Transient - KVR DC12 Support Thread

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Love your Contribution a LOT!

at the moment i am trying to lower the attack on a gypsy swing style acoustic guitar... funny thing is i'm liking the results most when i set the attack timing to about 100ms and raise the attack... so the plugin starts to raise the volume after 100ms it detects a transient...

(but the best result so far i get by using an expander 1:5 with an attack of 25ms)

edit: oh and also congrats from me to this amazing GUI!!! its incredibly useful and easy to use!

this is definitely the best and most useful contribution to this years dev challenge. works great, already used it on my latest track to add a bit of definition and snapiness to the drums! and it work, though when pushed too hard it sounds kinda artificial, but then - just dont push it too hard ;)

also - kudos for 64bit version, I'm glad that some developers are living in the same timeframe as I do ;)

oh and it got 5 points from me, if I could i'd give it the rest too.

edit: shouldnt the "X2" button work when knobs are on minus positions too?

Thank you! I'm really glad you like it! :)
Tehnik wrote:...shouldnt the "X2" button work when knobs are on minus positions too?
Nope! The cool thing about Transient is that it creates a copy of the signal, adjusts its polarity and volume, then adds that back to the main signal to create the effect. This allows you to completely remove the attack or sustain (-100%) rather than turning it down 12-24dB like other transient modifiers.

Think of it this way:

When you duplicate a track in your DAW, the volume raises 6dB. Now if you flip the polarity of the duplicated track, you get silence. If you adjust the volume, you'll get a partial amount of cancellation. Transient is doing the same thing internally. It's creating and controlling that duplicated track.

I've written a better explanation in the manual. But basically the reason x2 only works on positive settings is because you can always turn the volume up, but you can't get any quieter than -inf (-100%).

I hope that makes sense.. Coffee hasn't quiet kicked in yet! :D
-Dustin

Hey friends,

Is anyone here using Transient in SONAR?
I received a bug report saying Sonar (8.5.3) is crashing when Transient is duplicated. I'd just like to confirm this and see if anyone here has any more information about it.

Thanks for your help!
-Dustin

I have Sonar X1 and X2. I haven't noticed any problems with running one instance, I'll try two later and let you know.

Sorry for a bit OT, but I wanted to thank d.bop for reviving the Crosstalk plugin. ;) Thank you, Dustin!

You make magnificent and so essential tools, man. Not to mention you've got great talent for GUIs and programming both, too. I really like your VU-meter, for instance, gosh it's the smoothest one I've ever seen. It's just a sheer delight to look at it, and I use your channel plugins regularly without even thinking about it. :)

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

d.bop wrote:Hey friends,

Is anyone here using Transient in SONAR?
I received a bug report saying Sonar (8.5.3) is crashing when Transient is duplicated. I'd just like to confirm this and see if anyone here has any more information about it.

Thanks for your help!
-Dustin
Ok, I've ran two instances of Transient with no problems in Sonar X2.

DuX wrote:Sorry for a bit OT, but I wanted to thank d.bop for reviving the Crosstalk plugin. ;) Thank you, Dustin!

You make magnificent and so essential tools, man. Not to mention you've got great talent for GUIs and programming both, too. I really like your VU-meter, for instance, gosh it's the smoothest one I've ever seen. It's just a sheer delight to look at it, and I use your channel plugins regularly without even thinking about it. :)

Cheers!
Thanks DuX! I think I can safely say who my #1 fan is :D

clintmartin wrote:Ok, I've ran two instances of Transient with no problems in Sonar X2.
Thanks so much for checking!
Can anyone else try this out too? It was reported in Sonar 8.5.3. I'll be digging into the code this weekend to double-check everything.

Thanks!
-Dustin

@d.bop - ha, I should've read the manual before posting - so the "x2" button basically doubles the volume of audio? I thought it doubles the effect amount (you know what I mean). Well, that's a reasonable explanation, although I think there could be some compromise making it work both ways, for usability sake ;)
Last edited by Johnny! on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

bronxsound wrote: Actually I've acquired recently SPL TD, which is also good. However, after testing Transient it will be my first choice.
Geez that comparison alone is enough to make me give Transient another good look.
ImageImageImageImage

Just wanted to say, I used Transient on a drumloop yesterday that took it from okay to O-KAYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks!

Tehnik wrote:@d.bop - ha, I should've read the manual before posting - so the "x2" button basically doubles the volume of audio? I thought it doubles the effect amount (you know what I mean). Well, that's a reasonable explanation, although I think there could be some compromise making it work both ways, for usability sake ;)
I don't think I explained it right..
(warning, math ahead :-o )

Think of your signal as the number 100. Now turn one of the knobs, say attack for example. Whenever the "attack" portion of a transient is detected, the number in the attack box gets added to your 100. So if your attack is at 100%, that means 100 + 100 = 200 = signal is doubled during the "attack" portion of the sound (the math makes it out to be a 6dB increase.)

If your attack knob is set to -100%, that means 100 + -100 = 0 = the attack portion is muted.

Now hit the x2 button and set the attack back to 100%. This means (100 + 100) x 2 = 400 = attack portion is quadrupled.

If I were to set the x2 button to work on negative values, the math would actually cause an increase in attack/sustain until -50% where no change would occur, then it would begin to decrease again until it hit -100%.
For example, setting the attack to -1% with the x2 button enabled would actually = (100 + -1) * 2 = 198%. A ~6dB jump at -1% definitely wouldn't be good!

So you were right initially. The knobs determine how much the volume changes when that portion of the signal is detected. Since Transient works in percentages instead of dB's and allows complete cancellation of the signal's attack or sustain, the math just doesn't work out to make x2 work on negative values. I hope this makes a little more sense this time.

highkoo wrote:
bronxsound wrote: Actually I've acquired recently SPL TD, which is also good. However, after testing Transient it will be my first choice.
Geez that comparison alone is enough to make me give Transient another good look.
I have to admit, I get butterflies when I hear things like this! [/nerd]

osiris wrote:Just wanted to say, I used Transient on a drumloop yesterday that took it from okay to O-KAYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks!
Yeeeeeeeee!!!! Thank you!

This one got my #1 Vote. Wikid

Simple and the controls are a little counter traditional, but absolutley clean as hell and registering <1% for CPU usage on my old x4 PhenomII. The cleanliness and fine control alone sold me, but the side-chaining just drove me potty. Truly a Fantastic plugin.

Absolutely my go-to transient mucker-upper bar none. Fantastic, and I hope the not too noobish will vote in droves. They'll appreciate something like this for sure... but you're up against the beloved BOotsie

It has sidechain o.O? I have to check that out :-o
:hug:

Debutante wrote:This one got my #1 Vote. Wikid

Simple and the controls are a little counter traditional, but absolutley clean as hell and registering <1% for CPU usage on my old x4 PhenomII. The cleanliness and fine control alone sold me, but the side-chaining just drove me potty. Truly a Fantastic plugin.

Absolutely my go-to transient mucker-upper bar none. Fantastic, and I hope the not too noobish will vote in droves. They'll appreciate something like this for sure... but you're up against the beloved BOotsie
Thank you! I code everything on my netbook. So if I can get it running fast on that, I'm happy :)
Crackbaby wrote:It has sidechain o.O? I have to check that out :-o
Yeah! Click the advanced button and set the DETECTION switch to EXT. Mono tracks accept mono sidechain input on channel 2. Stereo tracks accept either a mono input on channel 3 or stereo input on 3/4. You can also preview the sidechain (and anything else the detector is doing) by setting MONITOR to DET.

Transient is definitely more than just another transient modifier. There's a lot of neat stuff in the advanced section.

Thanks,
-Dustin

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”