When do you use envelope shapers/transient designers?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just wondering in general what situations you guys like to use envelope shapers and where they might give superior results to just a good compressor?

And also, is it possible envelope shapers are superior tools in general than compressors are, for the given task?

I've never really used one, just wondering how you guys feel about them.
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

I find I can use them pretty broadly, but it's always a matter of experimentation. It's probably a very technical (and maybe murky) question as to when and where they are more appropriate than compressors, but I just throw them on (I've even used them on mixes) and see if they improve things in any case when I want things to be either punchier or have more smooth and even dynamics.

You probably saw it already, but I've been really pretty impressed with the new Sleepy-Time one:
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/transie ... me-records

Gives you several more options (and metering) than the other one I use, the SPL.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

808 kicks and snares :)
[for example]
Sometimes I use compression instead tho...
(among others) V-Plugs Uranium compressor is a modern touch to using compression as a groove tool/transient shaper.

Depends... Great on snares for that sudden 'pop', and to punch them trough the mix. A lot of it's creative too as well. For DnB as an example, you would expect that short punchy snare and a TD is a great way to do it.

Good on Kicks too - Especially, if they have an unwanted tail after saturation or something.

Nice on short bass too. To emphasize the attack.

My weapon of choice is SPL Transient Designer. :)

Robmobius wrote:Depends... Great on snares for that sudden 'pop', and to punch them trough the mix. A lot of it's creative too as well. For DnB as an example, you would expect that short punchy snare and a TD is a great way to do it.

Good on Kicks too - Especially, if they have an unwanted tail after saturation or something.

yeah but i can use a simple SSL bus compressor to do all that

i just wonder what makes the TD different. i guess ill just have to try it
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Maybe because a transient designer is easier to use??

Of course, you can use a compressor as transient designer, too (with adjustment of the attack and release times, plus make-up gain). But I think a transient designer is a more straight-forward approach, at least for the beat...

Yes, try some transient designers i urge you.

I guess you could say adding release with compressors is a bit like the decay to release phase of an AHDSR envelope, where transient designers act more like the hold to decay phase of such an envelope, kinda thing, i guess depending on the material you're working with. I would say they're generally a bit more surgical.

@midnight wrote:
Robmobius wrote:Depends... Great on snares for that sudden 'pop', and to punch them trough the mix. A lot of it's creative too as well. For DnB as an example, you would expect that short punchy snare and a TD is a great way to do it.

yeah but i can use a simple SSL bus compressor to do all that

i just wonder what makes the TD different. i guess ill just have to try it
Can you shape the transient of the kick with that? You can shape the attack portion of the kick drum very precisely to add punch making the kick cut through in a busy mix. Transient shaper with a saturator and eq are a great set of tools for surgically designing kick drums for edm, especially when layering samples or synth parts to precisely define the attack, body and decay portions of the drums. :)
Latest release and Socials: https://linktr.ee/ph.i.ltr3

I'm using Flux BitterSweet II for free.
Great plugin, i can tell.

Have a good day :)

IrionDaRonin wrote:I'm using Flux BitterSweet II for free.
Great plugin, i can tell.

Have a good day :)
Thanks for the tip IrionDaRonin, I didn't knew BitterSweet II.

I usually try transient designers on everything percussive and also on VA sounds. On analog emulations the effect is like simulating a faster envelope speed. They're worth trying on anything with distinctive attack really.
Truly mind-boggling music! - New album out! - And a blog!

As OP said, you can really shape your drums with very little effort, and likewise for on short bass too.

Probably hard to explain, but once you use them for a bit it's hard to go back.

Bittersweet is good one for free. Audio Schaack's transient shaper is decent as well.

So far, the SPL is my personal fav tho'.

On kick drum builds and bus/auxes, Sometimes inserts actually alot
Snare pretty much the same really
Toms alot
full drumkit sub mixes
Guitar and bass even get shaped if it is working.
Most useful for drum overhead mic's and room/ambient mics that have/do sometimes pickup just abit more room than desired

Just give whichever one or ones you have a whirl on anything where you may perhaps first usually reach for your compressor of choice (To a rather large extent I see/hear you on 'why not just use a compressor to do the job?' and indeed I use compressors to shape envelopes/transients also so its a blurry area. Still you'll know which/what you prefer and there are differences. Unfortunately none of the software Transient Designer/Shaper/Modulator processors can handle as much abuse and sound great as the analogue outboard models I am familar with).

Works well for me running transient shaping tools both before and/or after compressors in 'series'. There are no rules with these devices so just use on all sources you can and let your ears be the judge, Joe Meek it basically ;)

All the best as always :)

Dean

When I am really stuck.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Return to “Effects”