receptor will support this. However, would I need a BIOS upgrade? If so, how can I access the BIOS on my Receptor 2 PRO to verify its version? Holding DEL during power on doesn't seem to work on a a Receptor 2 model (as it did on the Receptor v1).

Please advise if I can replace my existing processor in this case to an E8400 or E8600 and if a BIOS update would be necessary to recognize the new processor. NOTE: I also see Quad-Core Intel processors as being compatible with this mobo; however, I am guessing this upgrade might be more problematic?

As well, I'd like to know if there is any advantage to adding more RAM (mine has what appears to be the usable limit (4 Gb) as the Mixer program can only address 3Gb in a Knowledgebase item (32 bit).

Please advise with my thanks!!
Regards,

David O'Hearn

dohearn wrote: any advantage to adding more RAM
Nope. It's not a 32-bit OS, so no more than 3.5GB is addressable.

As for the CPU upgrade, there's no way Muse would say that's allowable, for obvious support reasons. Are you prepared to support your Receptor entirely on your own? :)

The Muse guys have engineered these things within certain heat/airflow tolerances. That's not to say an unsupported CPU upgrade would _necessarily_ cause issues, but I'd say it's a risk.

Thank you for your post. These are the processors used in the later 2+ models and are indeed supported by the motherboard. By sticking to those processors used by Muse in the other models, I think it should be a safe upgrade. When it is accomplished, I'll update the thread with my results. I LOVE my Receptor for what it does and simply want to decrease CPU load and increase load times (contemplating an SSD drive too).
Regards,

David O'Hearn

Return to “Muse Research and Development”