Welcome to the CK_Modules and VST Forum

Official support for: chriskerry.f9.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was just testing your Jupitae synth, congratulations! A flexibility and options monster :) Odd that it never gets mentioned anywhere, it seems pretty good :) It really is a bargain (the utterly outdated Adventus DF synth costs twice, although after tweaking it does make some nice sounds, I'll give it that), you could easily charge 5x as much, given what other developers charge for their simple SE synths. Sure, your GUI is a bit flashy, that might give people the wrong impression. It all seems to work fine, the graphic controls I mean.
You also got rid of the annoying circular knob motion and resisted setting each default patch to max volume, an annoying habit I often encounter with other developers. One can see from all the little details that there is a perfectionist mind behind that synth, not one of those sloppy minds that I hate so much :P

Your synths seem to include the best of SE, I already have a SE synth called Phonec. When I open the filter list there, it is obviously a short version of your list. In your demo lots of stuff is disabled, and it already sounds so good.

Phonec is great, but the dual filter layout of Jupitae is very interesting as I like to have a separate HP filter to remove most of the low frequencies of any sounds except in bass patches.

What does the Wide in the name refer to?
Since I do not want to buy two such similar synths, what is the difference between the two Jupitae versions in terms of sound? I.e., are there certain areas where one version is better than the other? I am looking for a cheap synth that can make soft Fairlight-style pad sounds.

Do you still update them or is it also a dead project like with the ancient Adventus synth that is still sold at its original price, although it was abandoned 6 years ago?
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C.Kerry wrote:Hello Everyone,
Welcome to the official forum for 'CK_Modules and VST'
This is the place to ask any questions about my VST projects or CK_Modules for SynthEdit.

Why not visit my newly updated website and take a look: http://www.chriskerry.f9.co.uk/

Cheers.....Chris (CK_Modules)
Hi Chris!
Do you think you will update your great SEMs for SE 64 bit ?
many thanks
alfonso

lalo wrote: Hi Chris!
many thanks
alfonso
Isn't SE64 still in Alpha phase (no saving possible)?
ImageImage

WOK wrote:
many thanks
alfonso
i guess is gonna be finished soonish enough...at least from Jeff's words

Gee, with those zillions of parameters it takes ages to make one patch :D

Unfortunately my DAWs don't seem to record the XY pad movements :( Or maybe I have to somehow configure it first, dunno...

Some minor suggestions:
- Double-clicking knobs to center them or set them to default.
- With a few parameters, e.g. in the effects section, one has to step through the options one after the other as there is no drop-down list, unlike with most of the other parameter fields.
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

What's with that timesconcept link at the bottom of your site? My antivirus tells me it is a dangerous site and doesn't allow me to access it...

OK, I just bought the entire bundle, so ignore my earlier question on the differences between those two synths, I will find out eventually :)

fluffy_little_something wrote:What's with that timesconcept link at the bottom of your site? My antivirus tells me it is a dangerous site and doesn't allow me to access it...
TimesConcept is a music company based in Beijing, China. I help them to develop some products. It is a legitimate company.
Maybe the great internet 'Chinese firewall' is causing problems for you.

lalo wrote:
WOK wrote:
many thanks
alfonso
i guess is gonna be finished soonish enough...at least from Jeff's words
There are several problems for me:-
A) the latest SDK3 is very different from SDK2.
SDK3 does not support the old Borland compiler i used for the SDK2 modules.
Just changing the source to work with WinVC and SDK3 would take many months - because SDK3 requires XML documents and all kinds of other changes to the source files - a major headache just to get back to 'square one'
Also, SDK3 is not as powerful as SDK2 in some respects - MIDI handling in particular.

B) WinVC 64bit does not allow inline ASM. The majority of my modules use inline ASM to achieve high performance. So i would need to re-write almost every module to use intrinsics (inline SSE) - they are good, but not as good as full ASM. And of course this would also take a long time.

C) Jeff had mentioned about supporting MAC - which would require significant changes to the GUI part of the curren SDK3 (probably requiring a new SDK4!)
and of course it will probably take Jeff at least a year after SE64bit is finished to develop Mac support - if ever. i did hear he decided not to develop MAC support - so i am not sure.

D) The 32bit VST Bridges available in most music programs will continue to support 32bit VSTs for many years to come.

It will take a long time before all the bugs are fixed in the (Alpha) SE64bit - just look at the history of SE32bit - years and years.

I can't keep re-writing everything everytime that SE changes - i already did that from SDK1 to SDK2 - it took 6 months to create a new debugged set of CK_Modules - and the change from SDK1 to SDK2 was very minor in comparison to the change from SDK2 to SDK3.
Ideally, SE needs to be in a stable state with MAC support before i can invest the time and effort required to convert over 500 modules to SDK3. But i don't see that happening any time soon - maybe in another year or two.....but by then maybe we will all be talking about Win128bit support ! haha

Regards
Chris (CK_Modules)

C.Kerry wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:What's with that timesconcept link at the bottom of your site? My antivirus tells me it is a dangerous site and doesn't allow me to access it...
TimesConcept is a music company based in Beijing, China. I help them to develop some products. It is a legitimate company.
Maybe the great internet 'Chinese firewall' is causing problems for you.
Maybe, although usually it is the other way round, the Chinese are kept from accessing sites abroad. Maybe Google Chrome just doesn't like Chinese characters on a site :)

Anyway, was just playing around with Flexoid for an hour, the more I understand how it all works, the better it gets :)
Did I get that right, using both filters in series one can create a 192db filter? :D

fluffy_little_something wrote: Anyway, was just playing around with Flexoid for an hour, the more I understand how it all works, the better it gets :)
Did I get that right, using both filters in series one can create a 192db filter? :D
Yes, each filter can be cascaded up to 8x stages and each filter stage is 12db.
So, theoretically with Filter A&B in series, 2(Filters) x8(stages) x12(dB) = 192dB.
However, because cascading is basically putting the filter stages in series each stage adds a little more phase shift in its response. And higher rolloff responses are less noticeable to the final sound - the greatest clearly noticeable difference is 1-6 stages.

Cheers......Chris

Hi Chris!
do you think you will port your SEMs to 64bit for the upcoming Synthedit 64bit?
thanks
alfonso

lalo wrote:Hi Chris!
do you think you will port your SEMs to 64bit for the upcoming Synthedit 64bit?
thanks
alfonso
Didn't he answer that question already, three posts above? :wink:
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

:oops: i missed it ! thanks chris and ya'll!

C.Kerry wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: Anyway, was just playing around with Flexoid for an hour, the more I understand how it all works, the better it gets :)
Yes, each filter can be cascaded up to 8x stages and each filter stage is 12db.
So, theoretically with Filter A&B in series, 2(Filters) x8(stages) x12(dB) = 192dB.
However, because cascading is basically putting the filter stages in series each stage adds a little more phase shift in its response. And higher rolloff responses are less noticeable to the final sound - the greatest clearly noticeable difference is 1-6 stages.

Cheers......Chris
Yes, correct, there seem to be a bit too many options everywhere frankly. Four modulation options for all those parameters also seems exaggerated to me. In most cases people will not use more than one or two. Just like few people will use more than 2 or at most 3 filter stages in series. You might make a light version of your synths, cutting the numbers roughly in half, e.g. 3 instead of 4 envelopes, 2 instead of 4 modulations per parameter, half the number of waves in the morph and flexi oscillators, etc. :)

Currently your two synths are so much more professional than the price suggests :) The effect setting options also go way beyond most synths out there. There are so many options that it almost makes me feel like using an external, simple to use TAL reverb instead of the included one, where I feel like I have to try and tweak every parameter to get the right sound, which takes ages. Your synths are for people with lots of self-control or spare time :hihi:

Because of all the tweaking possible maybe it would make sense to include a parameter snapshot feature where one can temporarily save, say, four versions of the patch one is working on. This way one could directly compare those versions and approach the desired sound faster.

Anyway, I am very happy with what I bought. No other synth in my collection is so complete and gives me so much value for the money. Sure, some people don't like SE synths and their sounds, but yours sound very pleasant and powerful, not cheap or anything.

The only thing I am missing is an integrated preset manager (like TALs U-NO-LX) so I would not have to save my patches within my DAW. Since I use two DAWs it would be better to have my patches separate.

PS: Just noticed, is there no noise generator or am I just blind? :D

Return to “CK Modules & VST”